It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Paranormal Website / App Seems Dubious; Your Thoughts?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I'm not sure about where this topic stands in regards to the ATS Terms & Conditions. I feel that I am posing some legitimate questions that involve another website and their App. If I have stepped beyond the T&C with this thread, it's unintentional. If that's the case, Mods please let me know what I can do to get the thread within the parameters of the T&C.

I look for UFO and other paranormal videos on YouTube quite frequently as many of us here on ATS do. Today a promotion popped up for a new website / App that claims to track news items and videos pertaining to UFOs, the paranormal and conspiracies and feed these links to the user. They invite you to download the App into your computer. The website is called Phenotrack.com. The first thing that came to my mind was, "That would be a perfect way for TPTB to track what you look at and to spread disinformation."

I did a little more digging, and I found a Youtube video by a guy who claims to have found trojan software embedded in their download that allegedly collects user information. In the video he shows where he posed questions about the trojan software to the proprietors that went unanswered.
He also raised some of the concerns that I have about the App in his video commentary.
Here is the video:

I want to ask the ATS community if they have any direct experience with this software or website. Does it seem legit, or does it seem sketchy? I'm not trying to say anything negative about this webite / App, and I'm not saying anything positive about it either - per se'. I'm saying that it just seems fishy to me personally, and the video review reinforced that initial gut feeling that I had when I viewed their promo. My Spidey Senses are tingling on this one, and I thought I would solicit for information and opinions from the community here.
edit on 3-8-2013 by moonzoo7 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-8-2013 by moonzoo7 because: getting video loaded, typos

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Just to clear something up - it's not an app. It's a browser toolbar.

They are always bad. You may as well take your pants off and walk into a prison with a sexy smile.

First thing I notice in the page to install it, it wants to install facebook addons.

We've come so far around that we're back to toolbar addons hijacking your browser and people have forgotten the problems of 10 years ago.

Also think about it, if you want to keep up to date with information you feel is important only YOU can decide what that information is, not some automated script scraping the internet for everything and lumping it on your screen. You can do that manually with google anyway.

Still, hopefully people do check things before clicking on things willy nilly. This is exactly how things like the FBI mokeypak scam work. If in doubt, use sandboxie or some other method to segregate your browser from your pc.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

They are always bad. You may as well take your pants off and walk into a prison with a sexy smile.

LMAO.......

On a serious note, was reading your comment to the OP and never heard of 'sandboxie'.
Thanks for the tip and will look into it.
You helped the both of us.......

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Thanks for the input. That's good info to share. I guess this thread isn't going to see much action, but such is life.

new topics

top topics

join