It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I've recently gained an obsession with plants. I mean, I've always liked plants, but I'm an animal person so I've always tended to have those and not thought about keeping plants. But a couple years ago I bought a poorly Venus Fly Trap and rescued a cactus from my mam then I looked after some chilli plants and 5 years later she's still alive and still producing chillies. I've also got a pot of grass that blew in on my windowsill and a strange desert plant that spreads out when it's wet but curls up into nothing when it's dried out. That sorta thing.

Anyway, my 'Trap died in the end, after a long hard battle for the poor thing and I missed her terribly so my boyfriend bought me a new one and she's sat in front of me at the moment looking nice and content. I've also planted some cactus seeds and some white strawberry plants which I'm keeping my fingers crossed will all grow nice and strong. They're cheaper than animals, y'see, and with the amount of pets I currently have the food and vets bills are getting silly so it's time to step up the hobby. I'm a student with an 8 hour a week job so I have no money whatsoever pretty much like, ever, so it's a nice alternative.

So, really, in your experience, what are your favourite houseplants, what are the prettiest and what are the easiest to grow? Just in case I start to expand my collection. There's a lot of conflicting information on the internet, so it's nice to hear from people who actually keep the plants themselves for health and growing and stuff.

I may even post some pics of the process of my little indoor garden if I get around to it.
Plants make me feel happy and smile and they're basically just great.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
easiest for me to grow is philodendron, bamboo too, couldn't hurt the poor plants if I tried. Aloe is pretty easy to care for in sunny bright homes. We grow gerbera daisies in the house, they only last a few years but they are decorative.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Ayana

I can't function well without being near to plants! I don't know where you are, but I'm on the west coast of Scotland so things might grow differently for us. I'm not so keen on house plants but I grow anything I can get my hands on outside! Do you have a balcony or a window box? Herbs and salad plants are easy and useful.
Jasmine grows surprisingly well indoors, if there's lots of light and the room's not too hot. But it will drop its leaves, so maybe not ideal. And the smell is divine.
Heliotrope is also nice (I can't grow it outside, it's too cold here) and fills the room with the smell of cherry pie in the summer.
Also, it's really unlucky to grow ivy in the house and if you have somewhere, grow a rowan outside your front door. It keeps evil spirits away!
Honestly, I could bore you to tears with plant talk. If you get a chance, try a book by Carol Klein. She's my favourite gardener, I adore her.
And yes, I for one would love to see your photos! Once you start gardening, it's impossible to stop x

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I have had fun planting bird seed indoors. The bird seed you buy at the store does great. The kind with mixed seeds of different types. Just grab a pot of dirt. Grab a handfull of birdseed bury it then water it. It will grow fast.

Just thought I would share.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Ayana

1 of my favorites to grow is Christmas cactas. If you know someone that has one, just ask if you can take a couple of cuttings, put them in a small pot of soil and let them grow. Or do what I did and find some in your local greenhouse or store, and break off a couple of the end sections and then plant in a small pot of soil when you get home. I water mine about once a week or every 2 weeks depending on time of year and the temperature. Very easy to look after and have beautiful assorted colored flowers during winter time.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Other than the peep that mentioned Christmas cactus...I find umbrella plants to be a very easy and happy plant to grow, they are easy going and are self starters.

Ginkgo tree is my currant favourite but whatever...

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Treespeaker

Ginkgo trees are amazing in the autumn. I wish I had room to grow one of those.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by starskipper

I like the idea of aloe actually. Once I get through my degree I'm going to try and learn plants that are useful for food and health and wounds and stuff. If something ever did happen to the world, I'd be knackered coz of the diabetes, but at least that way if I had kids or something they'd manage. I don't think it ever will, but I think knowing what is safe and what isn't would be helpful regardless.

As for the west coast of Scotland? I'm a bit further down and across the other side so we might be close enough

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Ayana

Oh hi neighbour! Nice to meet you!
Maybe keep those windows closed for your garden. You get a very special kind of cold on your side!

new topics

top topics

join