It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three Galaxies and a Comet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   
This jaw-dropping image has been posted at APOD today: apod.nasa.gov...

Diffuse starlight and dark nebulae along the southern Milky Way arc over the horizon and sprawl diagonally through this gorgeous nightscape. The breath-taking mosaic spans a wide 100 degrees, with the rugged terrain of the Patagonia, Argentina region in the foreground. Along with the insider's view of our own galaxy, the image features our outside perspective on two irregular satellite galaxies - the Large and Small Magellanic Clouds. The scene also captures the broad tail and bright coma of Comet McNaught, the Great Comet of 2007. Currently, many sky enthusiasts are following the development of Comet ISON, a comet which might become the Great Comet of 2013.

The image was taken in 2007 by Miloslav Druckmüller: www.zam.fme.vutbr.cz...
I really hope ISON becomes just as bright, or even brighter!

The author writes something interesting: "This image is, from my point of view, very realistic and is very near to what I have in my mind with only one exception. The human vision has very low ability to see colors in low light conditions and therefore my sensation during the night was mostly B&W."

If I'm not mistaken, you can also see the Carina Nebula in the image, and this nebula is bigger and brighter than the Orion Nebula. They have some great views of the night sky in the Southern Hemisphere. *jealous*

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

God that's beautiful. I could lose myself in that, for sure.

Great find, S&F.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Stunning, beautiful.

I love seeing pictures like these.

Would love to be able to travel around the universe.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 03:57 AM
link   

What a wonderful world...universe we live in.

Thank you for bringing this awesome photo to our attention.

It reminds the broom of when he was a kid, and would go to the local planetarium. This is much better than a planetarium but still, those were the good days. Rarely is anything viewed in person as good as a telescopic time lapse picture. Astronomy has always been a love of mine. Astrophotography is something truly wonderful.
edit on 20-10-2013 by Broom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I'd have to say that pic is just absolutely outstanding. I'm commenting so I can keep the pic. Wildspace, you do post some of the best space pics I've ever seen, thank you.

Seeing that just puts a lot of things in perspective.

I'd love to see something like that with my own eyes.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Wow - it just takes your breath away...

...and makes you realize what a very, very small part of the universe we really are. I think it's good to be reminded of that in ways that require no words from time to time.

Thanks for sharing that.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   

What a tragedy for alien civilizations out there, which have
heavy atmospheres or cloud cover; they might never see
this awesomeness.

In the absence of such wonder, they might never be inspired
to reach for the stars..

KPB

top topics

join