It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gerber’s new ‘Downrange Tomahawk’

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Designed as a complete breaching tool and featuring an axe head, prybar and hammerhead, the Down Range Tomahawk is build in Portland, OR of 420HC steel (Cerakoted) and desert tan G-10. It comes with a MOLLE/PALS-compatible sheath and Kydex blade cover for ease of carry and rapid deployment.

This was designed for police departments and the military, but it looks like a VERY capable, lightweight survival tool...

Via the website:
Triple-Purpose Ax Head There’s no arguing with a tomahawk. This is largely due to the Downrange’s three-tiered approach to tactical breaching. The axe head’s beveled edge is capable of chopping through drywall and turning walls and doors to splinters. The backside of the ax head functions as hammer for getting through hinges, locks, doorknobs and anything else that’s there to slow you down. The third threat is a pry bar at the end of the handle, controlled by a cutaway grip in the ax head.
Serious Pry Bar Opposite the business end of the Downrange Tomahawk is a hefty pry bar. With a solid marriage of physics and force, you can confidently pry away using the cutaway handle in the ax head for leverage. The 420HC steel body with Cerakote™ will not bend or break, and the desert tan G-10 handle has integrated scales to keep the tool firmly in your hands no matter the conditions.
Packs Like a Pro Tomahawks don’t exactly fit in your pocket, so it comes with a sheath that’s as practical as the tool itself. No matter what line of duty you serve in, if this tool is going to make it to where the action is, it has to be easy to carry. Which is where the MOLLE-compatible sheath comes into play. It readily attaches to your pack, standard webbing or body armor, so it goes where you do.
Overall Length: 19.27″ (48.9cm)
Weight: 1.9 lb. (861.8 g) without Sheath, 2.5 lbs. (1133.9 g) with sheath
Steel Type: 420HC
Handle Material: G-10

Downrange tomahawk

I have got to get one of these bad boys

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by madmac5150

MY WISHLIST...

*Tomahawk = CHECK!

This looks like another one of those things I just have to have. I've got to come up with some good excuses for my wife about why I need this device.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

MY WISHLIST...

*Tomahawk = CHECK!

This looks like another one of those things I just have to have. I've got to come up with some good excuses for my wife about why I need this device.

I hear ya... I have already started selling the wife on it

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Dude, you can use it to cut wood for the BBQ. All Texans know you can use scrub Mesquite for a flavor additive.

Just tell her "it's for a better burger baby:

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by hoagy1199
reply to post by seabag

Dude, you can use it to cut wood for the BBQ. All Texans know you can use scrub Mesquite for a flavor additive.

Just tell her "it's for a better burger baby:

I’ll have to come up with more than that! Did you see the price?

$285!

I've got to incorporate a use for it to accomplish my honey-do list!

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Yeah, I may have to sell a kidney... no way the wife will loosen the purse strings that far...

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Honestly, I didn't price it, didn't want to because I already knew the answer from my other half. She would have said no before I even finished the question.

Nice thought though. I wonder if it will make coffee and keep me warm at night? I doubt it.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   

once i heard gerber went chinese on us i decided to buy only local.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
It is TOO lightweight. One blow from a good man armed with a common hammer would probably break it. Also the open head design is vulnerable to countermeasures when in CQB. It could easily be snagged with a hook or claw hammer.
edit on 7-29-2013 by groingrinder because: Edited for more.

I would rather have one of these. And it is much cheaper.
edit on 7-30-2013 by groingrinder because: Edited for still more.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

I wasn't considering this as a primary at all... but, as someone with a little SAR experience, that would be great as a lightweight pack tool and quite utile...

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Dear Santa.........

Nice little gadget.

It is TOO lightweight. One blow from a good man armed with a common hammer would probably break it. Also the open head design is vulnerable to countermeasures when in CQB. It could easily be snagged with a hook or claw hammer.

True, and if going on a supply run after the SHTF, I'd likely take a standard axe, but for a BOB situation, it's a pretty cool tool.
edit on 30-7-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
why do all the survivalist tools have a stupid price tag? Really,this is a glorified roofing hammer.Get a good roofing hammer and a good crowbar,a lot cheaper and probably 10 times better quality.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by blkcwbyhat
why do all the survivalist tools have a stupid price tag? Really,this is a glorified roofing hammer.Get a good roofing hammer and a good crowbar,a lot cheaper and probably 10 times better quality.

Or a Rigger's Axe. Similar price as a shinglers hammer but with a bigger blade and probably hold up to hatchet type use better.

Either way one of those hammers and a crow bar will set you back $60-$80.

But they arent tacti-kewl!!!!

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Whoa! This thing is almost $300! Yeah...no thanks...not for what it is. Crazy.... Neat tool, but anyone who gets it has more money than sense....

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by blkcwbyhat

You can get a Cold Steel Trail Hawk for $25 and would be a much better tool for survival because it is a traditional hawk where the head is friction fitted so can make a new handle if it ever breaks or turn into a makeshift adze tool.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I get the idea that the high price tag of this item reflects the fact that it is designed for law enforcement/military applications... to keep it out of the hands of the average citizen...

Gerber used to make high quality steel... I have several older Gerber knives that have served me well for a very long time... hadn't heard about the Chinese buy out, but nothing surprises me anymore...

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
At that price it better chop my wood for me

Seriously though I have little use for a tomahawk in my kit

Just my preference

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by madmac5150
I get the idea that the high price tag of this item reflects the fact that it is designed for law enforcement/military applications... to keep it out of the hands of the average citizen...

More realistically the high price marketed to LEO's is because Gerber knows how little thought goes into teh government spending money.

Everything sold to government employees/agents is marked way up. It's just the taxpayers dollars after all.

I speak as a government employee who does purchasing. The moment they hear "town of..." or "state of..." the price triples.
edit on 2-8-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
At that price it better chop my wood for me

Seriously though I have little use for a tomahawk in my kit

Just my preference

I'm curious what you have in your kit which you think is better for chopping and hammering.Anything less than an actual axe which would weigh 5x more ain't going to cover the versatility of a hawk, guaranteed.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

to some small degree,I agree with you,but not because its a gov't contract,but due to the gov't requirements.I'm sure they can make this to wal mart specs,and sell it for 29.99 and sell a bazillion.The gov't issue is that they require a certain steel,with certification,heat treated,with certification,a certain type of wood handle,certified from a renewable forest,and packed in a certain box,with this brand of tape,and under 20 pounds per box of 20....gov't contracts are not pricey due to the parts,or who buys them...its all the red tape! I used to do gov't contracting,trust me!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join