It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet Sales Tax, good or bad?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I can see only two options which could even be close to fair in the event of an internet tax is inacted.

1) The tax would be paid by the perchaser to the state where they live.

2) The tax would go directly to the federal government in the form of a national sales tax.

In case # 1 the amount of the tax would be equal to 1/2 the state sales tax.

In case # 2 the tax could never exceed 1.5 % of the total sales involved.

These are not big numbers but would have a cumulative effect over time with out any great increases in the amounts paid by the consumer.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by teamcommander

Sorry, I can't buy into any sales tax to the feds. First, it would only stay at 1.5% until they put us even further in debt and scream bloody blue murder that they needed more.

Second, if the feds want a new tax, as another poster suggested, put a 1% on Wall Street, on the speculators, not the consumers who bear the brunt of all the rest of the taxes and "fees".
edit on 19-7-2013 by nwtrucker because: grammar

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by nwtrucker
reply to post by teamcommander

Sorry, I can't buy into any sales tax to the feds. First, it would only stay at 1.5% until they put us even further in debt and scream bloody blue murder that they needed more.

Second, if the feds want a new tax, as another poster suggested, put a 1% on Wall Street, on the speculators, not the consumers who bear the brunt of all the rest of the taxes and "fees".
edit on 19-7-2013 by nwtrucker because: grammar

Whoa !!!

You can't tax Wall street, that's where politicians get their money.
How can they all get rich if their "employers" have to start paying money into the government coffers intead of their pockets???

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
BAD

It steals from the consumers and small business.
Is there any downside for the money masters who own the government?

Nope.

HOW about a transaction tax on wall street trades?

I'll bet that would never see the light of day

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I'll continue to buy online from the small internet entreprenaurs no matter the cost because of the convenience and time saved it offers.

This will just give the Wall street government more of money that they will not have to pay

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by MastaShake
I too have mixed feelings, I dont think that an internet sales tax would be such a bad thing IF they use the money from that to improve the internet infrastructure in the countries where its collected. Kinda how tolls are used to maintain the roads

The problem is that greed and corruption take over and even with good intentions in the beginning, others in the local or federal government work to get a cut of that money as well.

Take tobacco tax for example. It was said it would be used to offset smoking related costs. The state just bought a new football stadium from the cig sales tax.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I reread your post and mistakenly assumed it was a sales tax. At least on the Canadian side. If you did pay a tax in the U.S., the only one that I know of is a sales tax which shouldn't apply to an export vehicle.

If it was a "sales tax" then I'm guessing you'd be exempt in Canada and would have to pay it there if you hadn't in the U.S..

That make more sense? ( I was low blood sugar on the first post).LOL

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by nwtrucker

Well the vehicles were all bought years before, I wasn't planning on moving here so soon, if ever, it was going to be after retirement, or if I had to come take care of my parents. They called it an import tax I believe, but it's really semantics, the canadian government wanting a piece of the pie. The cutoff date was older than 1994 I think it was, then you didn't have to pay the tax.

They do the same for construction materials as well, which sucks balls. Construction materials cost at least double up here, sometimes close to triple, even maple

Sick of taxes taxes taxes. At least property tax is not bad, I would rather not pay rent for my land though, it's not like we have sewers and public water or anything that needs to be taken care of. It's less per year here, than it would be per month in NY though, so less to complain about here than there.

<< 1  2   >>

join