It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: FBI: 132 police officers killed in 2003

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Yesterday, the FBI reported that 8 more police officers were killed in the line of duty than in 2003; 132 officers! Of the 132, 45 were killed by firearms, while thirty-one of those wore body armor. The FBI estimated that one police officer in 2.8 days loses his/her life, nationally.

CNN.com
In all cases, the average age of the officer killed was about 37 and average level of police experience 10 years. The totals translate into one officer death every 2.8 days nationally, the FBI estimated.

Authorities solved all the cases in 2003 of officers who were shot to death or otherwise intentionally killed. Thirty-eight suspects were arrested, 14 were killed by police and six committed suicide, according to the FBI.

About half of the officers killed intentionally were making traffic stops or arrests. Ten were slain while investigating disturbance calls, and nine were ambushed.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I was shocked when I read this, I did not know so many cops lose their life in the US. One death in 2.8 days.

[edit on 11-9-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Im a guy in the uk, and while I think that the type of Gun legislation in the USA from state to state is partly to blame for this, its not the guns or knives or weapons that kill people, it the people using them. While this is shocking to hear about so many deaths in law enforcement in the USA, i cant honestly say it suprises me. Have you compared these stats to other westen countries? And take the size of the USA into account, there may be millions of good people there, but that also means you get a lot of bad people in the mix too. Its also worrying as gun crime here in London has reached fever pitch, with many air ambulances being restricted by no fly zones because of random loonies taking pot shots with rifles, handguns and crossbows.....I have friends in the proffesion and they will no longer fly because of this.....More guns means the people who are likely to kill anyone, suddenly have an easy and quick way to do it as many times as they can reload. Scary stuff my friend.

new topics

join