It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Admendment and PC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
City officials urge ban on 'potentially offensive' language
In this day and age, there comes a point where one much wonder what exactly goes on in the mind of an elected official. While they strive to keep things equal, ideally that is what the laws are suppose to do. However, when it starts to creep over to the every day there has to be a point where people should take notice on how strange and funny the things that they come up with.

In this case, in the city of Seattle, they are trying to ban the terms citizen and brown bag. Of all of the different things and problems that they have to deal with, why language? Why is it that they want to take words, that we have used for years and years, and now bad them from use by the general population? Who exactly are they trying to not offend by the word citizen and brown bag? Do these words have a different meaning that non of us have been informed of?

As this is a clear cut point of where they are trying to shape the minds of people nudging them to make choices that they want, it does open doors and leads to questions of what is next? Do we now go to the government to complain if someone offends with words, are words the new weapon to prevent people from expressing ideas or curbing the means for discontent?

It would be a sad state of affairs if now that due to people finding such offensive that it would lead to either the changing of great works of litrature, or outright banning of such.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I cannot personally recall any other time in our history, during my adult lifetime... when the government; local or federal, has made overt attempts to regulate the ability of people to speak freely and without fear of reprisal from official offices.

Even during the liberty-lean McCarthy years, speech was not under direct threat as much as the ramifications if you said something nice about somebody J. Edgar or Tailgunner Joe didn't like. And even then, you got a public trial... not cold storage in some undisclosed location by order of some faceless/nameless judge from some secret court.

Municipalities are like petty tyrannies today in some cases... city ordinances can strip one of the right to fly a flag or display a sign in their yard. It's just getting crazy.
edit on 2-8-2013 by redoubt because: addendum

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

I don't believe in or practice PC whatsoever. I believe in and practice FC.

Factually Correct speech.

join