It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major Fireball Event, Upgraded: 08/29/2013 SE USA Cleveland, TN meteorites maybe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Did anyone see it? Sonic booms heard?

NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office has upgraded its estimates of a major fireball that exploded over the southeastern USA on August 28th. Lead researcher Bill Cooke says " the fireball reached a peak magnitude of -13, brighter than a Full Moon, and cast shadows on the ground. This indicates that the meteoroid had a mass of over 50 kg (110 lbs) and was about 40 cm (16 inches) in diameter. It hit the top of Earth's atmosphere traveling 23.7 km/s (53,000 mph)."

video

"As far as I know, this is the brightest event our network has observed in 5 years of operation," he continues. "There are reports of sonic booms reaching the ground, and data from 4 doppler radars indicate that some meteorites may have fallen along the fireball's ground track." (Note: The city in the ground track map is Cleveland, Tennessee, not Cleveland, Ohio.)

Have not found any news reports or any other information, just video on Space weather.com and video listing with Gannet papers.

map

Who wants some fast cash? Get out there and find them...
edit on 30-8-2013 by donlashway because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/30/2013 by semperfortis because: corrected all caps

edit on 30-8-2013 by donlashway because: fix map link

edit on 30-8-2013 by donlashway because: fix video link

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Your link is broken, i fixed it.

Ground Track

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Most of the fireballs that I have ever witnessed were not of a constant brightness like the one in the video. They got brighter gradually, almost flashed, then dimmed out.

That seems like something else.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

Thanks was fixing and maybe someone else was editing at the same time, fix all caps?

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by donlashway

That is a Moderator edit

You can not post in all caps on ATS

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

It was a real event. It was pieces of a comet that we enter the debris field of every five years or so.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Thank you always have problems posting one way or the other.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Thanks OP, I hadn't heard any on this my fiancee live just down the road from the track on the ga side. Im in Colorado now but when I get back we are going to fire up the metal detector. She knows a lot of folks in the area so we shouldn't have any problems with trespassing. Shot another 12 miles to the east and the track would of ended in her front yard.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by hillbilly4rent

Could you ask your wife if she heard anything about this?
I didn't find any other links to it.
Thanks.

top topics

join