It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Cryo-sleep", food printers and Star Trek drives: NASA turns sci fi into reality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   
A technology to let astronauts "sleep" their way to Mars is just one of 12 proposals which could become reality thanks to a new NASA program which, “aims to turn science fiction into fact.”

Each technology has received funding from NASA - one of 12 ideas funded by the NASA Innovative Advanced Concepts (NIAC) programme this year.

"We're working together to transform the future of aerospace while investigating new technologies that may one day benefit our our lives here on Earth,” said Michael Gazarik of NASA.

Source

So NASA are listening to other people's ideas and funding them, which is pretty cool. I just hope we don't have to wait too long to see a Star Trek drive

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 03:14 AM
link   
It is funny how much that was sci-fi once upon a time is now fact and yesterdays news,could it be that there is some truth to "IF YOU CAN DREAM IT","YOU CAN DO IT" .

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by sarahlm

It is not so suprising when you think about it. Arthur C. Clarke was a sci-fi author, but also widely hailed as one of the progenitors of the idea of using satellites in a geostationary orbit as communications relay points. So much so, that the geostationary orbit is sometimes called the Clarke orbit, or the Clarke belt.

You only have to look at modern smartphones to be aware that technology in this day and age, basically attempts to make real the fantasies of science fiction. This is why I am so shocked when I think of how little the launch of a space vehicle has really changed since the first man went into orbit. Good, hard science fiction does not merely astound and amaze, is not just mindless entertainment, but a road map to the possibilities presented by an ever more interesting future.

Anything else, and all you get is tedious trash.

join