It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just out of curiosity...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Schmidt1989

I could quite probably be more of a hippie than you. At least more of a pragmatic hippie anyways. I've lived many lifestyles, with the exception of the Gay choice. But I mean them no harm either. I’ve been through it all since the ‘60’s.

I just happen to see problems as being problems to be addressed, not ignored.

Have you ever seen the movie “Idiocracy”? I see that movie becoming more and more a reality. That scares me. Some may see it as a comedy, but I see it as a horror film. We are headed that route.

I don’t care if evolution, intelligent design or creationism is taught in schools. That is up to the parents of the children. Not my business.

And your generation has plenty of racists as well, right along with those who feel guilty for something they didn’t do. I see a human race, but will admit that there are sections of towns I will not go at night. It’s not a racist view, but rather I don’t want to be a victim of racism.

I’m sure like you; we just want to enjoy life. Nothing wrong with that at all. But to me, to ignore a problem that you (or I) have identified is just out and out wrong. And you must admit, you have identified plenty of problems in your view. Are you going to wait them out, or do something about them?

I ask you to stop looking at the worlds problems from a individual standpoint and try to see them from other viewpoints as well. It’s never easy, nor does it solidify your own views, but it does help to provide understanding.

I’m starting to find this conversation enjoyable.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

I could quite probably be more of a hippie than you. At least more of a pragmatic hippie anyways. I've lived many lifestyles, with the exception of the Gay choice. But I mean them no harm either. I’ve been through it all since the ‘60’s.

I just happen to see problems as being problems to be addressed, not ignored.

Have you ever seen the movie “Idiocracy”? I see that movie becoming more and more a reality. That scares me. Some may see it as a comedy, but I see it as a horror film. We are headed that route.

I don’t care if evolution, intelligent design or creationism is taught in schools. That is up to the parents of the children. Not my business.

And your generation has plenty of racists as well, right along with those who feel guilty for something they didn’t do. I see a human race, but will admit that there are sections of towns I will not go at night. It’s not a racist view, but rather I don’t want to be a victim of racism.

I’m sure like you; we just want to enjoy life. Nothing wrong with that at all. But to me, to ignore a problem that you (or I) have identified is just out and out wrong. And you must admit, you have identified plenty of problems in your view. Are you going to wait them out, or do something about them?

I ask you to stop looking at the worlds problems from a individual standpoint and try to see them from other viewpoints as well. It’s never easy, nor does it solidify your own views, but it does help to provide understanding.

I’m starting to find this conversation enjoyable.

I have not seen idiocracy, I only watch nature and wildlife documentaries online, but I've read the synopsis (honestly I never watched any tv except for Home Improvement and Roseanne at my friend's house in the 90s). I dont see it happening. I see the next generation rebounding and making up for the losses of their predecessors. Relevance debatable, but teen pregnancies are the lowest since 1991. I think thats a point of light in how today's teenagers are acting compared to the all the generations of teens from 1991-now.

I have identified several problems. My biggest passion in life is animals. We destroy their habitat and they don't have a voice against it. We breed and kill dogs for fun. Being from rural pennsylvania, I fully support population control hunting, but it's really only an issue since the advent of the car and highway.

To solve every issue I've identified is actually impossible. No single person, nor group, can stop an uncontacted tribe in Brazil or New Guinea from being contacted in some way shape or form. They've probably already seen planes and ships and wondered what they were, and thus have an idea that there is an outside world.

To clean up the great pacific garbage patch would be fantastic. I'd love to see it happen in my lifetime. How do I do my part? I buy what I need and recycle what I can. I dont eat nor buy package/processed foods, and thus limit my personal trash disposal the best I can.

I have $43 in my bank account. After my pay check, VA benefits, and reserve pay come in, and rent and bills are paid, I will still probably have roughly $43 in my account. I need to work, and I still volunteer at several animal shelters in my area (PAWS, PUPS, and Creature Program). If I had tons of money, and weren't in school trying hard to get good grades, studying for officer test, and spending time in the research lab, and applying to grad schools, I would be volunteering all of my time. That's not just a statement, I take treating animals well highly.

My degree is in anthropology. I have spent the past 4 years looking at world issues from cultural standpoints instead of my own. And to be honest, it's the people who don't get on the news who this stuff affects the most. Syrians, Egyptians and North Koreans have it bad. But the Khoisan have it bad and don't realize it.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   

I hear you. The problem is that are too many problems. How do we prioritize them? Which ones do we solve first?

As a budding anthropologist, you should have a grasp of history. Do you not see history repeating itself? Time and time again.

My old Ops Sergeant was an anthropologist and quite the nuisance at times. She operated in a military environment according to her feelings, rather than rationally. It often didn’t work out. But that's a different story.

As a old dinosaur NCO, I took my job seriously to coach, mentor and train (teach) my Soldiers. I always tried to do so honestly, though it pissed a lot of them off.

I have my ideas on how to clean up the great pacific garbage patch, but it would be quite expensive. I think that it could be turned into an energy resource temporarily. Or maybe building materials.

But back on topic, you must care about everything within this world. You can’t pick and choose. The key is to work out what you can do with all the choices.

That’s a tough row to hoe.

I wish you luck in your career and if you need any advice, feel free to give a holler. You may not like it, but I'll give it nonetheless.

BTW, the charities I support are Puppies behind Bars and the GuideDog Foundation for the Blind. What can I say, I like Dawgs. They're the best people.
edit on 8-9-2013 by TDawgRex because: I'm a dawg, I don't have opposable thumbs.

<< 1   >>

join