It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain should not be sending aid to "bongo bongo land"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:11 AM
link   
This guy is doing nothing for the UK Independence Party -

A senior UKIP politician has been caught on camera saying Britain should not send aid to "bongo bongo land", claiming the recipients lavishly spend the money on luxuries. Godfrey Bloom, a UKIP MEP, was filmed at a meeting of supporters in the West Midlands saying those who received aid spent the money on "Ray-Ban sunglasses, apartments in Paris, Ferraris and all the rest of it". The video - obtained by the Guardian newspaper - also shows Mr Bloom railing against the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) for ruling that full life sentences could not be handed down.

This from the same man who in 2010 was ejected from the European Parliament for directing a Nazi slogan at a German colleague and in 2011 said small firms would have to be "stark staring mad" to hire young women because of the risk of them taking maternity leave at a later stage.

Well he's just charming!

Link 1

Link 2

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I feel he speaks the truth, we shouldn't be giving aid to certain Countries, because it never gets to where it should be going, and just lines the pockets of the Countries corrupt elite or the CEO's of charities. We need to take care of our own Country first.

I feel he could have said it better though being a politician. But he chose to say it this way.

Although i would like to point out that Prince Philip throughout his life being by the Queens side has said much much worse, yet people just guffaw and say "Awww Prince Philip has made a silly boo boo, he's so funny". He never gets held accountable for his words, so why when someone from UKIP says words to this affect, they are a closet nasty racist that needs to be strung up by the small and danglies?

edit on 7-8-2013 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Yes what he said is an insult to Bongo Bongo land but, how often does Britain send aid as a form of bnbe and when there is a real catastrophe, its the public who splash out millions to help - and I see a principle there.

Also if you look at many of the African leaders, they are huge, well fed, suited and booted whilst their people live in poor conditions. This problem has been going on for so long and many do sequest money into Swiss Bank accounts according to the time when we actually had investigative journalism.

Wasn't 70 million in aid given to Turkey recently - that country hardly needs it but it has been oh so helpful to the West and its allies and rewarded with 'aid'.

I would like to see exactly where all this aid Cameron demands to be taken from the British public actually goes to. I don't mind the countries that really need it but Geldorf exposed this years ago and has anything changed much?
I think a schedule of aid should be available for the public to inspect.

The old boy with his colourful language and ideas is a politician who actually says what he thinks. Whether rude, insulting or not its actually refreshing to get the truth that motivates a politician. Perhaps someone should tell him that part-timers hold most of the UK up so maternity leave is today no worry for the dear old boy.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

I feel that he is only giving voice to what many of us think anyway, good on him. Why we continue to send aid to these countries whilst this country is going down the pan is beyond me.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:48 AM
link   
It's because the amount of money we spend on international aid is an absolute drop in the ocean when compared to overall government spending. Fractions of a percent. 0.56% of Gross National Income in 2011 to be specific.

It sounds like a lot when quoted out of context, but really we spend very little on overseas aid.

And most of it goes to starving African countries like Ethiopia and Somalia where it saves a lot of lives.

Also a lot of it gets spent on British produced items, so a lot of that overseas aid money comes straight back to us when they use it to buy stuff from British companies. So in a sense you can consider the overseas aid budget to be the government supporting British firms.

reply to post by nake13

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Yes a lot of what he says is rubbish BUT

Should we a country so deeply in debt be sending aid to countries who can afford space programs for instance?

re the small business and employing women of around the age 20-30 ish - let me ask you this would you employ a lady who had just got married and you expected her to get pregnant shortly. I wouldn't as it may well be the tipping point of the business and cost you and the other employees their jobs too. If you only have a handful of employees and then hire a new one who shortly after training then goes on maternity leave for months - not only do i have to continue paying her wages but i would have to employ another person.

So i can only agree as a small business it is madness surely?

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   
It has only sparked a "racism" row because people want to make large parts of the English language obsolete to fit the now "politically correct" landscape.

"Bongo Bongo land" is not racist. It's a term people use. Some people want to paint the word "racist" to anyone who does not speak like a human rights lawyer or Green Party candidate.

Regards

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

if you don't think " bongo bongo land " is racist - then your detatchment from reality is absolute - if this person wishes to rail against aid - why can he not coherently argue against specific payments to named countries and specific instances of corruption by named recipients - instead of his generic slander

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Whether we should spend money on International Aid is quite a complex and emotive issue and probably deserves a thread all of it's own - it certainly warrants more open and public debate in the UK.

There's certainly nothing wrong with voicing those concerns, it's just the dismissive, arrogant and supercilious manner in which he has done so that I personally don't like.

edit on 7/8/13 by Freeborn because: Add ETA

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
if you don't think " bongo bongo land " is racist -

In your own words... Why is "Bongo Bongo Land" racist?

Is this another term to be removed from the colourful English language to appease the guilt ridden, politically correct, two dimensional "elite" who are forever telling us what to think and say?

Regards

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

I don't think it's the phrase 'bongo-bongo land' itself that some find offensive but rather the tone and context it was used in.

edit on 7/8/13 by Freeborn because: grammar and clarity

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
More power to his elbow, but he's a lone voice crying in the wilderness.

The planet is in thrall to globalist control freaks who hold any view which conflicts with their world view in utter contempt, including those of the ordinary man in the street.

As to his point about foreign aid, look at Pakistan, or Africa, or [insert any third world area of your choice].

The money YOU are earning is being siphoned off to prop up these unworthy places; it's a well-known marxist idea to make everyone on the planet the same, which is their confused notion of equality.

As we are all too painfully aware, this is utterly futile (not to mention that it's completely undemocratic to use MY money and YOUR money to do so).

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by CJCrawley
The money YOU are earning is being siphoned off to prop up these unworthy places; it's a well-known marxist idea to make everyone on the planet the same, which is their confused notion of equality.

As we are all too painfully aware, this is utterly futile (not to mention that it's completely undemocratic to use MY money and YOUR money to do so).

Well I am not earning any money, been unemployed a while now and not for the lack of trying, ive lost count of how many jobs ive applied for, no thanks to douchebags like Mr Bloom there who would rather point the finger at developing nations than do something about bringing more jobs to the UK. hell if it were up to him women probably wouldnt be allowed to work, hes already stated that small firms are 'stark staring mad' to hire young women, attitudes like this do nothing to increase my chances of getting a job.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   

I agree and my heart goes out to you; we are all affected by the artificially inflated unemployment.

I have no doubt that I would find it virtually impossible to find work if I were to lose my present job (which could easily happen at any time).

We are the victims of the globalist scam of importing bodies to fill non-existent jobs, thus cranking up unemployment.

As to this MP....hey, you might be right, I wouldn't know.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   

The unsavoury truth of the matter is that he is correct. Aid to a lot of impoverished countries ends up in the hands of the corrupt 'leaders' of those countries, and rarely does anything filter down to the people who need it.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
UKIP the party for xenophobes and petty racists.

Did anyone expect anything else from these jokers? Seriously.

To the poster who said 'he's just saying what we all think'.

NO he really isn't. We're not all that stupid and paranoid.

Hopefully this will just be another nail in UKIP's coffin.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
While I do not agree with the terms that were used ... I do agree with the sentiment.

We should not be giving aid to anybody while our national debt is already soaring to un-payable levels.

Even with these stupid austerity measures our annual borrowing has increased to 700 billion.

We are Bankrupt ... it's official.

We all know that foreign aid is another term for business bribery and kickbacks to allow British mining interests access to resources with minimal taxes and work condition regulations ... it's a racket !!

C..

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
What an idiot,

I have no problem with someone taking a political view that we should not be giving as much aid to other countries when we have NHS cut backs and so on.

But to make such a political point with a vile racist term like "bongo bongo land" only belittles the political point and makes him and his party look like a bunch of morons.

If he had said for instance "we should cut back aid to Kenya", fair enough, but using such a ignorant term just makes me think he should be sacked form UKIP

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
If the term "Bongo bongo land" rustles your jimmies, you need to re-evaluate what upsets you. I can think of more things that deserve outrage than a stupid comment made somewhere.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Auricom
If the term "Bongo bongo land" rustles your jimmies, you need to re-evaluate what upsets you. I can think of more things that deserve outrage than a stupid comment made somewhere.

The fact that we have a person in power referring to foreign countries as 'Bongo bongo land' doesn't sit well with me.

In fact it makes me think he's a close minded idiot, incapable of any serious dialogue and shouldn't be trusted with dealing with anything of importance.

Much like his followers.

Thankfully, as long as UKIP remain a single issue party, they'll hopefully vanish into the obscurity they deserve. Now if only the same could be said about the Tories.

<<   2  3 >>

join