It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is Water into the Depth of the Moon...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Our Moon is not so dry. Researchers have found traces of magmatic Water in Bullialdus Crater on the Moon. The results of a study published 25 August 2013 on the magazine Geoscience Natures, demonstrate 'the magmatic' water existence on the Moon. This is Water comes from the deep inside of our satellite. The study is lead using the data of the Moon Minerology Mapper (M3) of NASA. This could be a significant step for the next manned Lunar Base. And For some bizarre speculations...

Remote detection of Magmatic Water

Once considered dry compared with Earth, laboratory analyses of igneous components of lunar samples have suggested that the Moon’s interior is not entirely anhydrous1, 2. Water and hydroxyl have also been detected from orbit on the lunar surface, but these have been attributed to nonindigenous sources3, 4, 5, such as interactions with the solar wind. Magmatic lunar volatiles—evidence for water indigenous to the lunar interior—have not previously been detected remotely. Here we analyse spectroscopic data from the Moon Mineralogy Mapper (M3) and report that the central peak of Bullialdus Crater is significantly enhanced in hydroxyl relative to its surroundings. We suggest that the strong and localized hydroxyl absorption features are inconsistent with a surficial origin. Instead, they are consistent with hydroxyl bound to magmatic minerals that were excavated from depth by the impact that formed Bullialdus Crater. Furthermore, estimates of thorium concentration in the central peak using data from the Lunar Prospector orbiter indicate an enhancement in incompatible elements, in contrast to the compositions of water-bearing lunar samples2. We suggest that the hydroxyl-bearing material was excavated from a magmatic source that is distinct from that of samples analysed thus far.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

I honestly think there is more helium 3 than there is wawa....but given all bull,expectations are expunged.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I have never heard of Magmatic Water before, just searched it a bit.

Some very cool finds. This will help, I imagine, in figuring out more info on how the Moon was formed. We still really do not know how it was created but this may go about to help further that research.

Found an interesting science daily article about this thread topic:

"Now we need to look elsewhere on the Moon and try to test our findings about the relationship between the incompatible trace elements (e.g., thorium and uranium) and the hydroxyl signature," Klima said. "In some cases this will involve accounting for the surface water that is likely produced by interactions with the solar wind, so it will require integration of data from many orbital missions."
www.sciencedaily.com...

Looks like this will be, similar to everything else, a lengthy project. I look forward to seeing how this one unravels!

S&F Arken :thumbsup:

edit on 10/8/2013 by mcx1942 because: typo

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I have always thought that the theory- the moon was part of the earth made more sense than current theory that it formed independently. This fits better with the spinning always facing Earth. Other satellites have shown water on the moon,

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by templar knight

I have always thought that the theory- the moon was part of the earth made more sense than current theory that it formed independently.
You need to look into current theory a bit more carefully.

This fits better with the spinning always facing Earth.
It has nothing to do with how the Moon formed.

top topics

join