It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

deadly brain-eating amoeba has been found in the water supply of a Louisiana parish

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Hello

This is a little scary, a deadly brain-eating amoeba has been found in the water supply of a Louisiana parish..

Last month a 12 year old Mississippi died from contracting amoebic meningoencephalitis, after playing on a homemade water slide while visiting St. Bernard Parish..

They tested the water supply because it's chlorine levels were low and chlorine is what kills the amoeba.

They say they have been flushing the water lines with chlorine since last week and will do it until chlorine levels are right

Wow it says the water is safe to drink but don't get it in your nose because that's the route the amoeba takes..

What about taking a shower?

I don't think I would take any chances at all with that water..

www.cnn.com...

Tests of a Louisiana parish's water supply confirmed the presence of a rare amoeba blamed for last month's death of a 12-year-old boy.

edit on 13-9-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   
how it feels if my brain encroached slowly..huueekk...

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 01:54 AM
link   
That brain eating amoeba has been circulating here in my next of the woods for years now. Although they usually catch it around here from sleeping with your first cousin or sister.

Really on a serious note scary stuff. I live in the South and always think about it at least once every time I swim in a lake.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Really is a shocking news for everyone, today onwards I am going to take boil my water twice in day.

__________________________________________________________________________________
edit on 15/10/13 by JAK because: Please see Terms And Conditions Of Use 15e.) Recruitment/Solicitation.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Was just about to do a thread and this and the ole search function led me here. This is disturbing on a few levels. Louisiana climate is so conducive to life because of the abundant heat and water. I grew up down there and never thought about the muddy waters we swam in. Not any more...

The water is safe to drink, state officials said, although they cautioned against getting water in the nose.

Guess our digestive system takes care of it passing through our stomach?

Officials said less than 1% of patients survive the deadly brain infection caused by this amoeba. But an experimental drug from the CDC has shown promise in fighting it.

Yikes!

Here are some tips from the CDC to help lower the risk of infection:
• Avoid swimming in fresh water when the water temperature is high and the water level is low.
• Hold your nose shut or use nose clips while swimming.
• Avoid stirring up the sediment while wading in shallow, warm freshwater areas.
• If you are irrigating, flushing or rinsing your sinuses (for example, by using a neti pot), use water that has been distilled or sterilized.

Geez, the state should pass out free nose plugs eh? High temps and low water occur regularly there. I just wonder if this amoeba will flourish and become wide spread?

new topics

top topics

join