It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First close up pictures of the T-50 (PAK-FA)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Senduko

The US is the only country in the world with a fifth generation fighter operational, and is currently in the design phase for sixth generation aircraft.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
What about that leaked footage of that chinese fighter.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
What about that leaked footage of that chinese fighter.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Senduko

The T-50, and both Chinese stealth fighters are early in testing. The T-50 flew last year for the first time, and the first Chinese aircraft flew two years ago or so. They are nowhere near operational and won't be for several years.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
It wouldn't surprise me if for a duration the Marines have more 5th generation aircraft operational than the rest of the world combined.
edit on 5/9/13 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

That front flap appears to me at least to be a type of air brake for slowing after landing. Not sure but looks right.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by abe froman

Looking at the attitude of the jet exhaust tip, I would say this aircraft does have thrust vectoring.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by snyperdan

It's apparently a controllable LEX, not a speedbrake.

As for the engine exhaust, yes it does have thrust vectoring. It uses a 3D thrust vectoring, as opposed to 2D on the F-22.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

The skin looks very unstealthy. Not much different from earlier models. No coating, gaps, studs??

It doesn't look like it would be any stealthier than an F-15 SE!
edit on 7-9-2013 by nwtrucker because: spelling error

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

Beautiful bird..The Russians do have a knack of designing some pretty good looking aeroplanes, I'll say that for them

But man oh man their helicopters could stop a clock, from ugly. What is the aviation technical term for ugly?

Hormone Bravo:
Ka-25 Hormone B

edit on 7-9-2013 by TheEthicalSkeptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
The T-50 looks like quite a long thin sleek jet. These are the best pics I've seen so far. The canards look like they have a strange configuration not seen before. As one poster has pointed out the jet doesn't seem to have a stealth coating and has quite a few edges that could reflect radar. Looks like a high altitude super-cruiser.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by nwtrucker
reply to post by Zaphod58

The skin looks very unstealthy. Not much different from earlier models. No coating, gaps, studs??

It doesn't look like it would be any stealthier than an F-15 SE!
edit on 7-9-2013 by nwtrucker because: spelling error

It's a prototype. A flight demonstrator. It's not a production aircraft. You'll see coatings and more aligned edges in production models, I'm sure. Not that one can really eyeball such things, but it looks "stealthier" than than the "Stealth" Eagle to me.

Look at all the gaps and "straight lines" on the X-35 prototype.
upload.wikimedia.org...

www.superrune.com...

LRIP F-35
images.dailytech.com...

They're going to test the flight envelope. They aren't worried about RAM, gaps or exposed rivets at this point.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
OK. Makes sense.

I guess we'll see. I wouldn't be surprised if what we see is what we get, though.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   
It raised a few comments from me:

I am no aerodynamicist (or dictionary) but at low speed could those leading edges provide lift, perhaps enough lift to be carrier based?

Is that ball and fairing on the cockpit a flir like off EFA?

Is that a metal strip down the center of the main canopy?

Is it a glass cockpit like F35 or still using valve technology like the rest of the Russian airforce.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by IamSirDrinksalot
but at low speed could those leading edges provide lift

Yes, they're basically like the slats on the leading edge of a wing, just that they're not on the leading edge of the wing itself.

perhaps enough lift to be carrier based?

Theoretically. The landing gear is robust enough for it to operate off the carrier, but it's unknown how the tailhook is stressed, and whether it would allow for STOBAR operations.

Is that ball and fairing on the cockpit a flir like off EFA?

It's (for now) most likely the Su-35 IRST sensor. It should change to a more faceted, stealthy design in production aircraft.

Is that a metal strip down the center of the main canopy?

Yes. It looks like they may have done the Plexiglas in two pieces and joined them at that bar. It looks like it may be specific to this aircraft, along with some of the other things you see, such as pitot tubes, etc.

Is it a glass cockpit like F35 or still using valve technology like the rest of the Russian airforce.

The Su-35 started using the MFDs and glass cockpit displays. The T-50 doesn't appear to be as advanced as the F-22/F-35 as far as displays, and functionality, but it's a big improvement over previous Russian aircraft.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by nwtrucker

As Del said, this particular aircraft was to prove the aerodynamics. A lot of the things you see here will change. The pitot tubes will change to more flush openings, the IRST sensor will change to a more stealthy sensor, etc.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join