It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Ohio Lawmakers Oppose Stand-Your-Ground Bill

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
********* MAKE NOTE: This Thread is NOT about the Zimmerman/Martin Case *************

This is Not an open discussion to argue the facts from that case.

If you are interested in doing that then go HERE and contribute to that thread.
***************************************************************************************************

In light of the events surrounding a particular case in Florida, which brought National Notoriety to the "Stand Your Ground" Law, Black Lawmakers are petitioning to put a stop to the proposed Bill in the Sate Of Ohio.

News Article

A group of black lawmakers in Ohio has started circulating petitions to help keep a stand-your-ground proposal from being passed in the state.

The bill would allow people to use force to defend themselves without having a duty to retreat first.

The legislation goes beyond Ohio’s current castle doctrine law, which gives people the right to defend themselves with force in their homes, vehicles or vehicles of immediate family members.

Debate over such measures has increased since the recent acquittal of George Zimmerman in the 2012 shooting death of unarmed black teen Trayvon Martin in Florida. Martin’s family say Zimmerman, who identifies as Hispanic, racially profiled Martin as a potential criminal and wrongly followed him. Zimmerman says Martin attacked him.

At least 21 states have laws similar to the one in Florida, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. The laws generally eliminate a person’s duty to retreat in the face of a serious physical threat.

Civil rights leaders, including the Rev. Al Sharpton, have said they would push for repeal of the laws. The Ohio Legislative Black Caucus wants to keep the idea from moving forward in the Republican-dominated General Assembly.

Please allow me to start by saying that these Lawmakers are suggesting that we should fail this law based on race. After all, they are citing that the case mentioned herein was racially motivated and that they need to shoot down this law before it is passed. They are basically saying that IF the law passes that it will make it O.K. for Anyone to kill a "Black" person just by saying that they were protecting themselves.

What really Pi$$es me off about this is that they are trying to block this law for ALL of the Wrong reasons. It goes against the Social Norm and encourages Segregation.

In my opinion a law should be opposed because it Violates Rights or is Economically Unfeasible among other valid reasons. Not because someone wants to protect a particular race, that statistically speaking, are the prominent perpetrators of Violent Crimes.

Case In Point:

Here is an article published by the Huffington Post

Are Blacks a Criminal Race

Please pay particular attention to this .. . ..

•Weapons. According to the Center on Disease Control's annual Youth Risk Behavior Survey, in 2001 whites and African Americans reported similar rates of carrying a weapon (whites 17.9%, African Americans 15.2%), and similar rates of carrying a gun (whites 5.5%, and African Americans, 6.5%). [10] African American youth represent 32% of all weapons arrests, and were arrested for weapons offenses at a rate twice that of whites (69 per 100,000, versus 30 per 100,000). [11]

•Assault. According to the Center on Disease Control's annual Youth Risk Behavior Survey, African Americans report being in a physical fight at a similar rate (36.5%, versus 32.5% for whites), but were arrested for aggravated assault at a rate nearly three times that of whites (137 per 100,000, versus 48 per 100,000).

If in fact Blacks are a Criminal Race, these Lawmakers are Enabling said perpetrators in the crimes mentioned in the except to engage in such activity without immediate consequence from their victims.

I would easily call their Actions RACIALLY MOTIVATED.

If it were White Lawmakers doing such a thing, you had better believe there would Definitely be a Witch Hunt.

The NAACP would be all over it like Stink on XXXX A Fat Guy that doesn't bathe.

How is this O.K for "Black" Lawmakers to justify blocking a bill solely based on the "Race" Issue?

It Doesn't.

This Can't be Tolerated, but it will be because No one wants to be a Target of the NAACP.

It is a sad world.

In conclusion I just wanted to add that there is No Way in Hell that they are going to be able to stop this Bill because the Majority Rules when it comes to Votes.

The point is that "Race" should NEVER be a motivation for enacting laws. UNLESS we are talking about the Emancipation Proclamation. In that case, ALL Blacks should recognize the Fact that the WHITE MAN are the ones who made that happen.

edit on 4-8-2013 by ShadellacZumbrum because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Black "lawmakers" posturing to make themselves popular by riding the current Zimmerman "outrage" . Nothing more. Just the basic arguing from emotions - not facts. Politics as usual.

They are not outraged, just seeking votes/followers/popularity/airtime...

edit on 3-8-2013 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

I Agree whole heartedly. It is about emotions

Though, they are setting a terrible example.

It is synonymous to someone beating their children because they are mad at them.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

First off, to call Sharpton a 'Civil Rights Leader' is a farce.......but that is going off topic.

I don't know what they think they will accomplish by this, other than bring race up into the fore front.
Grand standing at it's finest....

All laws need to be made for every one, regardless of race.
If there is a problem with a law, it needs to be reviewed by all lawmakers, not just a few that are of different skin color.

Now they are making 'Stand Your Ground' to sound like a black issue when it never was before.

edit on 4-8-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

I don't know what they think they will accomplish by this, other than bring race up into the fore front.

They will accomplish Absolutely Nothing and, waste Tax Dollars in the Process.

As I mentioned in the OP the Majority Rules.

It is the principle of the matter. IF all lawmakers were opposed to it and were pursuing petitions based on the idea that it would cause an imminent danger, then I could agree that they are doing it for the Right reasons.

But with this law, I am completely for it. It gives victims another option of protecting themselves from violent crimes.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   

I would like to point out one reason for the bill.......

Johnson told an Ohio House committee in June that lawful gun owners shouldn’t have to turn their backs on an assailant to try to flee if they are in a place where they have a right to be.

“If I was out with my family and we were attacked, I would want to be able to defend them and exercise my constitutional right to do so,” Johnson said in written testimony. He noted that people would still need to prove in court that they were acting in self-defense.

Now then, think about the many shootings at schools, movie theaters, restaurants.
Mass shootings....

So according to Johnson, with this bill a person can defend their family/friends if in a dire situation when not at home? Such as a movie theater? A restaurant?

There sure have been some crazy folks that are trigger happy and mentally unstable that like to hurt people.

WTH has that got to do with black people?
Not a damn thing.

So shut up and do your work, what ever that is.
And quit playing the race game.

edit on 4-8-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadellacZumbrum

•Weapons. According to the Center on Disease Control's annual Youth Risk Behavior Survey, in 2001 whites and African Americans reported similar rates of carrying a weapon (whites 17.9%, African Americans 15.2%), and similar rates of carrying a gun (whites 5.5%, and African Americans, 6.5%). [10] African American youth represent 32% of all weapons arrests, and were arrested for weapons offenses at a rate twice that of whites (69 per 100,000, versus 30 per 100,000). [11]

•Assault. According to the Center on Disease Control's annual Youth Risk Behavior Survey, African Americans report being in a physical fight at a similar rate (36.5%, versus 32.5% for whites), but were arrested for aggravated assault at a rate nearly three times that of whites (137 per 100,000, versus 48 per 100,000).

I say this because someone really has to say this again: We all know that blacks are much more likely to be arrested than whites. Statistics can be made to serve a larger lie. We must at all times be on the lookout for larger agendas. At Huffpost as well as among black Ohio lawmakers.

But overall I agree with you. This is nothing but grandstanding and parading outrage to pander to potential voters....

ETA: Well, I see snarky412 sorta beat me to it while I was composing. We gotta be careful what sort of propaganda we buy into, is all I'm saying....

edit on 8/4/2013 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Majority Rules.

It really does Not stand a chance, which is something that really bunches the panties clear up around the back of my neck, because it is an absolute waste.

Why doesn't the "White" community have an organization that acts against those who operate in this manner?

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   

I don't know. But I'd be careful about encouraging white-against-black (or vise-versa) organizations. This is one of those things where we have no choice but to trust that common sense will win out. Which, of course, it hardly ever does. We'll have to live with the result, one way or the other....

Further edit. This seems like an opportune time to remind readers why the Founders were so wary of direct democracy--to the point that many of them repeatedly warned us against it. Mob rule. People in the throes of great emotion tend to vote against their own interests and their own well-being. In the end it should balance out. Maybe not sooner--but later. I wouldn't fret over it too much.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

I stand corrected.

Please allow me clarify.

I was not trying to encourage White against Black Organizations.

What I really meant was the Black Community has the NAACP for what they say is the Protector of Black Civil Rights. Should it Not be fair that the White Community have such an organization?

P.S.. .. That really is a Sharp Double Edged Sword.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Actually, I'd like to reconsider how I expressed that. I may have been a bit cruel.

I do see what you mean. But I think the problem may not be as you perceive it.

Let me play devil's advocate for a minute. Seen through the eyes of the black men you mention--or, to be more accurate, the way they want their constituents to see things--the whole problem is institutional bias against blacks; that is, it's built into the system. To a degree, and I hope all open-minded people can admit it--that's true--all "official" protestations aside. It's one of the ways the plantation "massas" control us: By keeping us at each other's throats. That's why all the Zimmerman hate on one side, and the Martin hate on the other. We're not thinking. We're "feeling" our way through this entire thing. As we are programmed to do.

See what I'm saying? It's all going according to the "Big Lie" that we're being programmed to accept. Those lawmakers want their constituency to feel powerless against the (fake) white man's agenda, while drawing attention away from the real agenda.

Sorry about not being clear. That's what I should have said earlier....

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Thanks for amending that into softer terms.

The last thing I want to do is come off like a racist. I was raised quite the opposite of that.

It really is like walking a tight rope made of glass when a "White" man discusses racial issues.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   

So they want to replace "Stand Your Ground" with. . .

"Run Away Like A Little Girl".

*facepalm*
edit on 4-8-2013 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Careful Beezer, Else we will have Women' Rights Activists in here giving us hell
edit on 4-8-2013 by ShadellacZumbrum because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

edit on 4-8-2013 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

I thought that already was the war cry of a gun owner without his weapon..

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   

*facepalm*

Very droll. But not as much a joke as you think.

Look at the anti-bullying laws making their way through the legislatures, and passed down the line even so far as the schools--actually, especially the schools. They've pretty much given up on the two older generations, but they're doubling-down on the younger ones.

It's brainwashing, pure and simple. The plan is to convince their charges that you must never-never-ever try solving your own problems, or standing up for yourself, or--God forfend--someone else. Always, always run to the Authorities to solve your problems for you. Government is your friend. Government is your protector. Government is good.

Chances are, they'll never hear this quote:

The nine most terrifying words in the English language: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' -- Ronald Reagan

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

We have a community organizer as president.

Everyone is a victim.

If you aren't a victim, then you don't fit into the paradigm.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:16 AM
link   

reply to post by Ex_CT2

We have a community organizer as president.

Everyone is a victim.

If you aren't a victim, then you don't fit into the paradigm.

Well, exactly. I guess if you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail....

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Definitely so. By nature, in one way or another, everyone is a victim.

However, as funny as it may seem, those in power have the ability to select how they are victimized. It is quite Ironic.

After all Everyone is a Puppet and the World is a Stage.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 03:16 AM
link   
This is because tptb are outraged that white people dare consider defending themselves. You are a dirty, filthy, racist, POS and must take the beating-robbing-rape that is coming to you!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join