It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Car Hacking - Possible Link To Hasting's Death?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Imagine being behind the wheel of your car, doing what you "think" is 50mph. In reality, you may be foing 70mph, and then soon find that your brakes stop working, your stearing can no longer be controled by you, and ahead... A TREE!

What would you do? What could you do? What would be going through your mind? Who could you have possibly pissed off?

All this makes one want to find an older car to avoid this kind of misshap. Oh wait... So few left since Clinton went on a cars for cash sweep many years ago.

All of this could seem like one big conspiracy to control the populace and what we might have to say while standing up for our rights.

Scared Yet? Sure, it seems like something out of a movie or novel, but...

Stomping on the brakes of a 3,500-pound Ford Escape that refuses to stop–or even slow down–produces a unique feeling of anxiety. In this case it also produces a deep groaning sound, like an angry water buffalo bellowing somewhere under the SUV’s chassis. The more I pound the pedal, the louder the groan gets–along with the delighted cackling of the two hackers sitting behind me in the backseat.

Article

So, what do you think now? What in the world is happening, these days? How could companies even fathom the idea that this kind of access to a vehicle is perfectly ok? Why is this even a real thing? WTF Car Companies?!?!?!

Makes you want to disable any electronics in your vehicle to prevent... wait... Isn't that illegal now?

So you see, my friends... Something is very amiss... almost like it's prepared and planned for... But oh... what can you do?

Miller, a 40-year-old security engineer at Twitter, and Valasek, the 31-year-old director of security intelligence at the Seattle consultancy IOActive, received an $80,000-plus grant last fall from the mad-scientist research arm of the Pentagon known as the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency to root out security vulnerabilities in automobiles.

So obviously this stuff was already known. Why are we JUST NOW hearing about it? It makes me SOOOO
that this sort of thing is even possible!

iRobot comes to mind.

range of nasty surprises: everything from annoyances like uncontrollably blasting the horn to serious hazards like slamming on the Prius’ brakes at high speeds. They sent commands from their laptops that killed power steering, spoofed the GPS and made pathological liars out of speedometers and odometers. Finally they directed me out to a country road, where Valasek showed that he could violently jerk the Prius’ steering at any speed, threatening to send us into a cornfield or a head-on collision. “Imagine you’re driving down a highway at 80 ,” Valasek says. “You’re going into the car next to you or into oncoming traffic. That’s going to be bad times.”

Scared yet? You should be!

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Some of us knew about this as soon as the Hastings story came to light, as there were a number of sources explaining how effective hacking a car could be. Especially being that it's relatively new, and not many know about it.

Some refuse to believe this as a possibility.

In any case, I've always been a skeptic. In the Hastings case, I'm skeptical of the official story. Where I left off in that one, there were way too many red lights allowing me to believe what was being said about it.

And what was not being said.

Seems car companies have been discussing the issue too by the way, since it was brought to their attention.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Hmmm I think that in order to do this at present there has to be a cable plugged into the car which is linked to the software.

I dont think it can be done remotley yet, but it is a concern.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Its been known for several years that cars electronic systems can be hacked using various methods. But it depends on the ECU of the car. Older cars cant be hacked like newer ones can. What car was he driving?

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
What car was he driving?

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

Already here and in the same forum.

ATS

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by theRhenn

So obviously this stuff was already known. Why are we JUST NOW hearing about it? It makes me SOOOO
that this sort of thing is even possible!

Its been public knowllege for years, heres a post from 3 years ago www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   

All this makes one want to find an older car to avoid this kind of misshap. Oh wait... So few left since Clinton went on a cars for cash sweep many years ago

If you're talking about the Cash for Clunkers program, that was under the one and only, Barack Obama...not Clinton

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofswords

I dont know what Obama had, but Clinton had the same back in the 90s. I remember when it came about. It was 1500 per car.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

SERIOUSLY the hackers were in the car with a laptop hooked up to the car

new topics

top topics

join