It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Malta? has anyone spent time there in the last few years?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
We are thinking about going to Malta to meet another couple for a week in Malta either in November or January? Has anyone been there lately.. ? Looking for the good, the bad, and any political unrest? Hope someone has actually spent time there. Thanks

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Ahh.. Malta.. What a nice place from what I've heard. Let's see what is actually said?

Crime:

Malta is rated Medium for crime by the Department of State. Most reported incidents are crimes of opportunity for immediate gain, such as simple assault, pick-pocketing, and petty theft. In general, criminals in Malta have avoided using violence in order to achieve their objective.

LGBT: (don't know if this applies in any way, but around the world? It sure matters to know)

There are no known safety and security issues of concern for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) individuals in Malta.

Land Travel:

While in Malta, U.S. citizens may encounter road conditions that differ significantly from those in the United States. Traffic in Malta flows on the left, requiring attentiveness and caution from U.S. visitors accustomed to driving on the right. Additionally, Maltese drivers may drive more aggressively and with less caution than visitors are used to seeing in the United States.
Source: US State Dept

^^ Does that mean I get to call ya a lefty when you get back? Perhaps a Taxi....?

Another source has much more if you want info about what the nation is actually like at a glance.

GDP: purchasing power parity - $5.6 billion (2000 est.)
GDP - real growth rate: 3.4% (2000 est.)
GDP - per capita: purchasing power parity - $14,300 (2000 est.)
GDP - composition by sector: agriculture: 2.8% / industry: 25.5% / services: 71.7% (1999)
Source: CIA World Factbook Extract

CIA World Factbook / Malta - Original Data

Hope that helps!

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Thanks I had kinda looked at some of the same info but I missed the left side traffic (same in Thailand) where I drive all the time.. I figured out along time ago for me passenger goes to the ditch... Works for me...Motorcycle I usually go with the flow... KISS for me works or at least I am still alive...

I dunno if we will go because it will cost more for a visa for my wife (165$) than what I would have to pay for the tickets... She is rather perturbed but will get over it.. Hotels: a 3 star can be had for 22 pounds and goes up from there.. I always told the wife I was a 1 star kinda guy so she thinks I am a hero when I book a 3 star hotel... hahhaha

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

The mother of the best man at my wedding lives in Malta. My mate and all his family have been there several times for holidays - they love the place.
My mates mother is married to a Maltese man and he is a cracking bloke, met him quite a few times.
I've spoke to them many times about life in Malta; typical laid back Mediterranean with a fondness for festivals.

As far as I can make out there there's no real political unrest in Malta - sure there's issues, where isn't there?

As for the weather - winter lasts from December to March time but the coldest it get's is around 61degrees F.
I understand they can have some quite serious storms but not around the time you are thinking of going.

Malta has a rich history - one day I hope to get around to going there myself.

new topics

top topics

join