It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: American Dean Sadek Taken Hostage in Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Dean Sadek, a native of Charlotte, NC, was shown on Al Jazeera TV today in a video proclaiming him a hostage. The 1920 Revolution Brigade included a statement with the video claiming responsibility for the kidnapping. The tape did not contain any audio of Mr. Sadek but the accompanying statement quoted him has saying that "all businesses should stop cooperating with U.S. authorities." Mr. Sadek is an American contractor of Lebanese descent who recently moved to Iraq.

www.charlotte.com
The kidnapping was claimed in the name of the 1920 Revolution Brigade, a known insurgent group, the television station said. The name refers to the uprising against the British after World War I.

It was unclear when Sadek or where was kidnapped. Last week, the Interior Ministry said a Lebanese-American was seized by armed men from his home in the city's Mansour district but gave the name as Radim Sadeq.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Local Charlotte news sources have confirmed via family members that the man is in fact Dean Sadek. It is not clear if the hostage-takers made any demands or threats.

Dozens have been kidnapped in the war-torn nation since the war began. In a now all-to-familiar and tragic display, many of those captured have been beheaded on tape with the video broadcast on both Arabic TV and the internet.

Mr. Sadek's family is hopeful that he will be released or rescued, but odds truly seem against this. Considering the ongoing battle in Fallujah and the seeming trend of executing captives rather than releasing them, the prospect of Mr. Sadek's survival may indeed be dim.

[edit on 11-11-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I remember a time when you said the "defining image" of the misdirected "war on terror" in Iraq was the questionable tape of the beheading of Nicholas Berg.

I wonder if you have progressed your own views on that any.

new topics

join