It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mom what is a conspiracy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Mom what is a conspiracy?

My nine year old daughter asked me that question today, It made me stop and realize I may not be getting the right message about the things going on around our world through to her. She knows this web site visually well when I am on it. Someone posted a few days ago you know your an ATS addict when... and I wanted to add when my kids laugh at certain avatars!

O.K. back on topic. I gave my daughter what most parents would give is to google and give her a definition. Which is what follows.

con·spir·a·cy (kn-spîr-s) n. pl. con·spir·a·cies 1. An agreement to perform together an illegal, wrongful, or subversive act. 2. A group of conspirators. 3. Law An agreement between two or more persons to commit a crime or accomplish a legal purpose through illegal action. 4. A joining or acting together, as if by sinister design:

conspiracy [kənˈspɪrəsɪ] n pl -cies 1. a secret plan or agreement to carry out an illegal or harmful act, esp with political motivation; plot 2. the act of making such plans in secret

con·spir·a·cy (kn-spîr-s) n. pl. con·spir·a·cies 1. An agreement to perform together an illegal, wrongful, or subversive act. 2. A group of conspirators. 3. Law An agreement between two or more persons to commit a crime or accomplish a legal purpose through illegal action. 4. A joining or acting together, as if by sinister design: a conspiracy of wind and tide that devastated coastal areas. [Middle English conspiracie, from Anglo-Norman, probably alteration of Old French conspiration, from Latin cnsprti, cnsprtin-, from cnsprtus, past participle of cnsprre, to conspire; see conspire.] conspiracy [kənˈspɪrəsɪ] n pl -cies 1. a secret plan or agreement to carry out an illegal or harmful act, esp with political motivation; plot 2. the act of making such plans in secret conspirator n conspiratorial [kənˌspɪrəˈtɔːrɪəl], conspiratory adj conspiratorially adv con•spir•a•cy (kənˈspɪr ə si) n., pl. -cies. 1. the act of conspiring. 2. a plan or agreement formulated, esp. in secret, by two or more persons to commit an unlawful, harmful, or treacherous act. 3. a group of persons for a secret, unlawful, or evil purpose. [1325–75; Middle English conspiracie, probably < Anglo-French; see conspire, -acy] con•spir′a•tive, adj. con•spir`a•to′ri•al (-ˈtɔr i əl, -ˈtoʊr-) con•spir′a•to`ry, adj. con•spir`a•to′ri•al•ly, adv. syn: conspiracy, plot, intrigue, cabal refer to surreptitious or covert schemes to accomplish some end, most often an illegal or evil one. A conspiracy usu. describes a treacherous or illicit plan formulated in secret by a group of persons: a conspiracy to control prices; a conspiracy of silence. A plot is a carefully planned secret scheme formulated by one or more persons: a plot to seize control of a company. An intrigue usu. involves duplicity and deceit aimed at achieving personal advantage: the petty intrigues of civil servants. cabal usu. refers to a scheme formulated by a small group of highly placed persons to gain control of a government: The regime was overthrown by a cabal of generals.

The latter definition is a mouth full I'll tell you. We have been discussing these things for over two hours now.

My question for my ATS family is where do you draw the line. How much info is to much. Kids these days are exposed to so many shows and movies that seem to depict the end of it all yet they (the kids) eat it up! I am wondering what you all do to keep your kids from becoming sheeple?
edit on 7/23/2013 by restlessinMT because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/23/2013 by restlessinMT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Well I dont have kids considering I'm only 17, but I do have a younger sister who is eight and is very very impressionable. All she does is watch Disney and Nickelodeon, and it really bothers me. Which watching TV isnt bad and all, but It has gotten to the point she trys to live out these characters on TV in real life and has all these fake witty TV comebacks and basically knows episode line for line and basically lives off of those lines from TV. I have been slowly been trying to get her off of the TV and all the fake realities that they impose on children.

Just keep telling her the truth (dont just throw it all at her at once though lol), even if they are just conspiracies, they are somewhat fascinating (at least I think so). But the truth is what matters. Try and tell her that watching TV doesnt really help her in the real world. They impose false realities, dont let the TV and movies get to ingrained in her head. You are the parent and you are supposed to be her role model and the one to tell her how the real world is, not the TV.

But all of this matters if she watches TV in the first place. Have fun!

Many regards!

~Redden
edit on 23-7-2013 by Redden because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 03:14 AM
link   
That's great you told her the truth. She'll respect you for it in the long term. Always tell kids the truth, otherwise they'll think you're stupid.

I was on a packed train once, and a man, his wife and daughter got on. His daughter was about 6 or 7 years old. After about 10 minutes she said what all kids say - "Are we nearly there yet?" To which her dad replied "We've got one quick stop on the moon first, and our stop is after that" She went quiet, then rolled her eye balls as if thinking to herself that she had the most stupid father in the entire world.

For a brief moment I was taken back to when my parents told me that Santa came down the chimney. And I never did respect my parents after that, it might seem harmless to test how gullible a child is but once a child has made their mind up that their parents are too stupid to respect then its all over. Always tell kids the truth. Good on ya.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Redden

O

We watch a little TV and I may have more influence than I want. I love the "Walking Dead" series and so does my husband and 9 year old going on 10 daughter but we will not let you younger boys, 7 and 4 watch it. All this world War Z and zombie television alike are what the powers that be seem to be promoting? We need super powers that will save us all! Zombies or mutant minions to take over the world! Ya I am really reaching here but am I?

World domination! "Pinky we will rule the Earth"!

Yep! There it is folks we will be ruled by genetically altered mice!

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by restlessinMT

I would just say, "When the truth of what happened is believed to be different than the widely reported and commonly accepted version of what happened". In a nutshell, that's really the core of the topics on this site.

Yep! There it is folks we will be ruled by genetically altered mice!

YES! Come Pinky...we have work to do...

edit on 23-7-2013 by Gazrok because: he loves that little evil mouse.....

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by restlessinMT

I figure if my kids can muster up the knowledge to ask me pertinent question I should answer them in the most honest and informed manner possible. My daughter is 12 and heard me talking with my parents about certain aspect of politics and war which we don't particularly agree with. Last week she asked me a slew of questions. Why this and why that. We talked for a good 45 min. I believe you should talk to your kids about anything given they are mature enough to understand.

top topics

join