It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Being homeless soon a crime in Miami?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Eat, sleep or just stand around in public...illegal. Especially if you look like you're homeless.

I don't expect many to see this as wrong because these people are just an eyesore to them. Hard to face what you fear. So, out of sight...out of mind.

This seems like a gold mine law for the prison for profit corporations to me. Put them all in jail, put them to work, get paid. Sweet deal right?

Homelessness a crime...What a World.

What crime was committed by those that lost their homes and jobs because their Country failed them? None. But now they might end up being nothing but a notch on a profit and loss chart for a prison for profit corp.

Peace

edit on 20-7-2013 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Prisons for profit..I still can't get my head around that.
The guy wants to spend a month on the streets, then maybe he will have some empathy for those less fortunate then himself.

+8 more 
posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
I don't expect many to see this as wrong because these people are just an eyesore to them.
Doesn't that just show how powerful the msm is?

MAKING people homeless should be the crime in a civilized society.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
The laws in Florida are getting out of hand. Prisons must be empty over there because if they do pass this crap does that mean every homeless will get round up?

I'm wondering if CCA has any pull on this?
edit on 20-7-2013 by sylent6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by jude11

Prisons for profit..I still can't get my head around that.
The guy wants to spend a month on the streets, then maybe he will have some empathy for those less fortunate then himself.

The problem is the prison for profit system and not the homeless IMO.

Many (not all) are not violent criminals and as stated many are there because of financial losses. Many can't find work even tho trying.

What happens to the kids of the parents who may get locked up? Into the system of course. And how does that benefit anyone?

Peace

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

Originally posted by jude11
I don't expect many to see this as wrong because these people are just an eyesore to them.
Doesn't that just show how powerful the msm is?

MAKING people homeless should be the crime in a civilized society.

Agreed 100% my friend.

Peace

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I know it is insane, like the guy says in the interview the homeless have changed they are normal people who have lost their jobs due to the economic crisis.
The prison owners obviously want more people in Jail and has slipped this guy some $ to try and get more in Jail for simply being homeless.
I can not see this actually happening but If it does I hope you the people of the USA do something about it.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   

reply to post by jude11

I know it is insane, like the guy says in the interview the homeless have changed they are normal people who have lost their jobs due to the economic crisis.
The prison owners obviously want more people in Jail and has slipped this guy some $ to try and get more in Jail for simply being homeless.
I can not see this actually happening but If it does I hope you the people of the USA do something about it.

And that's what I'm seeing between the lines.

Lobbyists getting excited and prisons drooling over the potential to have 1,000's more under lock and key for profit.

Peace

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

And I bet they have to work in jail..a cheap labour force for the corporations grrrr

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
The system they want is to scoop up all of societies eyes sores and send them to profit labour prisons. Its new age of compassion or lack of it. How did it come to this?

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   

reply to post by jude11

And I bet they have to work in jail..a cheap labour force for the corporations grrrr

This will give you an idea of the corruption of such a system:

en.wikipedia.org...

Economics

When the prison population grows, a rising rate of incarceration feeds small and large businesses such as providers of furniture, transportation, food, clothes and medical services, construction and communication firms. Prison activists who buttress the notion of a prison industrial complex argue that these parties have a great interest in the expansion of the prison system since their development and prosperity directly depends on the number of inmates. They liken the prison industrial complex to any industry that needs more and more raw materials, prisoners being the material.[8]

The prison industrial complex has also been said to include private businesses that benefit from the exploitation of the prison labor;[9] prison mechanisms remove "unexploitable" labor, or so-called "underclass", from society and redefine it as highly exploitable cheap labor.[10] Scholars using the term "prison industrial complex" have argued that the trend of "hiring out prisoners" is a continuation of the slavery tradition.[11] Prisoners perform a great array of jobs and are exploited in the following ways: minimal payments, no insurances, no strikes, all workers are full-time and never arrive late. Cynthia Young states that prison labor is "employers' paradise".[12]

Because of the high profits involved, new businesses involving the import and export of prisoners were developed. Also the prison industry enables to close the gap between free and coerced labor.[13] Prison labor can soon deprive the free labor of jobs in a number of sectors, since the organized labor turns out to be uncompetitive comparing to the prison counterpart.[12]

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
In some form or another homelessness has often been a crime. When I was out on the streets I was harassed by the police on a few occasions.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by HauntWok
In some form or another homelessness has often been a crime. When I was out on the streets I was harassed by the police on a few occasions.

Harassment has always come with the territory I agree. I was homelss in my youth for a few years. For the most part tho, if I didn't bother anyone I was left alone.

But to make it a crime punishable by imprisonment? To say that because you could be incarcerated for eating in public? Another story altogether.

And then we have the question of how long is the term? Indefinite wouldn't surprise me since it's the new order but let's say 6 Months for argument sake. What happens after 6 Months? Back to the street and now with a prison record. Still trying for that job to get off the streets? Good luck. No job, no house? Back to prison.

Once in, these people will never get out.

Peace

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Trying to find a news source for this item that is not the RT video, or a cite to it isnt easy.
Its pretty much the case there there's a million websites today all reporting on this issue, and *every single one* is using this RT video as a source.

But
what if I want to read a bit more about this issue, and read the actual proposed law changes?

Edit - according to this message from Sarnoff, all the proposed future "illegal" activities are illegal already, its just that the police dont do anything about them under a 1998 agreement.

They can’t be arrested for “life-sustaining” activities such as defecating or urinating on the streets, taking naked baths, starting fires for warmth or blocking private property.

and elsewhere...

... to modify the agreement so police can arrest anyone who blocks a sidewalk, cooks a meal in a public area using a fire, litters, urinates or defecates in public, or engages in lewd conduct...

edit on 20-7-2013 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I'd tend to doubt the prisons see many new arrivals from this. I think Miami sounds pretty full of itself to "outlaw" homeless people. Whatever the specifics of the change may be, the effective end result would seem to be accurate to call that.

What I think people in South Florida will see shortly after Miami cops start really pushing this is migration of homeless into surrounding cities. Maybe cities like Hialeah where the cops are far to busy with real police work to screw with some political tough love nonsense.

The lawmaker talking about cracking down should be the one first turned unemployed then homeless to see what he's talking about. I'm sure he'll have a much different attitude in fairly short order.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1
Trying to find a news source for this item that is not the RT video, or a cite to it isnt easy.
Its pretty much the case there there's a million websites today all reporting on this issue, and *every single one* is using this RT video as a source.

But
what if I want to read a bit more about this issue, and read the actual proposed law changes?

Edit - according to this message from Sarnoff, all the proposed future "illegal" activities are illegal already, its just that the police dont do anything about them under a 1998 agreement.

They can’t be arrested for “life-sustaining” activities such as defecating or urinating on the streets, taking naked baths, starting fires for warmth or blocking private property.

edit on 20-7-2013 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

I tried as well. That is until I realized I was looking for the MSM to report on something that actually mattered.

It seems that the 1998 agreement is what is at stake here.

Miami Heads To Federal Court To Get Permission To Arrest Homeless People

blogs.miaminewtimes.com...
The City of Miami has taken to federal court to undo a 15-year-old legal agreement that protected homeless people from undue arrest and harassment by the authorities. The city is concerned the homeless population is stunting downtown's growth, and want the courts to alter a 1988 settlement that bars Miami police from arresting homeless people for such "involuntary, harmless acts'' without first offering them an alternative location to lay their head.

And:

www.miamiherald.com...

Miami to go to federal court to undo homeless-protection act

Read more here: www.miamiherald.com...=cpy

That's what I could find for now.

Peace

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   

reply to post by jude11

And in Florida, you HAVE to work in prison and DONT get paid, ie SLAVE LABOR

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by captbill279

Nice first post.

"Steam Boat Willie?" "Walt Disney"

Trolling or contributing? Can't tell.

Peace

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I'll let you know.

Luke.10
[3] Go your ways: behold, I send you forth as lambs among wolves.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join