It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATF misplaced 420 million cigarettes in stings and misused funds.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Well, it seems like the IRS and DoJ aren't the only ones who are inept, incompetent and a waste of taxpayer dollars, you can now add the ATF to the list (not that it wasn't on it before this).

I think it is time for a rational discussion about realistic plans to start dismantling and dissolving some of these three letter agencies, there are far too many at far too high a cost to the American taxpayer and what's worse is that in order to justify their existence they must continually do things like you will witness in this story.

Link to full article

WASHINGTON (AP) — Government agents acting without authorization conducted dozens of undercover investigations of illegal tobacco sales, misused some of $162 million in profits from the stings and lost track of at least 420 million cigarettes, the Justice Department's inspector general said Wednesday.

You don't say.........

The audit described widespread lack of ATF oversight and inadequate paperwork in the agency's "churning investigations," undercover operations that use proceeds from illicit cigarette sales to pay for the ATF's costs. The audit came as a new blow to a beleaguered agency still reeling from congressional inquiries into the ATF's flawed handling of the Operation Fast and Furious weapons tracking probes in Mexico.

Oh yeah, Fast and Furious, I remember that, doubt Holder does though, it was no big deal for him. Oh well, the giant boot that kicks us all in the teeth on a daily basis marches on. Read the full story HERE
edit on 25-9-2013 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Misplaced? That is laughable.

I think it is safe to say that most of those cigarettes were resold and a few people have some extra money for Christmas shopping.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jrod

I wouldn't doubt it one bit! You know what else is scary? If the ATF is running guns to Mexicans, thieving smokes just imagine what their doing with alcohol!! I also found this little snippet to be mildly entertaining from the article.

One of those sting operations did not have any approval, either from the ATF or the Justice Department. In that 2009 case, ATF officials allowed a tobacco distributor working as an ATF confidential informant to keep $4.9 million in profits from cigarette sales to criminal suspects.

edit on 25-9-2013 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Noth'n like Smok'n a Cuban cigar and sipping moonshine with an ar-15 slung over your shoulder eh !!

Sounds like the good life all over again !!

Almost ..... smells ...... like ..... victory !!

" Apocalypse Now Smell of Napalm "

edit on Sep-25-2013 by xuenchen because:

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

Whoops!
ATF 'Misplaced' 420 Million Cigarettes in Stings - A Little Comic Relief
edit on 25-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join