It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Restaurant investigating diners' claim they were kicked out over race

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   

A restaurant accused of evicting a group of black diners after a white customer allegedly complained she felt "threatened" by them is investigating the incident, vowing to take "proper measures" if it's found that discrimination took place.

Mike Brown, a 34-year-old music publisher and youth pastor, says he and a group of 25 family members and friends waited two hours for a table at the Wild Wing Café in North Charleston, S.C. When they asked about available seating in an empty area, Brown says a manager at the popular chain told him that wouldn't be possible, as another customer had requested Brown's party sit elsewhere because she felt “threatened."

Interesting.... I've never felt threatened by a large group of people in a restaurant....

ahhh.... here it is...

Brown later learned that the customer, a younger white woman, had had a brief run-in with a member of his party earlier in the restaurant’s lobby, where she stepped on a woman's foot from Brown's group. According to Brown, the women exchanged words, and the customer who ultimately complained to the manager cursed at the woman in Brown's party. Brown's group was then asked to leave when one member began to use a smartphone to record their conversation with the manager over the seating issue.

Source

You know who I blame? The restaurant. IMO, they should have served the large group of people.
They should have pulled the "complaining" lady aside and explained that they're serving them and maybe offered to seat her in a different location away from the group.

I wonder is the management / staff at the restaurant really racist and this was an opportunity for them to "flex" ?

I also wonder how long before the "usual suspects" are on TV / Radio demanding "justice"...

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

I wonder is the management / staff at the restaurant really racist and this was an opportunity for them to "flex" ?

I hate to say it, but the whole "pulling the phone out" thing kind of leads me to think there may be some instigating doing on. That and how the article is totally swayed to the one side. Usually it's the opposite of what an article like this is, when they are failing to account for both sides.

In any case, the restaurant would have been best off seating the two as far apart as possible. But if the large group was disruptive before they came in, and while they sat down, they may have felt kicking them out would save them from having to comp the entirety of the restaurant when the rest complained about the noise.

If I had a group of 25 making the meal miserable for the rest of the restaurant, as soon as complaints came in I'd be comping people and doing discounts hoping to get their business back in the future, it only takes one bad experience, that being said, the same thing goes for the party, so unless you are there and see exactly what happened, it's hard to make a judgement. If the party was being extremely disruptive however, the chain may not want them back ever either, whether or not they will publicly admit it.

I hate to do this, and I do mean to emphasize I am not trying to race bait here, but I'm linking a racist video, from youtube, (found here), now, ignore the title of the video. Let's just call it, "People acting noisy, ignorant and disruptive at a restaurant."

If that's the case, I wouldn't want them in mine, whether they were black, green, orange, or blue.
edit on 28-8-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Im glad you went first...again I kind of sympathize with the restaurant. I have been a server on many occasion and when you see a group of black people come in the whole restaurant kind of sighs. From what I and I repeat...I have witnessed is that for the majority of the time a group/party over 4 people is almost too much to handle. They are loud, messy, whiny, demanding, take way too long to eat..take up too many spaces in one servers area and are REALLY bad tippers. Once they get going or have a few drinks in them no one else in the restaurant can have a decent conversation or enjoy their meals because of the unnecessary disruptions and yelling going on. It's like they are trying to see which one of them can talk/laugh the loudest... Luckily in Illinois we take 20% for tip on check...no questions ask..that makes it a little easier to swallow. I'm not racist..and several very close friends that are black..I am just saying what I have seen while being a server..and believe me I'm not the only one..

Restaurants are one thing but movie theaters...ask anyone about movie theaters...they know...it's bad...

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
"...No Au Jus, No Peas!....No Au Jus, No Peas!..."

2nd verse, same as the 1st

new topics

top topics

join