It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The USA is one of the least racist countries in the World

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
The results may have been somewhat different if, as someone else mentioned, the chosen question had been something other than "who would you not want to live next to?, such as "who would you not want your child to marry?".

By the way, being anti-catholic or anti-muslim is not being racist though there may in some instances be a racial component to it. Both are examples of bigotry rather than racism, which is specific type of bigotry.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I think that depends on how you measure "racist". Maybe people don't care who lives next door to them, but that's only one SMALL measure. When it comes to the criminal justice system and our educational system, the racism is clear. It's a MUCH bigger issue than who lives next door.

READ CAREFULLY:

We have a larger black incarceration rate NOW than South Africa did under apartheid. Almost 6 times as much!

Incarceration rate per 100,000 Black males in South Africa under apartheid (1993): 851
Incarceration rate per 100,000 African-American males in the United States under George W. Bush (2001): 4,848

Crime and Incarceration Rate Around the Wold

The stupefying fact that the United States imprisons a larger percentage of its black population than South Africa did at the height of apartheid is indefensible.

Clear and consistent racial bias within the educational and criminal justice systems creates a funnel for the 32% of black males that will spend time in prison. Play-dates don't exist in the hood and gangs serving as childcare fuels the cycle of violence.

FOX News (Yes, I linked to FOX News)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by InSolace

I would also like to add that this isn't just an issue for immigrants in Scandinavia. There is tension coming from both immigrants and people who have stayed here for a couple of generations. It's an issue of integration which has stayed with us likely since the 50s.

I'd say we shouldn't go haywire with this statistic as it doesn't cover the whole spectrum of xenophobic/racist intricacies.
edit on 17-7-2013 by InSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
maybe the least overtly racist 1st you have to get people to admit they are racist not to mention the people who do not know they are racist

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

Last i heard he was only 50% black.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

This is linked on your map page:

Five Insights on the Racial Tolerance and Ethnicity Maps

...reducing such a complicated, subjective phenomenon to a single metric - the frequency with which people in a certain country said they would not want neighbors of a different race - is going to produce some highly disputable results.

It’s tough to gauge racial intolerance through just one metric.
Different people might hear the question differently.
What’s the link between diversity and conflict?
Ethnic conflict comes from “concentration,” not “fractionalization.”

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
So ummm, what do the grey bits mean? They're not in the colour key.

Apologies i haven't had time to read the whole thread yet.

Anyway I won't agree or disagree on the level of racism in the USA, but i appreciate the research and have taken it on board.

Here's a short story that still contradicts your point though.

I'm from London and went to work in Texas for a year and a half, I loved it.
Anyway I met another guy on the off chance t hat happened to be from the uk too.

We became friends and still are. After knowing him for a year, i realised he was intelligent and trustworthy and I was glad I'd met him. And after hanging out together for a good 8-10 months, the racism conversation came up

I clearly stated my position by saying I disagree with racism, and that I don't have a racist bone in my body (I still don't)

What he said to me will stay with me forever. Here it is;

"Mate I was EXACTLY the same as you when I got here 4 years ago, but the $hit I've witnessed and endured from black people here has actually made me racist"

He explained that when out in public, shopping etc that black people would look down their nose at him, make racist comments and do that sucking thing between their teeth. On a regular basis.

Anyway, this doesn't make usa more racist than any other country. It's just something I wanted to share.
edit on 17/7/13 by OpenEars123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by OpenEars123

It's a different culture to be sure. We can't all love each other. Humans in general are very intolerant.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
good joke ... seen and experienced firsthand the racism that exists in the u.s ..

its just more veiled than in other parts of the world ..

Great response!

No it;s a bad joke.
Certainly many people are steeped in racism. But one should study the history of this country and look at the deeds of America towards others and not merely look at polls and “research”

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
reply to post by Bilk22

Last i heard he was only 50% black.

We voted for that half as well otherwise he wouldn't be president.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Awesome great post.

I have been telling this to people for years, because it is true!

Thanks for sharing. Keep it up!

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 03:23 AM
link   

edit on 18-7-2013 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

We have a larger black incarceration rate NOW than South Africa did under apartheid. Almost 6 times as much!

Hiya Benevolent Heretic.

The above is true about America, but America also has the largest prison populations on the planet for reasons other than race, and at least a portion of Americans understand that poverty dramatically increases crime.

Americans can fly off the handle at times, but frankly I think their own media gives them a bad name across the board. American stupidity is a commodity to be traded and Americans are the main exporter of it. According to the media received in Europe, Americans don't know who their leaders are, can't do multiplication, and have a 1 in 35 chance of forgetting how to breath whilst crossing the road in the morning.

Never mind what your children are watching, can you please stop torturing Europe with your reality shows, and can you ask Jay Leno and other comedians to stop interviewing morons? >.<

Many American people seem very proud, but even the proud ones love make a spectacle of the racists, poorly educated, and ignorant on their own soil.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Pinke

Thanks for pointing that out. It's true and I hadn't even considered it.

I guess my main point is that one metric about who one would accept as their neighbor isn't even close to enough to measure the racism in a particular country.

I honestly don't know "how racist" the US is compared to other countries, nor do I know how that would be measured, but it would have to be much more comprehensive than one question. I see racism (here) and read or hear something about it far too often. And I KNOW we are a bigoted country (compared to my own internal measure)... There are so many divides between people based on gender, political leanings, race, sexual orientation, religion, etc., that it leaves me entirely frustrated and I wish it were different.

I wish we could just Coexist.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Willtell

Surely there have been horrific deeds done in the name of bigotry...

That's undeniable.

However... You neglect to mention the many deeds done that fosters the end to bigotry. I'm not going to enumerate them for you, you are capable of finding them for yourself...though I think you'll discover that many go unreported.

The U.S. has a dark history, along with many another country, where bigotry/racism is concerned. However, in comparison to what it once was? Night and day different.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by OpenEars123

Interesting post. I've noticed there tends to be more racism where multiple cultures and ethnicities live side-by-side. Areas where there are almost only blacks or only whites or only asians, etc. tend to be less racist. My suspicion is that if you don't have others around, you`ll have to project your emotional issues on something other than "other races".

Another thing is that sometimes widely different cultures have not grown together organically or naturally but have been "forced upon each other" so to speak. So when peaceful villagers in the middle of nowhere suddenly get several plane-loads of foreign refugees into their tiny town, conflicts of interest are bound to arise.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   

The cast system can not be directly compared to racial discrimination (racism) but social segregation that for most parts have no race bases at all (even if some ethnic queues can point to the cast, it is very imprecise, hence the use of a color mark system).

There is no doubt in my mind that that racial ideology is linked with protestantism. From Germany to Australia the evidences are many, it may not be about religion but the worth and merit system mentality it creates.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
prejudice or bigotry based on skin color is foolish and illogical.

I want to know if my neighbor is going to let the dog defecate on my lawn or if their kids are going to race up and down the street blasting music.

I know there is some correlation, but not much. I get more information from their clothing and how they speak. Don't get me wrong, I will form my own opinion and it's probably biased-- I just don't dwell that long on skin color.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

Okie.. let me break down your OP.

Caste system is racism within India, it does not apply to outsiders. Second, maybe you are getting you info about Caste from 50 yrs old reference, go to talk to any kid that is about 25yrs and below... they probably won't know anything, just like how religion is decreasing in youth in western world.

You being white, "aka American" they assume you are rich, even if a rich black guy goes to India he would not been seen as rich? is that racism or what the British instilled in their head about what a white skin is about during the 500 yrs old colonialism?

I bet the servers were just scared of black people lol... probably only "black" people know is from movies and are portrayed as gang and violent individual.

Same with Asian culture, example China, they are Xenophobic not racist, big difference, very big one. They don;t hate you because you are Skin A or skin B, they hate you because you are an outsider and "possibly dangerous".. different culture. Also, many people assume when Asians yell because they are mad, face impressions look like they hate you as well, but in reality they might be saying something else....

Man, you keep on generalizing. its only 3 Billion people no harm done, heh.

Soruce: Also been to India, Malaysia, Singapore, Japan, South Korea, Germany, Sri Lanka, Hong kong... and the US, and yup never heard anyone driving past yelling a racial slur like the US does.
edit on 7/17/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Someone had to say it.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
good joke ... seen and experienced firsthand the racism that exists in the u.s ..

its just more veiled than in other parts of the world ..

Mhh

Pretty sure you're very confused and have a very poor understanding of what you're actually talking about

Have you even considered these facts,

1, Western countries are the most multicultural in the world and still have lower racism levels than the likes of the Middle East, Russia, India, China, or any other part of the world which are considered 95% - 100% native in most cases, where as most western countries are 70% - 80% native nationals, so really who is more tolerant to race religion or color ?

2, your experience is based on you and you alone being a single case this of course being if you are at all telling the truth

i think the facts are there to disprove any of these BS claims its pure fantasy

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join