It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet ISON, a FAQ for the Perplexed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Just as with Elenin, people are literally tripping over themselves with all sorts of agitations, questions, conspiracy theories, etc. about the comet ISON.

Will it hit the Earth? Will its encounter with Mars and the Sun alter its orbit? What if it breaks up? What are the objects or UFOs following it?

I'd like to share this excellent blog by an amateur astronomer Ian Musgrave, who adresses many of those questions and concerns:
astroblogger.blogspot.com.au...

Comet C/2012 S1 ISON has come out from behind the sun, and around the world amateur and professional telescopes alike are focusing on it, trying to follow the evolution of this visitor from the frigid depths of space. But faster than the information comes from these scopes comes misinformation, misunderstanding and outright hoaxes.

For many of us this is Deja Vu. Virtually everything that is being said about ISON was said about comet C/2010 X1 Elenin.

But it is worth dispelling some of the misapprehension about ISON so people can enjoy the spectacle of the comet without fear.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 05:57 AM
link   

.youtube.com/watch?v=8mzO-204reM
reply to post by wildespace

lol

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by SarnholeOntarable

Did you mean to share this video?

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   
This should be a stunning and absolutely spectacular show that our kids carry as memories for life. It would be a shame to see them fear it by some hoaxing and silly superstition. Perhaps some rock or snowball from deep space is what punches our ticket someday....but this won't be the day and this isn't the one.

Indeed... This is one to enjoy for the sight it'll be to all in the Northern Hemisphere.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   

SarnholeOntarable

.youtube.com/watch?v=8mzO-204reM

lol

That guy's voice is a comedy in itself.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

wrabbit2000
This should be a stunning and absolutely spectacular show that our kids carry as memories for life. It would be a shame to see them fear it by some hoaxing and silly superstition. Perhaps some rock or snowball from deep space is what punches our ticket someday....but this won't be the day and this isn't the one.

Indeed... This is one to enjoy for the sight it'll be to all in the Northern Hemisphere.

You should say it "could" be a stunning and absolutely spectacular show.

There is no guarantee that Comet C/2012 S2 ISON will be an extremely bright comet at all. There are some revised observations that appears to show a dimmer comet than expected, and some astronomers are saying that "ISON" may actually end up being be quite dim.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Pics or ISON didn't happen.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   
I think Hale-Bopp was probably the only spectacular comet of our lifetimes if anyone remembers that one. It hung in the sky bright most of the spring/summer of '97.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by soulpowertothendegree

Hey,thanks...I find it very interesting

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

You should say it "could" be a stunning and absolutely spectacular show.

There is no guarantee that Comet C/2012 S2 ISON will be an extremely bright comet at all. There are some revised observations that appears to show a dimmer comet than expected, and some astronomers are saying that "ISON" may actually end up being be quite dim.

Okay... lol.... based on initial reports and preliminary expectations for predictions of luminescence, it should be impressive. Indeed, the disclaimer is always important to note that absolutely anything can happen to change any prediction relating to ..well, pretty much anything in space. After all, Elenin, 'the planet killer' to some folks? Just kinda got zapped by the sun like a big snowball. So who knows .....but reports seem to indicate and have projected quite a show.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I loved the visual in your link. Soccer ball, pea, and grain of rice. Put pea by back door (earth); walk 10 paces out and put the soccer ball down (sun ); take 4 paces to the right of the soccer ball and put down the grain of rice (comet). That's how far it is from us. One of my college professors did these visuals all the time. It really puts things into perspective. Never believed in Elein or Planet X stuff either. Hope to see this one.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 01:32 AM
link   
There's a good lowdown about ISON at EarthSky: earthsky.org... including latest images, month-by-month viewing guide, and other information.

Source: www.astronomie.be...

I really hope it will be a naked-eye comet, at least.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   

ItCameFromOuterSpace
I think Hale-Bopp was probably the only spectacular comet of our lifetimes if anyone remembers that one. It hung in the sky bright most of the spring/summer of '97.

Yes! I remember Hale-bopp .. I was 12! I remember my parents taking me and my brothers out to a place with no light polution. I have vivid images in my head of seeing Bopp and how it looked like it was just stuck in the sky I hope ISON will be the same

new topics

top topics

join