It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Million Veteran March on the Memorials - October 13, 2013

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
These million ____ (fill in the blank) marches never get the million people that they advertise. Well ... the bikers came close to having a million a few weeks back. But anyways, there is to be a Million Vet March on the Memorials on October 13th. That's only a few days away and he advertising hasn't exactly been spectacular. This needed more time and advertising for it to work. They claim the bikers will be joining them but I can't see those biker folks turning around and going all the way back to DC for this when they were just there a few weeks ago ....

My husband and I are veterans and close enough to go. But I have health issues that have come up again and we can't do it. I do hope they can get the word out and that people show up for the march. Should be a nice fall day in DC for it ...

Million Vet March on the Memorials Website

Million Veteran March on the Memorials

The Million Vet March on the Memorials will be held Sunday, Oct. 13, at 9 a.m. Eastern at the World War II memorial on the National Mall, the location where rangers under orders from the White House tried, unsuccessfully, to prevent vets from visiting in recent days.

The announcement said the group Special Operations Speaks is organizing the rally because the Obama administration “is using the government shutdown as an excuse to keep our veterans from acknowledging the debt owed to them and their predecessors.”

edit on 10/9/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

A thanks for posting info on this event,
bump

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   

How about all 300 million + of us go to D.C.? With any luck, the weight will cause the ground around the capital to collapse and we can start over.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Well, it's a shame for timing and I just can't sacrifice my academics for a protest right now. However, if their peaceful protest meets less than peaceful response and things go badly? Well...me and the college can work out those academic details later while I pack for a trip to D.C. on the followup movement.

I hope they are permitted to have their peaceful protest ...it would not only be unAmerican not to, but would invite many millions to come immediately behind this 'million' Vet march, IMO.

I think the American tea pot is about to boil. We need Obama, Boehner and Reid to turn down the heat, not stoke the fires with reckless abandon to my thinking.
edit on 9-10-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I just wish this was better advertised and had more time to organize.
I haven't heard anything about this on the news.
I can't imagine this will get much traction .... but I do wish them well.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Does anyone know how to get in touch with these vets to possibly add to the protest why the families have to pay the expenses for the 5 soldiers who died on Sunday?

And if they choose to have them buried at the national cemetary, THAT might be on hold too? [angry face]

The memorials need to open to the vets, but this, THIS.....I don't have words for that will not violate T&C

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   

S+F to bump
I agree, I think it's to short of notice to get the numbers they want. But I also think it's important to get out there as quick as possible, considering the treatment they've been recieving lately from the government. Wait too long, and the next big "sensational story" will push it all back under the rug.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Six years after the end of World War I Congress enacted a bill that would reward veterans of the conflict a cash bonus for their service. However, the legislation stipulated that the veterans would not collect their bonus until 1945.

This delayed gratification was acceptable to the World War I veterans during the prosperous '20s but the onslaught of the Great Depression changed their attitude. Out of work, destitute, and with families to feed, the veterans organized a march on Washington in May of 1932 to force Congress to immediately pay their bonus. An estimated 15,000 made their way to the nation's capital and dubbed themselves the "Bonus Expeditionary Force."

Using scrap wood, iron and any other loose materials they could find, the veterans set up ramshackle camps throughout the city. The largest housed an estimated 10,000 people. They waited in vain for Congress to act. On June 17 the Senate voted against the House-passed bill that would have given the Bonus Marchers immediate payment of their benefit.

Having no other place to go, the majority of the Bonus Army remained encamped in the city, despite the fact that Congress had adjourned for the summer. Finally, President Hoover ordered the Army to forcibly remove the veterans. On July 28 a force of tanks and cavalry under the command of General Douglas MacArthur stormed the camps and drove the veterans out. Their makeshift houses were then set ablaze.

www.eyewitnesstohistory.com...

Makes me wonder if history will repeat itself.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

My husband and I were wondering that as well.

I wish they would come up with a second date as well.
This is too short of a notice for some people that would want to be there and have to make travel arrangements, etc.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   

palmalBlue2
Does anyone know how to get in touch with these vets to possibly add to the protest why the families have to pay the expenses for the 5 soldiers who died on Sunday?

And if they choose to have them buried at the national cemetary, THAT might be on hold too? [angry face]

The memorials need to open to the vets, but this, THIS.....I don't have words for that will not violate T&C

Congress is "working" to get the benefits reinstated. They consider it part of the "unintended consequences" of the shutdown.

Meanwhile Fisher House Foundation is covering the expenses for family members until they are reinstated. Army Emergency Relief and Navy Marine Corps Relief Society are doing so as well.

www.stripes.com...

It's pathetic that its come to this.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
They should do this on Veteran's Day, because if so, I would be there

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   

HomerinNC
They should do this on Veteran's Day, because if so, I would be there

Unfortunately, I don't think that we can afford to wait.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   

palmalBlue2
Does anyone know how to get in touch with these vets

The official website
All the information is here at this site.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   

For people that can't make it to DC here is a link for rally points in each state.

1mvetmarch.wordpress.com...

With the truckers and Vets, it will be an interesting weekend in Washington, How much coverage do you think it will get?

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I'm gonna try to go, I'm near Charlotte NC, anyone from the area going I can link up with?

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
like the bikers rally not one word about this will leak out from the m.s.m if it had not have been for a.t.s i would never have known about it .

r.t news was the only station to give the bikers rally 20 seconds .

so pics or it did not happen ats

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Loadstain

For people that can't make it to DC here is a link for rally points in each state.

1mvetmarch.wordpress.com...

With the truckers and Vets, it will be an interesting weekend in Washington, How much coverage do you think it will get?

That was very helpful TY, I am going to ours in our area.
Didn't even know until your post that we were having one.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I put a link up to this on facebook.
I know here in MI they are planning to go to the memorial in Mt. Pleasant. My uncle sent me an email about it yesterday.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   

I am in agreement with you. If we all had more time to better prepare and plan this event (Say November), it would have had an even bigger turnout than it may. However, it may have something to do with the shutdown possibly affecting the GI Bill/educational entitlements, veteran's disability benefits etc, that made this short notice happen.

Heck, "I" would have gone to it if I had known earlier than I did because I would have been able to start saving up some scratch earlier. But now I have to hunker down in Connecticut and wait and see if I can continue my schooling in November. And if this political bs remains, I'm done sir done,via inability to pay ANY of my future bills. (Which will lead to my credit plummeting and interest rates skyrocketing) No food, no driving my car w/o insurance, no nothing until they square this away. To say that the country in which me and others fought,bled and died in the mud and sand for has betrayed it's veterans would be an understatement of the highest order. Let it be known that the vets waited patiently for the people in office and those that voted for them (Or didn't vote at all) to get their "house" in order. They have failed us, themselves and our collective futures through their complacency, ignorance and apathy.

But as Wrabbit2000 said, if there is a second, more...hands on kind of march/protest in the future, I WILL find a way there or anywhere it may be. Semper Fi
edit on 11-10-2013 by WalterKovacs because: Because I'm scatterbrained at times.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join