It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

iPhone, Xbox and other NSA tools

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I've just processed the news of the iPhone 5s with fingerprint scan.
What amazes me the most is how cheeky and bold they are trying to push these surveillance and storage techniques.
The same goes for Xbox were they've tried to plug the 24/7 internet connection, not to mention the mandatory camera which also was supposed to be 24/7 on. They cancelled it, but i think they really tried to look how far they could push these things, i dont think the iPhone sheeps reject the new features of the phone.
I have promised myself i will never buy any American phone, tablet or game computer, ever..
I wont accept these interfaces and backdoors or whatever they build for NSA, GCHQ and what not.
This is going way out of hand, and people just accept it, wanting to buy these ridiculous expensive phones!with 5 year old OS....later more

edit on 14-9-2013 by Foppezao because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Someone is going to have a nice database of fingerprints & photos to match thanks to the front camera.

I never heard of the Xbox Camera thing though, that is quite suspicious assuming it is/was true.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by hana1

The Xbox one is 100 euro more expensive than the PS4, this is because the Kinect camera is included, first they wanted to have the camera on at all times, with the once in 24hrs login.
I know people how put a post-it note on their camera of their computer, for some reason i understand them in that decision

The Xbox fanbase rejected these schemes, the fanbase of Apple is of another kind, Apple is not a brand, its a religion.
edit on 14-9-2013 by Foppezao because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
The fingerprint thing will be turned off on most phones id imagine. You go for a drink, go to phone a cab....it wont recognise your swollen fingerprint, its just a pointless piece of junk to make the apple fanboys feel like they are getting new tech...that has been around for years already...my laptop has fingerprint recognition ffs and thats 4 years old!!

NSA can spy on you in ways you cannot even imagine, so having an additional games console is going to make little difference if they want to track you.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
When it comes to the Apple fanbase I think the NSA summed it up pretty well when they called iPhone users zombies...lol
www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
For agencies like the NSA/GCHQ etc these sort of devices are nice but they're customer brought so can't be rolled out to everyone as what they want is total control of the flows of communication as easy as possible and since most people email/skype/farcebook/tw@tter etc and they have their claws into those methods at the central point so any encryption method is worthless when you can read it plain text at the receiving server instantly

With xbox-1 i think after watching hours of footage of fat naked Americans gaming while eating pizza and chugging down mountaindew they'll just turn off the screen and ask for the eye bleach and for the new Iphone fingerprint system we'll know if the spooks want it if everyone else suddenly turns out mobiles with it as well and it could make a great business for fake fingerprints..just imagine a fake rubber fingerprint so you unlock your phone using Elvis's fingerprint etc..it'd soon make the data collection pretty worthless

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
maybe what everybody needs to do is disconnect from your devices...you don't have to be in constant contact with people....use the off button, pull the battery, use a 40 buck go phone if you are so addicted to communicating with others...an exercise in self-control would be to leave your residence WITHOUT any phone for the whole day...try it, you might feel a new type of freedom, when you realize your world didn't end without it.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I was just discussing this the other day with friends of mine. Whenever there is a new technological advancement it seems people are to quick to claim "the government will use this to track you" or whatever. Speaking as a gamer, and a computer scientist I can tell you right now that the kinect camera wasn't required to be "on 24/7" -- it was supposed to be a crucial part of all video games -- using your body as a controller and interacting with the virtual world in a whole new way. However, people got paranoid and microsoft scrapped the idea -- a shame really.
Also, the online 24/7 feature would have been convenient for updating titles, downloading apps, or streaming data. However, again, people assumed the worse and that idea is scrapped as well.
They might as well not even launch the XBOX ONE - it's just an xbox 360 with blu-ray now. . .

~Sovereign
edit on 14-9-2013 by SovereignEve because: Correction

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SovereignEve

So true about people being wary of new technology. Reminds me of a story my grandmother told me about when televisions became mainstream some people believed they could be spied on through the television screen.

Obviously the technology discussed in this thread actually has the potential for spying/collecting data on it's users. I guess in the end it's up to the user to determine whether the good things that come from these things is worth the risk that "bad" things may or may not accompany the good.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

you don't think that paranoia is justified? have you been living under a rock?

i disagree with your entire post, namely that microsoft scrapped some innovative new feature because of public backlash. that didn't happen.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
If you think the Android or Windows smartphones are any less compromised, there's a bridge in Brooklyn you may want to check into buying.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
It's creepy for sure.It's why I got rid of my facebook and my iphone and got a cheap track phone without internet.

I told my husband that under no ciscumstances will an xbox ever make it's way into my house he agrees. No more playstations when they start inserting the same crap either.

You know I have a roku and I wonder does that use voice recognition? Does anyone know? Because we have discussed things to get at the store, razors, milk etc.... and three times total we have received either coupons for EXACTLY what it was we wanted to buy or free items like razors in the mail. Freaky......i'm about ready to run it over with my car. If it's not that than I don't have a clue what it is. One time coincidence I can see, two times makes me question and three times or more makes it obivous we are being tracked, but how?
edit on 14-9-2013 by brandiwine14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

It is always nice to see at least a few people do not buy the paranoid fantasies that are being spewed all over the place these days.

There are cameras in my phone, my laptop, my tablet, my kids toys, etc. That is just in my house. They are on traffic lights, in many major stores, schools, hospitals, banks and even floating in space. Yet somehow the line needs to be drawn at an interactive camera designed for use with a gaming console?

What is wrong with you people?
If you are really that concerned about the NSA watching your every move then what are you even doing on the Internet?
If you really believe that everything you say or do is so damned important that the government can find nothing better to do then monitor you constantly then why haven't you just moved out into the wilderness and cut yourself off from all technology all together?

I for one will be happily buying an Xbox One, and if the NSA wants to watch me then more power to them. I rather wish they would give me a heads up during their viewing periods so i can give them a real show.

Oh, and PS4 has it's own camera unit as well it simply isn't included with the purchase of the console.

edit on 14-9-2013 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by brandiwine14

imo, there is absolutely some 'listening' being done by my more recent phones. i have had similar experiences to yours, where, i'll be having a conversation with a friend in a secluded area outside about some product or service, only to see banner ads on my computer for the exact same product shortly after. now, i understand that adsense and other companies take the user's google searches into consideration when tailoring user-targeted banner ads, but these were insanely specific products that i had done no previous research on. the only explanation that i was able to conjure, besides unsatisfying (and imo, improbable) coincidence, was that my phone was 'listening' to conversations i was having with friends, outdoors, in the woods. lol.

now, i really don't give a rat's a$$ that they're trying to sell me things based on what it appears i'm interested in, because the implications of all this, if phones and other devices really do digitally eavesdrop for the nsa, are far more dangerous than sating my consumerism. it essentially makes technology useless in the event of a revolution or rebellion for anyone except those with the backdoor key. and that is disheartening.

just an extra thought: wasn't there something in the dark knight movies (didn't really see them) about batman using every cell phone in gotham to locate whoever or whatever he was chasing? it just occurred to me that if mass shootings, like the one that happened at a dark knight premier, do actually carry some occultish illuminati (or mysterious group of your choice) symbols or secret messages, could it be that they were waving it in our faces? that they can and do listen in on everything. this is far-fetched, but could lanza have actually been an mk ultra victim/agent used to bring attention to a fictional trilogy's dytopia that is starting to more closely resemble our own?

if batman needs to know everything i do to stop the joker, well by golly, tap right in! gotham! gotham! gotham!

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Those paranoid fantasies are facts.

It's a shame that so many people like being coddled by the government because they "feel so much safer". Most of us could care less about the cameras on the stop light, or the cameras in the stores, but we care about our privacy in our homes.

With the technology that they are using they can not only see and hear you and your wife in your most intimate times but with your kids phones/laptops they can see them at their most intimate times as well. Great job for pedophiles to be on the other side of.....huh?

We deserve our private homes to be just that.......private. But I agree with you on your point that too many people complain about their privacies all the while playing on facebook with their new iphones that track their movements everywhere they go. That's why in my home we got rid of most everything but our twenty year old computer that has no camera.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by brandiwine14

Except even a twenty year old computer can be hacked by the NSA and monitored. Even a twenty year old computer accesses the same internet and uses the same email functions. I can google your username and be directed to this site, and with another click see everything you have ever posted on this website.

Your home phone line can be tapped and monitored. Your records can be pulled from any number of sources.

If you really wanna be that paranoid about it then you should see that you have no privacy even in your own home regardless of what tech is in your house.

If they want to watch you, they will simply watch you and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it.

You are all assuming that the NSA is monitoring your every move, but until you can thrown down a solid piece of evidence that you personally are being watched through cameras in your home/devices or are being listened to through taps on your phone/emails/skype then they are NOT facts. They are paranoid fantasies that make you feel more important.

Simple bing search of Brandiwine14.

Supermoon pictures, page 1 - Above Top Secret
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread955080/pg1
Originally posted by brandiwine14 reply to post by j.r.c.b. Go to tools, then ATS uploads then follow directions from there.
Baby Snatched Out Of Mother's Arms After Parents Seeked …
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread945600/pg1
Originally posted by brandiwine14 What the hell is happening After you get past all the sensationalism, the answer is given in the article, right at the end.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Thorneblood

ahh, i see now, i am only worried about nsa snooping because i'm insecure and don't feel important enough. thank you thorneblood! you have shown me the error of my ways!

this is almost as stupid as the, "if you don't have anything to hide, don't worry about it" argument.

there is a great culling coming, and we need it more than ever. we're scattered in an infinite ocean of stupid, complacent, patriotic/religious dimwits, that make it near impossible for the rest of us to evolve. dead weight.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by anon29

LMFAO you are welcome. Glad i could be of help.

Are you saying that you want massive genocide to take place because it fits with your own personal philosophy?

You justify a culling of humanity, and i am assuming, you don't count yourself among those who you think should be killed for not agreeing with you? Because they are not as intelligent as you are?

You want the death of billions to make yourself feel better?

Thank you for proving my point so quickly. The NSA should be watching you, hell the NSA should be watching anyone who advocates the death of countless people to make their own ideals of a better world come to fruition.

cull [ kul ]
remove somebody or something as worthless: to remove an inferior person or thing from a group
select somebody or something: to select or gather people or things, especially those that are good examples of their kind
remove animal from herd: to remove an animal, especially a sick or weak one, from a herd or flock

It is the sort of thing Hitler wanted to do as well, does that comparison bother you?
It should.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Snooping or not, the xbox one will still work just fine with a piece of duct tape over the camera lens and if you disconnect it's internet access when you're not using it.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   

SeeEm
Snooping or not, the xbox one will still work just fine with a piece of duct tape over the camera lens and if you disconnect it's internet access when you're not using it.

That duct tape also going to work on the voice command portion of the Kinect???

top topics

<<   2 >>

join