It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Search Engine Advice Request

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
By all means fellow ATS Members, Please Enlighten Me regarding "Search Engines".

For some intuitive reasons, I feel that Google is infected and filthy.

To be honest, I never liked their name to begin with, as it always reminded me of

some strange brand of peanut butter. Yet, their general quality of service is exceptional.

I did a quick search of the top "Search Engines", here is the link:

www.ebizmba.com...

I do not know the folks who rated this list as such, and in fact, I do not know any of you either.
However, I recognize your general mindset and respect your opinions.

Therefore, I would really appreciate your advice here.

Furthermore, I am considering a New Email Address, with a Secure Service Provider.

It would be great if ATS had their own secure Email System. I do not know why they do not.
I would gladly pay an annual fee for the general peace of mind knowing that there are still
some institutions that not only believe in, but respect the right to privacy, not only in ones
Home, but in their personal communications as well.
Maybe the Messaging system here is considered sufficient?

Seeking a healthy level of sanity and common decency, Thank You in Advance.

edit on 25-8-2013 by Wildmanimal because: typo

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
One of the best and most private search engines is Ixquick. You can read about their privacy policy and how they don't record any user data here.

Furthermore, they have a sister site called Startpage which is the safest way to get Google search results.

You can also read here about how they protect your privacy from government spying.

As far as secure email is concerned, they are starting up a service called Startmail which is supposed to be the most secure email service.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I personally like StartPage (www.startpage.com...) and IXQuick.com (www.ixquick.cwww.ixquick.comom). They are more concise than google and both state that they leave little or no footprint. So far, nothing has followed me home while using those two, which is more than I can say for google.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Great minds think alike...

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildmanimal

I use DuckDuckGo (duckduckgo.com...) for anonymous searching (donttrack.us...) Funny name but I like it. There is another similar non-tracking search engine I used in the past but I can't remember the name.

At least they *say* it's anonymous searching. So far I haven't seen anything to dispute that.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Haven't used or don't use anymore the search engines listed on your page link. Not sure any of those engines can be trusted in light of the NSA debacle.

I use the following for search Start Page as it strips all IP info and keeps no logs. They also have a proxy function on most links they bring up on a search.

For email Hushmail seems OK but doesn't have email encryption.
edit on 24-8-2013 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
as others have mentioned startpage is about the best.

for email there is www.hushmail.com...
also you can make any imap/pop3/smtp email secure if all email recipients and senders have email certificates
certificates are free these days comodo

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Ah, startpage. That's the one I used to use. Couldn't think of the name.

Been using duckduckgo for many months now. I need to try startpage again and compare the two.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

I use Ixquick, it pulls from google but leave no identifying information and it is based in Holland. My only complaint is I have to be very specific in what I want to search and seem to be getting better at it. I am not so techy anymore.

Oh, it does not keep your info and if you close with a page up when you reopen after a time it is gone so best to bookmark.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildmanimal

Thank you all !!!
You folks are not only in agreement, but helpful as well.
Walk in Beauty.

I thank you kindly, Wildmanimal

By The Way, You People Kick Ass!

Rock n Roll and thanks again.
edit on 25-8-2013 by Wildmanimal because: truth

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by liveandlearn
I use Ixquick, it pulls from google

Actually, Ixquick is their own private search engine. Their sister site Startpage is the one the pulls Google results, as I pointed out earlier.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Just though I would throw this out here, may help someone sometime.
If avoiding google search engine, do not use google chrome browser.
Also google can track you via analytics or adsense and almost every site uses at least one of them.
It isn't that easy anymore to retain privacy on the web.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by kaleshwarchand777

Thanks for that. Star to you.

new topics

top topics

join