It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three Ways Obama Could Raise the Debt Ceiling On His Own ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Three Ways Obama Could Raise the Debt Ceiling On His Own ?

The author of this story is outlining 3 possibilities that could allow Obama to raise the debt ceiling without Congress doing it.

Inconsistencies in *relevant statutes* might allow an assumption that he is somehow *ordered* to raise the limit.

But that might question constitutionality, but perhaps he takes the “least unconstitutional” route ?
[ not sure what *relevant statutes* is ] Hmmm.

He could argue that he *must borrow* money under Section 4 of the 14th Amendment, that somehow provides that the validity of the public debt of the United States is authorized by law ?
[ tricky ]

He could declare an *emergency* and justify borrowing by citing reasons of state.
[ the most alarming and perhaps the *easy way* ] Hmmm.

Interesting possibilities.

Considering the obvious state of mind that exists in the Administration, the possibility exists that this may be the plan ?

What should the president do if Congress refuses to raise the debt limit? The question is like asking what the president should do if Congress orders him to drop a nuclear bomb on Manhattan. He should act in the public interest and accept the consequences. The legalistic argle-bargle necessary to take him from A to B is almost beside the point. But perhaps it is a worthwhile exercise to imagine what the law would say.

Imagine, then, that Congress does not raise the debt limit. Sometime later this month, it becomes impossible for the Treasury to pay all U.S. obligations—including interest on the national debt, payments to Social Security and Medicare recipients, and salaries and pensions to government employees such as soldiers and food inspectors. Tax and other revenues coming in will fall short of payments that must go out. If the president does not violate the debt limit and borrow more, he will have to choose among these obligations, paying some and defaulting on others.

Three Ways Obama Could Raise the Debt Ceiling On His Own

edit on Oct-06-2013 by xuenchen because:

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
He could try and I'd imagine the case would be fast-tracked to the Supreme Court for decision.

I don't really see them agreeing with the President if his argument is based on paying expenditures. That is the realm of Congress, the executive is only the enforcer of policy.

However, considering that justice Kennedy seems to have a man-crush on the prez, anything is possible.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I'm not sure how Obama could legally do this without forging Congress's name, quite literally in fact. They are the ones in statutory control.

What would happen is what has already happened. Everyone has seen the National Debt growing no larger for quite a bit now, right? We've also been seeing things close, stop operating or just "temporarily suspend operations". The first I saw was the USGS Heliplots here suddenly awhile back. By now it's REAL obvious by the shut down, but watch closely what is closing.

Non-Essential also translates into Discretionary. As in Discretionary Spending. If the debt ceiling doesn't rise ...and what is causing the debt spending doesn't change ....then it WILL still get it's money. It will literally just take up discretionary spending until mandatory spending is all that makes the Federal Budget pie ...all nicely at the current debt ceiling.

It's a suicide pact for P.R. points of saying the ceiling wasn't raised. The cause of the debt needs fixed ..because, this didn't stop the money monster from eating like the Cookie Monster devours cookies. It just went in a new direction. A discretionary direction.
edit on 6-10-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
I'm not sure how Obama could legally do this without forging Congress's name, quite literally in fact. They are the ones in statutory control.

If it served his purposes then no doubt he would do just that, legal or not. However he seemed to say before that he would not do this (sorry can't find the link.)

From his attitude it seems he is content to let the US go into sovereign default. In fact it might just be what his central banker buddies are planning on. I hope not.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   
As a non-American, I find it absurd that the President of the United States can launch military strikes on foreign sovereign nations without Congressional approval, but does need their approval to shake down the bank for some more pocket money.

Fix this system. Please.

Regards,
Rewey

top topics

join