It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My first serious almost completed song (House / Electronic) Please give opinion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Hi ATS, I'm 24, started about a year ago to play with Abletpn Live to try to make my own music... I listened to hundreds or tutorials on youtube but I never was able to complete a song / due to lack of time / knowledge of how to properly use the software... I bought a midi controller and for the past week I've been working on something I think is starting to sound interesting. It is electronic music, house to be more precise.

It's unfinished, unmastered, lacking a proper intro / end, but it is the first song I make that I'm impressed with myself! No one has listened to this yet except my brother and I'd like some opinions on what I did if you're into this kind of music...

I don't play any instruments but slowly learning piano and music theory please be nice !!

It starts to get interesting at 1:30 and it's 6 min long... It's a new hobby for me and creating something feels rather good.

Here it is, it has no title yet: download link
zippyshare download link
edit on 14-7-2013 by MrMaybeNot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   
upload it to a better host site, I seem to have to sign in to download this. Chances are so will most other people, chances are nobody will download it!

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Idonthaveabeard

i fixed the link it was not shared properly, should work now
heres a zippyshare link just in case

download

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
heres a screenshot of part of my ableton project

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   
The beat started good but it seems like it lingered too long without a proper transition to another idea. It had me mesmerized through some of it so that's a good sign. I love this type of music so keep up the good work!
edit on 14-7-2013 by kingsac because: missed 'out' in without

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   
What musical instruments did you use?

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by RothchildRancor

all digital drum racks in ableton / bass and lead is a vst plugin called massive from native instrument which I created my sounds with / free samples off the internet for the transition fx

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by kingsac

I know, its missing stuff from start to 1:30 and I need to work a couple more hours on it, but thanks for giving me some of your time!!

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by MrMaybeNot

Thanks for creating this and I hope I hear more in the future!

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
This song has good progression and clean sound.You are fortunate to have worked to get a grip on Ableton. It is such fun and rewarding to create a song, and Ableton's abilities to shape sound seem limitless. I know you are stoked.

I think it is very cool that you posted a pic of your Live set. Before I started using Ableton 14 months ago, I could not conceive of how electronic music production is done with a computer, what a DAW even looked like!
Nice job.

edit on 14-7-2013 by ecapsretuo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ecapsretuo

I am stoked, I can spend hours stitched to Ableton and the better I am with it, the more I realise the possibilities are endless. It's like having a whole studio on your laptop. The only issue is the huge amount of time it takes me to bring projects to completion.... Also there's so many producers nowadays and competition is so high that making a living out of it means to give up on things like sleeping

I'd love to hear any work you've done with it

I've been a big fan of music all my life and listening to an interview of one guy I'm a big fan of (GRIZ) he mentionned that he wasn't born with any special skills and the only reason he's good at what he does is time and practice. So to me this is proof that we really can accomplish anything if we really want it. Great artists are not gods. They're people like you and me who practiced, learned, and practiced again and again. Where the industry would like you to believe that they came in this world with a special talent.

I don't have alot of money, so being able to create things like this in my own place on my laptop with nothing else than a 25 key midi keyboard and a laptop is very rewarding. We're all born with the ability to appreciate and admire beautiful things, which means we're all born with the ability to create beautiful things.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrMaybeNot
reply to post by RothchildRancor

all digital drum racks in ableton / bass and lead is a vst plugin called massive from native instrument which I created my sounds with / free samples off the internet for the transition fx

That is amazing! I thought you did it all on the computer.

I could certainly see myself bumping to this!
And that's coming from someone who listens primarily to metal.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Here's the final version on soundcloud

soundcloud.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:50 AM
link   

reply to post by kingsac

I know, its missing stuff from start to 1:30 and I need to work a couple more hours on it, but thanks for giving me some of your time!!

What I tend to do is have a track that I like the structure of and put it on a muted track, but see where the breaks, transitions and fx are used. It's just helpful to have something to compare too. Your not copying the track but taking hints from the structure.

I haven't checked your tune. Any chance you can load it to soundcloud?

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Here's the final version on soundcloud

soundcloud.com...

The beat is a little too straight in my opinion. It could do with some swing or groove. Keep the kick quantised, but maybe have the snare, either slightly forward or back off the quantise line. Or you could just use the groove pool in Ableton. Have a mess around with some of the 16ths grooves. It can just bring the drums to life a bit.

Apart from that you've got some nice sounds in there. It's also an achievement to get a whole track finished. Just keep banging away at it , keep making and finishing tracks.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I like it!

Been messing around here and there with FL Studios myself, but seriously considering getting Ableton. Am open to any advice on DAW's btw. Sort of thought about Pro-Tools as well but not sure if it's necessary at this point as I'm a full on beginner.

Anyways, sounds good to me. Definitely not bad at all.

Peace. ~
edit on 15-7-2013 by Runciter33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Runciter33

Ableton is the most versatile and in my experience easiest to learn. You can get things going, quie easily without too much production knowledge. Plus there's loads of free youtube guides that are really helpfull.

Check dubspot and pointblank for very professional tutorials on YouTube.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Thanks for the input. I probably will end up getting Albeton, it can be downloaded digitally from what I've gathered so that may be the clincher for me to buy it.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Runciter33

Yeah it's just upgraded to ableton Live 9. Has some great new features. I've used Reason, Cubase, logic and while they all have their pros and cons, I find ableton has it all. Your only limited by your imagination.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Runciter33
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Thanks for the input. I probably will end up getting Albeton, it can be downloaded digitally from what I've gathered so that may be the clincher for me to buy it.

You can download a free 30 days demo from their website. Also available as torrent if that's more like you

top topics

<<   2 >>

join