It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Market Health Care

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Americans will sell anything to make a buck, legal or not. In many cases, the very fact that something is illegal is what makes selling it such a profitable venture. If there is a demand for a product, that product will be created and sold. A vacuum has been created in the American health care system—affordable care, ironically. That vacuum will inevitably (and rather quickly) be filled.

So your employer has reduced your hours at work in order to classify you as part-time in avoidance of providing you with benefits. No benefits, smaller paycheck. There’s no way you can afford health care within or apart from the exchange program, and besides, it would cost you less to just pay the fine at the end of the year anyway.

But you still need a doctor. You’re still going to get sick or twist an ankle now and then. So where do you go? You can’t go to the hospital, or any licensed practitioner, because they’ll find out you don’t have health insurance and HHS will come a-knockin’. But…

…it’s rumored that Dr. Robert down the street has an “independent practice” and can stitch that cut up semi-professionally for fifty bucks. $250 if you want anesthesia, painkillers going for $10 a pop. Follow-up visits 50% off. Cash/barter only. I don’t know you and this never happened.

Of course, to prevent this they will make it illegal (if it isn’t already) for you to seek or receive health services from an unlicensed practitioner (or a licensed one operating outside the system). Whereas before it was only illegal to practice medicine without a license, they will now have to criminalize all parties in the transaction. Both the crack dealer and the crack user go to jail, the doctor and the patient.

But I suppose there’s a silver lining here. Pretenses are dropped and we clearly see how our health care system operates. Instead of maintaining a façade of humanitarianism, doctors now may as well just say, and quite honestly, “Yes, I’m using your injury/illness to make money.” Or, “Yes, I’m a drug dealer. Which one do you want already?” As with any clandestine business venture, and especially one wherein your customers need you to literally survive, it’s a seller’s market. “Don’t like the price? Screw you.” In that sense we’d come out of the experience feeling exactly the same but having had wasted far less time.

What say you, ATS? Are we headed for “barbershop-in-the-front, proctology-in-the-rear”?

edit on 10/9/13 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Makes sense to me, after all there will be money to be made in that area. Besides, just about everything else that's illegal to sell can be found on the black market - guns, drugs, entertainment... I believe many places (outside the US, though I wouldn't doubt that it's here too) already have black market medical procedures, like abortions.

Personally, I wouldn't want to see a black market doctor unless it's an emergency. Then again, I don't like going to doctors unless it's something I can't take care of myself anyway. Sounds like I better brush up on my first aid!

Just as a side note, I've heard jokes and urban legends of people having their organs stolen to be sold on the black market. Is any of that true? And if not, could it be true in the future?

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by NthOther

Actually that medical care, at least for the high $$$ items will be provided overseas. The pricing in South America is a heck of a lot cheaper than here in the USA. The liability insurance, cost of living and regulatory paperwork makes US medical care sky high.

One doctor in my local area is a lot cheaper (about 1/2 price) compared to anyone else because he does no medicare/medicaid or insurance patients and therefore cuts out the cost of all the paperwork. He doesn't even take checks. Cash only. That gives you the idea.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Not quite certain what I would do. It depends on how things are looking in a year. There are two dentists in my small town. One charges $358 for a simple exam and extraction. The other charges a total of $200 for the same, and he's reputed as being one of the best. Which one did I go to? Well, the cheaper one of course, and got the best care ever.

If there's a black market doctor, who's very skilled and noted as trustworthy, then I probably would not hesitate, given the situation.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Hey so just stumbled across this blog while doing a little research into the topic in this thread. Taking a shot in the dark here but would appreciate anyone who might be able to give me some more insight..

I'm a documentary photographer who is researching into black market healthcare in the US and am looking for people who have had any experience or knowledge of it in any way at all. Perhaps you are someone (or know someone) who has sought out and used under-the-counter healthcare. Perhaps you know of a practitioner that offers such services. Perhaps you are even such a practitioner yourself.

If you have any knowledge of the subject that you can share then I'd appreciate you getting in touch- either by pm or directly via email:

[email protected]

I have covered similarly sensitive topics in the past so if you're thinking about getting in touch but are unsure of how much of a secret I plan to keep any information you may have to exchange with me, then you might like to take a quick look at my most recent photo reportage in which 3 out of my 4 subjects remain anonymous.

www.lensculture.com...

Cheers!

Alex

top topics

join