It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge sentences man to life in prison. . .then performs his wedding!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Alrighty then... The title says it all and believe it or not, this isn't a second run media source but the Associated Press itself reporting it. Outrageous doesn't begin to touch it. One well known radio host coined a great term to describe it though.

Stench From The Bench.

So what stinks to high heaven? Well..... Read this one over, it's just unbelievable.

The judge performed the wedding for Danne Desbrow and the mother of his son on Sept. 17 shortly after sentencing him to a maximum term for killing Santos in 2003. The bride said she and Desbrow rekindled their romance while he was in jail, and that during trial she asked Cookson if she could marry the couple at sentencing.

That strikes me as wildly inappropriate right there, but it didn't end there. Oh..but only if it would have. This story gets worse for detail.

Santos' relatives said they were rushed out of the courtroom after the sentencing, and were insulted when they later learned about the ceremony.
Source

Now just how wrong is that? Imagine being the family of the victim and figuring this one day, at least, would be a miserable one for the guy who killed your kid. ...then you find out later, you got the bum's rush out the doors after sentencing, so the Judge could help make it the best day of the guy's life, before heading to prison. I'd be irate too, I believe.

You might even call this an honest to goodness Conspiracy. No question whatsoever the Judge had a conspiracy running with the killer being sentenced, the woman he was marrying and the court officers who helped push the victim's family out, so the fun could start...literally, as bad as it is to say.

When did a murder trial's sentencing day become a HAPPY day for the murderer??

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I saw that the other day and thought the same thing. My main question though, was WHY is he even allowed to get married while he is incarcerated regardless of who is performing the ceremony??? He had been sentenced so technically he was incarcerated.

I thought jail was supposed to be a punishment not a "Do what thou wilt"...while getting 3 hots and a cot on taxpayer money recess??

Talk about bass ackwards.

Maybe this is just one more reason why jail is not deterring crime as well as it should?
edit on 10/29/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

The wedding part isn't all unusual, actually. I hadn't realized that myself until I started watching some of the prison shows with TV crews in for long periods to film life there. They seem to be more common than one may think, anyway.

It doesn't have to be the same Judge sentencing, though and surely not within a short period, on the same day. I'm still kinda blown away by the sheer moxy it took. This Judge didn't think the public would hear about something that wrong? Sheesh... Some of these people really live in a whole different world, too far removed from real life to even relate anymore.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

what is actually " wrong " about it ? explain

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Yeah. I mean, if anything, he only ADDED to his sentencing!!!

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   
That man is knocking alot of stuff off his to-do list...
Now he just needs to be there for the birth and the execution and this judge will have the whole thing wrapped up.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000

The wedding part isn't all unusual, actually. I hadn't realized that myself until I started watching some of the prison shows with TV crews in for long periods to film life there. They seem to be more common than one may think, anyway.

It doesn't have to be the same Judge sentencing, though and surely not within a short period, on the same day. I'm still kinda blown away by the sheer moxy it took. This Judge didn't think the public would hear about something that wrong? Sheesh... Some of these people really live in a whole different world, too far removed from real life to even relate anymore.

It isn't unusual at all sadly. I don't think anybody in jail for murder or the like should be able to marry, have conjugal visits, etc. It is a punishment. That's kind of like sending a kid to his room for punishment when that is where his computer, Ipod, video games, cellphone, etc is. That's not punishment IMO.

This judge was naive if she thought this wouldn't get out... I agree. But she probably would have still done the same thing has she thought it through. Like you said, some folks are just too far removed and a lot of them think they can do no wrong. They don't stop to think about what their actions look like or who they hurt because there are no ramifications for negative behavior 99% of the time. They are untouchable in their minds.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe
I saw that the other day and thought the same thing. My main question though, was WHY is he even allowed to get married while he is incarcerated regardless of who is performing the ceremony??? He had been sentenced so technically he was incarcerated.

I thought jail was supposed to be a punishment not a "Do what thou wilt"...while getting 3 hots and a cot on taxpayer money recess??

Talk about bass ackwards.

Maybe this is just one more reason why jail is not deterring crime as well as it should?
edit on 10/29/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

You obviously have no clue how crime and punishment works. The harder, more deplorable conditions there are, the more depravity there is inside, and the more resentment there is for anyone who gets out. Yes, maybe some will be locked up for life, but others doing shorter stints turn into worse people, and upgrade their crimes.

The US "tough on crime" agenda has only bred some of the highest incarceration, recidivism, violence and rape rates in the world. Congratulations!

The reason many people are anti-social and become involved in crime is because they didn't know what it meant to be human in the first place, continuing inhumane treatment is not going to teach them a lesson.

In a perfect scenario, you would be able to mould them into non-aggressive saints, and they would live with pain & suffering of knowing their previous actions. That is called rehabilitation.

Causing suffering, the lust for vengeance and the ignorant outrage people show simply tells us that many in society have their own mental issues to deal with.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   

ignorant_ape

what is actually " wrong " about it ? explain

Well, I thought I had.... You would see nothing wrong if a man murdered your child ...then was convicted, sentenced to life just in time to see yourself ushered out of the courtroom with all due haste ...so the killer could enjoy the really fun and special half of his day?

I'm shocked this wouldn't strike everyone as just wrong. We haven't come to identify with criminals that deeply, have we?

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   

It isn't unusual at all sadly. I don't think anybody in jail for murder or the like should be able to marry, have conjugal visits, etc. It is a punishment. That's kind of like sending a kid to his room for punishment when that is where his computer, Ipod, video games, cellphone, etc is. That's not punishment IMO.

While I know it doesn't get me any stars some days here, I tend to agree with you entirely. Especially on those that are in for Life.

I think it's one thing for the people in and out on a few years ..and I don't believe they should even be in the same physical prison as the lifers and hard core violent predators. That does make otherwise soft people into basket cases or hard criminals once they graduate gladiator school.

The lifers and predators though? Well............. I never did see the major problem with hanging. It seemed quite effective. In truth, the "Wild West" wasn't half as 'wild' as movies depict ..perhaps for a physical lack of human predators around to get caught a second time.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I agree with most of your post and that is why I *specified* murder or similar crimes. Those crimes are usually "life" crimes. I do not think that every prisoner should be treated that harshly, because well... some of them are in there for ignorant laws, mental issues, etc. Those people need help and should get it. Murderers on the other hand??? They don't need to get married, have conjugal visits, etc. They prevented someone else from having any further happiness or enjoyment out of life, they deserve no less.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe
reply to post by boncho

I agree with most of your post and that is why I *specified* murder or similar crimes. Those crimes are usually "life" crimes. I do not think that every prisoner should be treated that harshly, because well... some of them are in there for ignorant laws, mental issues, etc. Those people need help and should get it. Murderers on the other hand??? They don't need to get married, have conjugal visits, etc. They prevented someone else from having any further happiness or enjoyment out of life, they deserve no less.

So when a man murders the guy who diddled his 4 year old daughter? When a person was under the influence, or had mental issues commits murder, but then resolves those issues, when it's a justified homicide, etc, etc, etc.

There are no blanket statements that lead to correcting the justice system. That is what got people into the mess.

That is why they make laws and call it "Protecting your kids from violent criminals act" and hidden in the legislation there are laws allowing for LEOs to ________ because they believed you were a threat to a kid. "Well gee, see I seen him in the vicinity of a 5 year old."

Blanket statements and generalizations don't work in the prison/justice/crime industry. (Well they do… That's the problem.)

-

On a personal level, I recommend volunteering with any type of reintegration programs (hopefully you find one with a more progressive outlook.) Meet some of the people you would condemn. Judge not lest ye be judged so to speak.

As I said previously, the best torment you can do to someone who has taken someone's life is teach them how to be human. They all don't rehabilitate, that's obvious. But, if you are lucky enough to meet someone who has, you will see the unrelenting sadness in them.

I would much rather see that, then see some psychotic freak spitting and swearing at the victim's family before they hit the electric chair. I also like the idea of guards, and other non-violent criminals being able to interact with the murderers (who you automatically condemn to life) without being raped, beaten or killed. So the circle of violence doesn't continue.
edit on 29-10-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 03:01 AM
link   

you have expressed outrage - but no credible reasoning

you seem to think that the married man is having fun ?? - how so - he has not actually benefited from any of the perks or privelidges of marriage - and will spend the rst of his life in prison

I don't see his sources of joy as you alledge

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Well then, why do it at all if he's getting no benefit either emotionally or psychologically? I'm sure he didn't consummate the marriage right there in the courthouse. Although future conjugal visit rights are a fair question I suppose.

I don't really see any reason why a convicted killer and man headed for life in prison should so much have been allowed a hug to a relative, let alone a marriage ceremony. He killed someone and was standing before the court to be sentenced....and while the family of the victim was right there, he was mentally planning his wedding to come just after the family could be put out of the room.

That IS reasoning to me. Very good reasoning. Basic human decency and sense of right vs. wrong. I wonder if the victim's family had even cleared the courthouse parking lot before the OTHER matter on the court's agenda was started. It's just totally outrageous to me.

new topics

top topics

join