It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why didn't God smite Adam & Eve?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Because it is an allegorical story intended to explain why men went from an ideal hunting and gathering life to one of agriculture. Once you figure out how to raise livestock and grow your produce, you can't go back to just wandering the countryside eating everything else's scraps.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by sulaw

Originally posted by fiftyfifty
If God were to exist, then who's to say he created them really? Maybe he adopted them. Gods may have traded creatures from around the universe like marbles and set them up in their own terrariums. The Christian God acquired Adam and Eve and set up his terrarium; Earth.
edit on 9-7-2013 by fiftyfifty because: (no reason given)

O...M...G...
(sarcasm) If God "were" to exist..... This is poposterous... The bible is the direct word of god and should not be interpereted any other way.... :
ulls out wooden ruler:: Take thou lashings for speaking Heresey~ (/end sarcasm)

Honestly I think you and Slayer hit it on the head... Good postulations...

You're sarcasm almost made me fill my pants with poop!

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by occrest

"and he was the first to be buried in the earth..." Cain (his son) was not buried??? Did the bible say wht type of burial was used in his case...just asking re the validity of that statement or another bible story error (I have lost count..).

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by toktaylor
reply to post by occrest

"and he was the first to be buried in the earth..." Cain (his son) was not buried??? Did the bible say wht type of burial was used in his case...just asking re the validity of that statement or another bible story error (I have lost count..).

*Abel

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Satan raised a universal challenge with regard to Gods Sovereignty, or rather His right to rule. Had God simply destroyed Adam & Eve along with Satan, the challenge would not have been answered. In His wisdom He allowed Satan and rebellious mankind to prove their claim and gave them plenty of time to do so.
By allowing them to live and produce offspring it paved the way for His purpose for the earth to be fulfilled and for His name to be sanctified and His sovereignty to be vindicated.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by windsorblue
The whole 'don't eat from the tree of knowledge' thing also bugged me, if Adam and Eve did not have any idea of right from wrong before they ate of the fruit, they would have not comprehended before hand that this was the wrong thing to do. It would not matter if God told them not to because they would not understand the concept. It also raises the question (in my own opinion) that if everyone else after Adam and Eve retained the forbidden knowledge then are we not all different to what God originally intended mankind to be?
edit on 9-7-2013 by windsorblue because: (no reason given)

What makes you think that they didn't have any idea of right and wrong? They were created perfect and had the ability to reason on why God gave them that command. The very fact that the one who created them and brought everything into existence restricted them from touching the Tree should have been reason enough for them to show their loyalty and obey his simple command.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
My question has always been more basic and preliminary.

Genesis

8 And they heard the voice of Jehovah God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of Jehovah God amongst the trees of the garden.

9 And Jehovah God called unto the man, and said unto him, Where art thou?

How does one hide from God? How does God not know where they are? Why does God have to ask where they are?

Peace.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Maybe because God doesn't and never has existed?

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by windsorblue

Q) Why didn’t God smite Adam and Eve for eating the forbidden fruit? In the Old Testament God is not too shy in smiting and a slaying all those who have offended him. Would it have not been a better idea to restart from the beginning with the destruction of these two, create a new couple who would adhere to his rules and negate humanity being cast out of Eden?

Because they were his children. That was the Son of God who made them. It was a testament of his immense love that he chose to inact his salvation plan to save them. He already knew they would fall, he saw that coming before creation began and he made plans for it even back then. But once they took the forbidden knowledge, he saw to it to become their teacher. These were his first son and daughter. The greater goal is to save the human race.

It was never about slaying people who offended him, it was about teaching the human race as a whole by using evil people as an example. You're not going to make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by windsorblue

For me predetermination seems to be a massive paradox, you are destined to sin and there is nothing you can do change that, but for that sin you shall be punished for eternity.

Our individual state is not pre-determined. Knowing what would come does not include making it happen. Rather he made plans on how to fix the problem after it happened. We are not destined to sin, what we inherited from Adam is a nature to sin, meaning that we are more than capable of sinning (doing wrong) and many might even enjoy it. If there was nothing we can do to change that, then Jesus Christ's self sacrifice was a pointless waste of time, since he came to die for our wrong doings and take the sin of us all upon himself. If you get punished for eternity, then that is your failure for not accepting the way out God himself provided in being Jesus Christ. You have to make our own choice, you have to make up your own mind.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I would like to thank everyone for replying to the question posed, you have given a lot of information to digest and consider, I thank you for your time and wish you well on what ever path you have chosen in life. Thank you.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

You listed some very real problems with many churches. In a lot of cases, Christians are as turned off by this as the unsaved. My dad was one of those. All the political infighting got to be too much, and he stopped attending. As believers, we have to remember that we ALL sin, at one time or another, and try to be more understanding of others that do. For non-believers, that's more difficult, because they hear messages about behavior, then see the behavior from Christians, even church leaders.

For all that, to those looking in with confusion, please remember, we Christians aren't perfect; we are simply forgiven. For the Christians, we need to hold each other accountable, and not make excuses for our own sins.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

Of course we all sin. I do not hold a person's sin against them, any more than I would want God to hold my sins against me. I sincerely hope all of those churches can get back on the right path, but until they do, I cannot worship there as I would like to. That's why I have my mountain. I can get closer to creation there, and thus closer to the Creator.

We each have a path to walk in this life. We each have a purpose that was designed specifically for us. The preachers in their pulpits, the Amen pew, the deacons, the regular attendees... all have a purpose. They minister to those who walk through the doors.

My purpose is different. I need no building to fulfill my role; my roles is to walk the dirty streets looking for those who need. I am the one who rubs shoulders with the bulk of humanity, holding a door open for them should they ever decide to walk through it. I am a light in the wilderness to those who cannot see, not by my words, but by my actions. I am a lifeline to those who are drowning. No one has to enter a building with me; all they must do is ask. If they ask for a need in their life, I try to fill it. If they ask for guidance, I point them in the right direction. If they ask for answers, I respond with what I know and help us both to discover what I don't.

But they do have to ask.

(Those who know Jesus will understand the above post... those who do not may not understand.)

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck

Of course we all sin. I do not hold a person's sin against them, any more than I would want God to hold my sins against me. I sincerely hope all of those churches can get back on the right path, but until they do, I cannot worship there as I would like to. That's why I have my mountain. I can get closer to creation there, and thus closer to the Creator.

Oh, never figured you did! I meant people in general, not you specifically on that one. If you don't have a good church, better to worship as you will, than be influenced by people off track. We didn't attend for a good while, till we found a place that was good.

We each have a path to walk in this life. We each have a purpose that was designed specifically for us. The preachers in their pulpits, the Amen pew, the deacons, the regular attendees... all have a purpose. They minister to those who walk through the doors.

My purpose is different. I need no building to fulfill my role; my roles is to walk the dirty streets looking for those who need. I am the one who rubs shoulders with the bulk of humanity, holding a door open for them should they ever decide to walk through it. I am a light in the wilderness to those who cannot see, not by my words, but by my actions. I am a lifeline to those who are drowning. No one has to enter a building with me; all they must do is ask. If they ask for a need in their life, I try to fill it. If they ask for guidance, I point them in the right direction. If they ask for answers, I respond with what I know and help us both to discover what I don't.

You have a VERY important role these days! Many that do attend churches aren't comfortable talking to people outside of them, about faith, salvation, or any of it. Witnessing is best done out among those in need. From all I have read of yours, I am guessing you are pretty good at it!

But they do have to ask.

(Those who know Jesus will understand the above post... those who do not may not understand.)

TheRedneck

I hear that! Reading your posts in other threads, I figured you were one that does know Him, on a personal level. It shows.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   

That's the whole point. There's no need to preach.... the truth shines through actions, not words.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   

That's the whole point. There's no need to preach.... the truth shines through actions, not words.

TheRedneck

For the most part, yes. There is a time to share the truth, though. The trick is to know WHEN to do it. Then, there were Biblical figures that went about speaking truth, under God's direction, that weren't popular, too. For most of us, though, if we pay attention, we can find effective ways to share,that aren't "in your face" methods.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

The one thing that bothers me most about "organized religion" is the fact that the "in your face" approach is quite often the reason people turn away from the religion... as well as one major reason people have mistaken concepts about the tenets of the religion as well. I know I was in my 30s before I realized the full meaning of the phrase "God's grace." I would ask about it when I was younger, but I always got a sermon instead of an answer. I have also found out, from talking to those who decided they did want to hear what I had to say on the subject, that it is common for such people to have had religion "shoved down their throats" when they were young.

I made a point not to require my kids to go to church. My daughter turned out to be a very strong Christian, and my son is a believer as well. Instead of telling them about God while they squirmed in a pew all dressed up and uncomfortable, I showed them God by my actions.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

As a child, we went if we wanted to. Sometimes to a church my mom attended, but usually to the one my grandfather did. It was up to us, though. My kids were taken when smaller, and every single one wanted to keep going. Days we might have stayed home, because of too little sleep or something, they actually complained, that they didn't want to miss it. That's the current place. Another place, no one really liked it, and we actually didn't go anywhere for some time. I just never saw the need to make that forced, either. Church is supposed to be about worship, and fellowship, and outreach, but too often, it becomes about church politics.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join