It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Effort Needed to Defend Earth from Asteroids, Astronauts Tell UN

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by pirhanna

The Aliens might look at Asteroids as planet sponges...

Baptism by fire!!

Got a mess so bad the only way to clean it is with fire...

Well that is if Space Aliens are real.....

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   
I believe they call defense a Nuclear Weapon, personally. A Really..Really..BIG one. If we bury the idea, for a moment, that warheads can't have any constructive use, then that is a very effective solution in my opinion. Some propulsion to get it a good distance away from Earth would be awfully thoughtful of them, of course.

NASA Near Earth Object Catalog

The quick display there only has 2 of the entire bunch over 1.5 kilometers in diameter. The fireball (total obliteration) of Tsar Bomba is estimated to have been between 1.3 to several Kilometers across. The blast wave apparently reflected back with enough force to tweak that measurement out of whack, although the cloud at base was 25 miles across.

Several space based detonations have already been done, back in the 50's. A few threads around ATS cover them. So they ought to have a fair idea of how big 'big' actually is in that environment.

Instead of using tech we already have, stigma and taboos or not, I'm sure they'll figure out entirely new things that'll take forever to develop, longer to make and cost the treasuries of small nations to pay for.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Asktheanimals
What a perfect pretense for building space weapons platforms.
What if it's a ruse simply to garner public support for building them?
What better way to enforce a one-world order on everyone than with drones in space.
Odds are good we couldn't do anything about a decent size asteroid headed our way anyways.
I don't trust the UN and frankly wonder why anyone would.

With GPS, our cellphones, and RFID chips (drivers license, smartmeters, wireless routers,black boxes "mandatory" on new cars) they can track us anywhere, all the time.
They could zap you whenever they felt it necessary.
Knock out your power, internet and phone service.
Possibly even plant thoughts or sounds in your head.
We shouldn't trust anyone with that kind of power.
edit on 26-10-2013 by Asktheanimals because: added comment

The only question remaining would by why? Has anything like this ever happened to you ? Not me either . Guess the possibility is there but ummmmm no it's not . I don't live on your planet apparently. Stuff like that never happens on my planet. My planet is called the real world. Where governments are little guys just like me who get elected serve their term and then let the next guy in line have a shot. They are not all members of a secret club called NWO. My one friend who is in politics laughs at that term . I do too. What happens to the politicians when their term ends ? They get their memory wiped out so they don't tell ?

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by nighthawk1954

Nice to see a bit of sanity on Earth! Surely a better idea when all countries unite to face our common and real threats than to find fault with each other and drop bombs.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
There’s an asteroid more devastating to Earth than all asteroids in the universe: the aster-obam-id. It has already crashed on the Washington area.
edit on 27-10-2013 by giugliot because: spelling

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
How about lasers? Have they thought about long range lasers powerful enough to blast a large meteoroid out of the sky into many small pieces? Also could be used for earth defense system against alien intruders?? If nuclear warheads are out of the question, what about a laser similar in construction to the one that was built on the movie with Val Kilmer back in the 80's - Real Genius.

Something that can reach outer space from the ground so there wouldn't have to be any flights into space. Just need to time it correctly so it won't hit any satellites flying around either.

Just thinking outside the box.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by MountainEnigma

There is no need to destroy asteroids. They need to be intercepted at distance and nudged so they miss. The further out you intercept it the less you need to adjust its course to make it miss.

We need a proper deep solar system human capability and that requires nuclear propulsion of some sort. I would go with nuclear thermal since we already know how to do it (having built one in the 1960s).

If somebody starts talking about orbiting weapons for asteroid defence they are selling snake oil.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

This guy is bound for rebel leadership in the coming revolution. Get his name, rank, and serial number.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join