It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Book Review: FINGERPRINTS OF THE GODS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Fingerprints of the Gods, written by Graham Hancock (c 1995) is a well thought out and detailed analysis of early civilizations, their legends and myths, and the connections throughout the ancient world; namely, the chief dieties that brought civilization to key points in the world, and the mass destruction which predated these events.

Hancock starts the reader with an overview of unexplained maps depicting the Americas and Antarctica, centuries before either were officially discovered; he then proceeds to move up the coast of South America with a visit through each of the unknown cities built there, examining the lore behind each one, and drawing connections with the legends of the Olmec and Mayans... and the similarites with Egyptian religion.

We travel through Egypt, uncover the Sphinx and the Great Pyramids, and the secrets they hide, with regards to a massive and rapid ice age which nearly wiped out mankind over 10,000 years ago.

The book then goes into detail about the acts of procession, talks about the theories of the Ice Age, cycle myths from around the world, central key structures, and numerous findings which point to there having been an advanced civilization in existance living in a green Antarctica 12500 years ago.

As far as ancient civilization books go, this would be a great book for someone who has never read upon the subject; the level of detail that Hancock approaches is outstanding, and his writing style is clear and understandable, with numerous footnotes and references (56 pages worth, total) for anyone wishing to investigate further. Unlike Zecharia Sitchin, Hancock does not presume to know anything as a given truth, nor does he expect you to feel the same. Not once does he state as fact that there were people living in Antarctica, or that they traveled the world after a flood and ice age nearly wiped them out of existance... through his travels and examinations of ancient sites and mythology, you are learning and drawing upon the same conclusions.

However, for those people who have read of ancient sites, and the mysteries behind many of the structures left behind, a vast majority of the book will come across as sounding tiresome. Nothing he talks about concerning the South American cultures or Egypt will strike any new chords. For those people, it would be best to skim through those chapters as a review or refresher.

What interested me in this book was not so much the information about Antarctica, but rather: the scientific findings and examples of procession (changing from one zodic house to another) and the disasters which followed; starting with myths and legends, we can easily find geological and physical happenings that fit with the stories; more information and discoveries relating to the Ice Ages and what has all been found in glaciers so far (and not just mammoths, either).

There is much to be found in this book, and with 578 pages, I would hope so. It easily meets the needs of newcomers while retaining the demands of those who have already traveled these routes. I do, however, make one recommendation...

Before purchasing Fingerprints of the Gods (cover price of $27.50, or $12.89 at amazon 's copy), check it out from your local library or inter-loan program first, and decide afterwards if it is something you wish to add to your collection. Most of the items discussed in his book I already had bookmarked on my internet browser or have similiar books on my shelf.

For more information concerning this book, go to Hancock's Home Page or check out his review at FOTG

I give it an 8 out of 10 thumbs up

*edit, typos*

[edit on 15-11-2004 by soothsayer]

new topics

join