It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Moon... What are your thoughts?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Whilst surfing this morning looking for the story of the kilt wearing gents from a certain Scots regiment (so they say)... who lifted up their kilts to scare away the oncoming attackers (Kyber pass?), i came across this interesting tit bit :

Some sources have cited mooning—baring one’s butt at another as an insult—as a phenomenon stretching all the way back to the Romans, but the gesture as we know it today seems to have started in the Middle Ages. Wikipedia claims that the first known instance of mooning was recorded by the famous Roman-Jewish historian Josephus in the 1st century A.D. According to Josephus’ account in The Wars of the Jews, a Roman soldier bared his rear to an audience of Jews celebrating Passover, and thereby incited a furious riot that killed “upwards of thirty thousand.” However, a closer examination of Josephus’s account shows that the soldier was not mooning the crowd, but rather farting in their general direction. Josephus puts it more delicately: “One of the soldiers, raising his robe, stooped in an indecent attitude, so as to turn his backside to the Jews, and made a noise in keeping with his posture.”

Full story here :

www.slate.com...

So... how many of you in your younger years have mooned out of a car window, how many of you have mooned without REALLY knowing the significant reason?

Would you moon your neighbour because he is complaining about your cat piddling on his/her tomato plants...

Would you moon your hubby/wife/BF/GF because he/she is too tired/ has a headache etc etc...

Come on, lets here about your hidden mooning secrets?

Enjoy

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 21-8-2013 by Rodinus because: Word added

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

so this is in ancient and lost civilizations...mooning...really??

It will be a slow week I guess...

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarioOnTheFly
reply to post by Rodinus

so this is in ancient and lost civilizations...mooning...really??

It will be a slow week I guess...

If you can suggest where to put it Marion... taking into consideration your pertinent question (AND... staying polite of course!) i can ask the moderation staff to move to the relevant forum?

No need to get stroppy!

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 21-8-2013 by Rodinus because: Word added to avoid trollers who have nothing better to do than try and destroy threads...

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Totally not the kind of moon I was expecting, but interesting nonetheless.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rodinus
Whilst surfing this morning looking for the story of the kilt wearing gents from a certain Scots regiment (so they say)... who lifted up their kilts to scare away the oncoming attackers (Kyber pass?)

You wouldnt perhaps happen to be thinking of the movie Carry On... Up the Khyber

Still dressed in black tie, Sir Sidney orders the Regiment to form a line and lift their kilts, this time exposing their (implied) lack of underwear. The invading army is terrified, and retreats at once.

At the point 1:24:30 in the movie...

edit on 21-8-2013 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

don't worry about it...I couldn't care less where you put it...

the title and the chosen forum tricked me in to thinking this was about something else.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 02:42 AM
link   
And all for FUN only :

British soldiers show the Americans how it's done as they host Highland Games in Afghanistan (all washed down with haggis and Irn-Bru)

www.dailymail.co.uk...

They're thousands of miles from Scotland but that didn't stop soldiers, sailors and airmen stationed in Afghanistan letting off steam and celebrating their own Highland Games.

They used rocks from the desert as improvised 'shots' at the fun event, held at Camp Leatherneck in Helmand Province, with armed forces from the UK and the USA taking part.

It came as a morale boost for the forces, taking place days after two soldiers from 2 SCOTS and another from the 51st Highland 7th Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland (7 SCOTS) were killed in Helmand Province.

Bless em all i say!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Hehe, i would indeed Alfa...

Soooo funny... no need for bullets and bombs anymore... just imagine????

But look at the history of mooning... it goes far beyond the Carry on films?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

edit on 21-8-2013 by Rodinus because: *Grins*

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Catch you later Rod

Just off to walk the Krakon, it'll be a long day so I might not be around again until tomorrow

Interesting thread mate it's a shame I can't hang around and research with you

Cody

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by cody599
reply to post by Rodinus

Catch you later Rod

Just off to walk the Krakon, it'll be a long day so I might not be around again until tomorrow

Interesting thread mate it's a shame I can't hang around and research with you

Cody

May i suggest walking her to the lions den at the local zoo? (i hear feeding time is in about an hours time??)

Warmest

Rod

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Come on boys and girls...

It is still the summer holidays and i am sure that some of you long time members who dare not to venture during the school holidays (understandable!)... (as well as our new members) are just begging to get away from the UFOs, Area 51, and all the other conspiracy stuff just to have a quick chill out... come on and discover the underworld?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Hey there Rod! So about my mooning days...Hahahaha! Jk...

When I was 19 I was riding with my friends and we were going back to our apartment..and this car next to us was full of guys and we were just messing around and giggling and what not...then my friends dared me to moon the guys...and I thought hahaha...why the heck not...so I roll the window down and I moon them!! Oh we were all just laughing and havin a blast and thought thank goodness we will never see those guys again...

Then they got behind us...and we all thought..oh man are they gonna follow us now...then we pull into our apartments...and those guys lived in the same apartment complex and actually lived across the way form us!!!! I was mortified!!!hahahahahahaha! The guys got out and yelled nice butt!, hahahahahaha! Oh good times

My son for some reason moons me a lot! He says..mom..have you seen the moon tonight, and it will catch me off guard and I'll say no or what and he will moon me! The little booger head!!! Hahahah!

edit on 22-8-2013 by natalia because: Spelling

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   

and those guys lived in the same apartment complex and actually lived across the way form us!!!! I was mortified!!!hahahahahahaha! The guys got out and yelled nice butt!, hahahahahaha! Oh good times

edit on 22-8-2013 by natalia because: Spelling

Yep, remember well... i was the guy who shouted "nice butt"!!

Warmest respects

Rodinus

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
When i was a Scout we used to do countless hikes in Wales near the various narrow gauge railways and passing trains always got mooned by pretty much the whole troop.. on school trips in coaches too we probs spent more time with our bare butts pressed against the windows than in our trews and sat down. Good times!

I have not mooned in ages, but then i'd loose my CRB for that kinda thing

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
As we grew we learned to take it up a notch and often did what was known as "fanny" (tucked between the legs) while prancing around crying with laughter.

Then in my twenties i graduated to "Stingray"

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I had to post this....
I can't stop giggling..oh my gosh!! My son is a nut sometimes!! He is only 8...he just asked me a question... "what if I mooned you so hard ..that all you saw was my butt for the rest of your life"....What!?!?

join