It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google's Quest for the Fountain of Youth!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Hi All,

Being alive is something I personally enjoy... I would hope that this is true of most people. I do understand that there are people where life is not very pleasant but even in these unfortunate situations, given enough time though it would be possible I believe to raise our standard of living regardless of where you started.

As such I've been an avid advocate of life extension research and so keep my ear to the ground...

So now I have come across a company formed and funded by the mammoth that is Google.

Google announces Calico, a new company focused on health and well-being

MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA – September 18, 2013 – Google today announced Calico, a new company that will focus on health and well-being, in particular the challenge of aging and associated diseases. Arthur D. Levinson, Chairman and former CEO of Genentech and Chairman of Apple, will be Chief Executive Officer and a founding investor.

Announcing this new investment, Larry Page, Google CEO said: “Illness and aging affect all our families. With some longer term, moonshot thinking around healthcare and biotechnology, I believe we can improve millions of lives. It’s impossible to imagine anyone better than Art—one of the leading scientists, entrepreneurs and CEOs of our generation—to take this new venture forward.” Art said: “I’ve devoted much of my life to science and technology, with the goal of improving human health. Larry’s focus on outsized improvements has inspired me, and I’m tremendously excited about what’s next.”

Here is a short clip that was included in the article below.

Here is a TIME interview with Larry...

Exclusive: TIME Talks to Google CEO Larry Page About Its New Venture to Extend Human Life

Google is keeping its exact plans close to the vest. But it is likely to use its data-processing might to shed new light on age-related maladies. Sources close to the project suggest Calico will start with a small number of employees and focus initially on researching new technology.

That approach may yield unlikely conclusions. “Are people really focused on the right things? One of the things I thought was amazing is that if you solve cancer, you’d add about three years to people’s average life expectancy,” Page said. “We think of solving cancer as this huge thing that’ll totally change the world. But when you really take a step back and look at it, yeah, there are many, many tragic cases of cancer, and it’s very, very sad, but in the aggregate, it’s not as big an advance as you might think.”

I am excited by this news, because Google doesn't just have more than a bucket load of cash, it has a way of thinking outside of the box and is more than innovative with a can do attitude, even when faced with something that for most may be deemed impossible.

The other aspect of this is the social implications of living longer....

The negative thinker may say something like, "the planet is already over populated how would we sustain ourselves"

I can actually answer this,

Firstly, economically we all need to work longer, actually a lot longer, currently we have a growing demographic of pensioners and not enough money going in in taxes to sustain them as well as bank for the current working generation.... So we need to extend out useful working life to prevent the inevitable collapse into pension poverty.

Secondly, with people living longer healthier lives, the knowledge and skill that individuals have won't be lost, imagine if Einstein had lived another 200 years what knowledge we may have gleamed.

I'm not saying there won't have to be social changes, but I am saying that the socioeconomic need for extending out lives exists and we all know that it is for that reason that the governments of the world will not oppose, and may even take an active role is this research.

On a personal level, as I have already said, I love life. I couldn't image ever being bored and don't understand hoe people could be bored. there is literally too much to do in one life time to do all the things that I want to do.

I hope you find this information encouraging and who knows we maybe discussing this on ATS in many many many many years to come!

Peace,

Korg.

edit on 21-10-2013 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
They only want a part of the big money which comes from Health industry. So does every other big Pharmas and even if there would be cures to certain diseases like diabetes the cure never seem to come in markets. Reason to this is that longer the patient is sick, more money these patients will bring to the company.

What would make Google any different? As they said they want their share of this big money.

As long as it´s money thriving, the ones who suffers from it are the patients.

You can´t find immortality as long as there are diseases.

Immortality and the money is the word which also thrives cosmetic industry. And in general cosmetic industry is a big HOAX, magic creams what makes you look younger when the thruth is that water molecule is the biggest molecule which can enter inside the skin and the fake sensation mostly comes from acids which puffs the skin.

Well we will see what comes from this and what direction they will go.. Im a bit sceptic tho

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
They retire us when we can see what is going on. They say we are getting Alzheimer disease when old people start noticing that economy isn't right and that deceit is rampant in society. They allow Pharma companies to dope us up and promote doping effects of foods.

To live long would give some people wisdom that would jeopardize the consensus of society. The ones in charge wouldn't like that. They prefer that we cannot think clearly.

I know ways to extend life, but the problem is that the same extension chemistry also feeds tumors and cancer. This is a problem that I am trying to work out in my mind. People do not listen though, if you tell them to add something to their diet, they feel good, then they overuse it creating another problem. So my life extension knowledge will cause problems because of this.

It is not good that evil should live too long. It is the deceitful that will abuse this chemistry and their wealth can make them control who gets it.

One thing to remember, why should a person need to work so long if they were to live to five hundred years old. They would have to put up with the ways of the young who think they know more than they do. They would be called ancient by the new generations that would want change without evaluating the consequences. Things I have learned are scoffed on by professionals in the fields because they have educations. They do not understand I have studied hard for six years to learn what I know and have learned a lot in my life. This is nothing to them, their masters degree makes them think they have more knowledge than I do. I'll let them discover the fountain of youth the hard way. I have found the easy way, by comparing what I have been told from old people and working out the bugs that still made them die at an older age.

I'll leave out hints, I myself have experienced a lot of damage to my organs by medications I took so won't be able to use this knowledge I have acquired. I can't even convince my daughter that what I know is pertinent even though I show her the evidence, she wants to experiment with other things on her own.

To live long and be healthy you need to have your energy level within certain parameters. Too high and too low are both not good. Endocrine disrupting food is medicine, growth hormone food is medicine. These are to be used at the right times. Blood has to be a little on the thin side but not too thin. It has to carry oxygen well, and iron is not the only nutrient needed for this, that is the biggest scam of all. Moderation and timing, we evolved with the seasons. Other than that I will not say much here, I have given some information out in other posts but I will say, don't abuse some of what I say, moderation is the clue to longlivity. Knowing a lot about foods is necessary to know what moderation means.

A three hundred year old person would be classified as a terrorist today

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   

dollukka
They only want a part of the big money which comes from Health industry. So does every other big Pharmas and even if there would be cures to certain diseases like diabetes the cure never seem to come in markets. Reason to this is that longer the patient is sick, more money these patients will bring to the company.

What would make Google any different? As they said they want their share of this big money.

As long as it´s money thriving, the ones who suffers from it are the patients.

You can´t find immortality as long as there are diseases.

Immortality and the money is the word which also thrives cosmetic industry. And in general cosmetic industry is a big HOAX, magic creams what makes you look younger when the thruth is that water molecule is the biggest molecule which can enter inside the skin and the fake sensation mostly comes from acids which puffs the skin.

Well we will see what comes from this and what direction they will go.. Im a bit sceptic tho

I'm sure you are not alone concerning being skeptical about this subject.

To answer a couple of your concerns though, there are essentially two schools of thought on how to achieve immortality.

School One - Biological Immortality - This would be either finding a way to ensure that our cells divide indefinitely with no mutation or to perfectly repair or replace damaged organs. The former is much more preferable as it would allow you to maintain your healthy age indefinably with zero signs or effects of aging whatsoever.

School Two - Transhumanism - What is it to be human? It's fundamental question when looking at it through a trans-humanists eyes. Transhumanism is a way to achieve artificial immortality through either, replacing out the offending failing organs with hard technology, in effect becoming a cyborg, or to upload ones consciousness into an artificial reality, something akin to the Matrix.

Like many I believe that School one would be the preferable solution but in reality may prove to be the least likely. So I think it maybe we are heading for a trans-humanist world of mixed cybernetic systems and artificial realities.

It maybe not what people want to hear and I do hope Google finds a way to make school one a reality.

I don't believe Google is in this race in a quest for money, they already have enough money to create more than they have currently effortlessly.

I genuinely think this company has been formed as the people at the top of Google start to feel their age and mortality.

Peace,

Korg.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
One day people will have the option of uploading their minds at the point of death.
They will then live on in a virtual world not unlike our own existance.
Google Heaven.

Or has it happened to us already....
I obviously bought the economy package deal

edit on 21-10-2013 by weirdguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by dollukka

Robots dont really get diseases, so if we reach the Singularity, it will all be possible.

Read this article:

content.time.com...

There is a VERY real group of geniuses working on these problems as we speak, and it will come down to whether you think living forever is best, or if dying is best. I dont know how to feel about that, I may want to extend my lifetime for a few extra years, and maybe we can also finally answer what happens after life? I mean if we can transfer all of this information from our brain to a computer, whos to say we wont be able to bring folks back to life after they have died assuming we save their memories and have a cyborg body standing by, at any rate, im sure there will be folks willing to try, after all death is such a permanent scary thing, and if faced with death anyway, im sure plenty of people would try?

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
On the flip side of that coin, what if death is truly something amazing and we can finally answer all of the questions of the universe? I wouldnt want to miss that ride to stay on this sometimes hellacious, cruel, earth-realm.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by phishfriar47

It´s easy to think Robotics is the answer and just transfer your brain data into a microchip. The Question is, life as robot even you have a feelings is it really worth living? You feel lack of many things what were normal to you as a human being. Sensations of the touch, having a good exercise would be no needed so there won´t be the good feeling either what comes from that.. just a few to think about

Immortality would eventually stop us breeding. So no mistakes.. no sex

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   

weirdguy
One day people will have the option of uploading their minds at the point of death.
They will then live on in a virtual world not unlike our own existance.
Google Heaven.

Or has it happened to us already....
I obviously bought the economy package deal

edit on 21-10-2013 by weirdguy because: (no reason given)

The trouble with this in my opinion is that the mind is not you. Absolutely I do believe it will in the not too distant future be possible to scan your brain and all the pathways of your neural net be reproduced in software. However this would be a facsimile... a copy...

So the copy may have all your memories and respond in the exact same way you would and in effect would appear to be you.... So if that was the case then does that mean you would see through the eyes of this copy... nope I'm afraid not... you would die and the copy would exist.

This maybe some way to gain the benefits mentioned about not loosing skill and knowledge and be some comfort your loved ones... it is in my mind not true life extension.

The only way to achieve this is to somehow find a way to sustain the brain indefinitely and then have that interact with either a hardware body or an artificial reality.

Peace,

Korg.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   

phishfriar47
On the flip side of that coin, what if death is truly something amazing and we can finally answer all of the questions of the universe? I wouldnt want to miss that ride to stay on this sometimes hellacious, cruel, earth-realm.

Ever heard the expression "A bird in the hand is worth more than two in the bush"?

If you are right then the Immortal have the time to discover this though science and maybe at that time decide to die...

But if you are wrong then when I die all of time for me dies.. in effect the universe is over, no experience... nothing.. nada... something like trying to remember what it was like before you were born.

That's pretty high stakes to place a bet on wouldn't you say?

Peace,

Korg.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   

dollukka
reply to post by phishfriar47

Immortality would eventually stop us breeding. So no mistakes.. no sex

Not true at all. It would probably mean that sex for propagation would be a very rare occurrence, but no sex... I doubt it... As far as I am aware there should be no reason why sex for recreation would be prevented in a world of immortals.

Peace,

Korg.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   

rickymouse

One thing to remember, why should a person need to work so long if they were to live to five hundred years old. They would have to put up with the ways of the young who think they know more than they do. They would be called ancient by the new generations that would want change without evaluating the consequences. Things I have learned are scoffed on by professionals in the fields because they have educations. They do not understand I have studied hard for six years to learn what I know and have learned a lot in my life. This is nothing to them, their masters degree makes them think they have more knowledge than I do. I'll let them discover the fountain of youth the hard way. I have found the easy way, by comparing what I have been told from old people and working out the bugs that still made them die at an older age.

A very good question.

I think you have to consider where we are at today and projecting forwards say that the system we live in clearly would have to evolve as we force evolution to give us more life.

One thing is very clear, rather than a financially led world we would have to move to a resource based economy.

The pursuits of ones life would be for enrichment of yourself and others, rather than a pursuit for wealth.

Peace,

Korg.

edit on 21-10-2013 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Korg Trinity

I don't mean to bump my own thread... but wait... yes I do...

But Gosh people are you kidding me... a project as momentous as this with a very real prospect at success and it doesn't even get discussed beyond page one!

What gives...

Korg.

new topics

top topics

join