It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have we crossed the point of a government too big to shutdown?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
If you look around you, just how many people are negatively affected by the government shutdown? Most of us know at least one person, but how many of us really know a lot of people affected by it? I mean, think about it... If you work at NASA, Lockheed Martin, Oakridge National Laboratory, and so forth... You either found yourself getting laid off or suspended until the shutdown is over.

But there's more than just jobs that are being affected, I mean think about it. Immigration is affected, so are public services, and people are being kicked off their own house because they live on federal land. How many resources do people rely on to survive or at least to be able to live life as normal as they can given their disability?

What would happen if Obamacare were instated and a government shutdown would take effect? Would the hospitals still be open or will they all close? Would only mandatory "in case of emergency" situations be treated or will no injuries be treated? Is Obamacare one of those things that will end up threatening citizens with ultimatums in the future? Already, Obama is practically stating that if Obamacare doesn't go through no Social Security for you. What happens if there's a gridlock in the future and instead of "no social security for you" it's "agree with us or the citizens will not receive healthcare"?

The problem with Obamacare is that it ties into every aspect of our lives, and it has come to a point that if it does get passed, who really knows what methods will be used to passed future laws, since Obamacare isn't strictly about socialized health coverage.

I'm certain there are many other reasons why the government is too big but my point in this thread is to give a harsh realization on the gravity of the situation. Some people simply don't like thinking ahead and not just ahead but ahead in three-dimensions. Unfortunately, now there's a lot of things that are happening, and could happen in a time when the government has shut down and that causes problems for Americans both inside the US and those outside (like needing help from an embassy).

However, on the other side of the spectrum, you have a lot of people unaffected by it and they live their lives as normal. Not a single difference in their lives have been made and they could care less if the government shuts down or not because they see no difference. That's a pretty good situation, but also raises the question on whether or not we need the government as big as it is and why should we even re-open state parks and the like when we could just enjoy them naturally without park rangers? Do we really need a lot of government programs? Can we just test the waters and keep the essential? Of course, re-open things like courts, patent offices, and immigration / embassies but those would technically be considered essential.

So what do you guys think? Do you think the government has become "too big to shutdown" or is it perfectly fine to shut it all down except the necessities?

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
this is what i think,

"whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government"......everyone should know what im saying and talking about..

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by BOPcaj

I completely agree. Who's ready for operation Iceland?

Fire your politicians.
Arrest corporate criminals.

It's our duty as American citizens.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by scolai

Just imagine - rounding up and shutting down the Cia, Fbi, the obama administration, Dhs, Tsa - and letting the state governors appoint a mix of people to look into all the crimes that have been committed -

And make sure everyday citizens get the entitlements that they so far have earned -

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Those in Power over the puppet Governments of the West also control the banking establishments, the Media, the major corporations, and the "supply" of EBT cards--and thereby the "will" of nearly 50% of the populace--and every other conceivable necessity of Power. Arresting them, or confiscating their property, or taking away their authority would take more effort, money, lives, brains, and will power than the rest of us could muster.

I wish it were not so.
edit on 10/06/2013 by Tusks because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Tusks

Declare all mortgage, credit card, and education loan debt null and void - don't collect any federal tax and don't pay any gov't representative their salary - for the next year.

Oh - I'm dreaming........

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Happy1

Dreaming of an invasion from China? I think they're the ones that loaned the US the money to give the American people half of an education. They wouldn't be too pleased if they didn't get their money back hahaha! That's really the biggest problem I think is how the US just asks other nations for more money and if it needs to, it'll print money because printing more money is a good idea according to the white house seer of money.

You can fight off the government one or two more times before nanotech becomes perfected enough to be used against civilians like a queen and ant system. Before religion worked just fine but people grew out of it, generally speaking. It's no longer the political power that it once was and the current thing is teaching kids in school that this is good and that is bad. We call that generation hipsters
It worked but not as well as maybe they had hoped, so we will see what comes next. It probably will have to wait a hundred or two hundred years from now for nanotech to be perfected or something else in the matter. I don't really care what it is, my point in this post is if there's corruption, they will find a way to abuse their power and get what they want.

Right now we're relatively safe but it just makes you wonder what will happen a few generations from now? Will citizens actually be able to defend themselves against anything? If citizens allowed the government to grow as big as it has with the hipster generation, there's no telling what will happen when they try again next time, and it certainly will happen. You can't prevent the government from turning corrupt, something will cause that chain reaction when someone is clever enough to get through that system whether it be war or something else.

So now I ask this question, just how important is a government body as we see it today? Will this type of government eventually be abolish in favor to prevent corruption or will we just allow our government to be the way it is or grow bigger?

top topics

join