It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need advice on a freestanding punching bag

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Hello To The Good Folks of Ats

I want to buy a freestanding heavy bag. I'm really leaning towards Title Boxing or Bob. I grew up boxing and want to get back into shape.
I live near Gleasons Gym in Brooklyn but they are way out my budget.
Has anyone ever used the title bag or the ringside version?
Anyone know of a cheaper freestanding bag that can stand up to a real hard workout?
This is like my one gift to myself a year and want to make it good.
Thank you.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Prisoner60863

Get an Obama, and get a couple in for me.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

I am a tad primitive when it comes to gear of all sorts.
I have never used those types of bags.

I have always used simple heavy bags hung by a chain.

My best advice is the leather double ended bag because it helps you move better to dodge punches and help reflexes.
A heavy bag for technique and power and proper footing.
Thats just my opinion though.
Everybody has a different body so do what works best for YOUR workout....don't do someone else's workout as it might not work for you as it does for them.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

I would prefer a hanging heavy bag but Im not able to in my apt. The hanging bags are way cheaper.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Ive actually used both of those at different times. I prefer Bob, only because it makes the workout not only about power, but accuracy as well, which works a whole other set of muscles.

Just my 2 pennies.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   

I had to get rid of my heavy bag years ago for the same reason so i GET IT.

These days,I use a rolled up futon wrapped in duct tape...its quieter but the vibrations are still there.
Have you considered going to a boxing club and doing some work for use of the gym??

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Yes I have thought about going to a gym just for the equipment but it then becomes another monthly bill.
A heavy bag, Jump rope,exercise, and road work enough for me and my budget. I miss sparing nothing I can do about that. With that routine no monthly bills.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

I really thought about Bob for that reason only My concern would be it breaking, atleast the smaller version anyway. Im not Tyson or Marciano, But it looks like it could break. The Bob Xl Is way out my price range.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Get a traditional hanging bag. The others produce more wrist injuries.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I have had no luck with the freestanding bags. They might be good if you have the space, like say a garage, but even then I prefer the hanging bags. Even with those you need the right space. You say you are in an apt. that bad boy will vibrate the floor and everything else around you. I'm not too familiar with any newer types but movement was a big part of my problem too. If you hit hard enough it will topple and will slowly move its way across your floor.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Prisoner60863
reply to post by captaintyinknots

I really thought about Bob for that reason only My concern would be it breaking, atleast the smaller version anyway. Im not Tyson or Marciano, But it looks like it could break. The Bob Xl Is way out my price range.
The body of it is acually really solid. I was quite impressed. It actually mimics the human body pretty well.

The biggest issue I had was keeping enough weight in it so it wouldnt tip (i was a little nervous about using a lot of water in the base of it in an upstairs apartment).

I ended up switching to sand, but it would leak out in little bits, which was a pain.

join