It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police announce huge presence, more cameras for Boston's 4th of July celebration

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Some highlights:

Alben said hundreds more troopers, federal officials, and police officers from local departments will be patrolling the area Wednesday night and all day Thursday.

Alben said there will be “an exponentially larger amount of cameras than ever before"

Authorities have announced that there will be new security checkpoints on the Esplanade and tough new bans that will prohibit visitors from carrying in backpacks, coolers on wheels, cans, glass containers, premixed beverages, liquids greater than 2 liters, or any sharp objects.

[url=http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2013/07/03/police-announce-huge-presence-more-cameras-for-the/CvgHGRVHMnUJFOBRwn2rrJ/story.html]www.boston.com[/u rl]

Ironic really for a celebration of Independence Day. While I definitely can understand the concerns for safety in light of the Boston Marathon Bombings, I still have a bit of an issue digesting the idea of celebrating a national holiday that has been steeped in messages of freedom for the last couple centuries with copious numbers of police officers, surveillance cameras, check points, and bans on from the obvious backpack to...a can of soda or a glass bottle of juice? Kind of eyebrow raising in its curious juxtaposition of messages.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Reveler: "We're here to celebrate our freedom!"

Officer: "Okay, but first you must undergo a safety inspection....(officer snaps on a pair of latex gloves)

Officer: "Right...now bend over, drop your pants, and assume the "freedom position" so you can be inspected.

Reveler: "Ouch!...hey...that's my spleen!"

Officer: "Okay, you're clean, move along."

Reveler: (dazed and confused expression) "I forget why I am here..."

Officer: "You're here to celebrate your freedom....MOVE ALONG NOW!......NEXT"

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Ever since I was a little kid I didnt quit understand how one could celebrate Indepedence Day with the government.

Government sponsored celebration of independence? Makes no sense.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Bah, teach me to post and run...didn't note the link failure there. Kind of feels like that moment when you realize that your tag is sticking out on your shirt after walking around all day, lol: www.boston.com...

Well, Independence Day was basically the day that we declared our independence from the UK and monarchy. So, as odd as it seems, it's when we chose to be independent from the UK and that's what makes it independence day. Still, that, in itself, is kind of an odd mix, too? And yet, we do it every year regardless. Whereas the cities will all throw 4th of July celebrations, it's always been more about people getting together to have a nice day, a bbq, and watch some fireworks (either city bought or neighbors lol). My neighborhood chooses to do their own thing via a block party and have only gone to city held celebrations a few times in my life. Definitely don't plan on going to the Boston one--that's for sure!

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Spotted this earlier today and have been so far unable to validate its source. Take it as you will but this picture deeply saddens me:

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I was born in Los Angeles county and while growing up the Angelinos were not allowed to have or purchase personal fireworks to celebrate our Independence day on the 4th. No local fireworks shops were set up for consumers.

So....Months previously we'd simply go down to China town were the local Chinese/Americans were able to celebrate their 'Chinese New Years' tradition and stock up on firecrackers....

If there's a will there's a way

edit on 4-7-2013 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
The Boston citizens should tell the Boston government to take their independence day and shove it where the sun doesn't shine.

Independence day is nothing but a mockery to freedom and liberties lost.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
The Boston citizens should tell the Boston government to take their independence day and shove it where the sun doesn't shine.

Independence day is nothing but a mockery to freedom and liberties lost.

Why should they? they love the police after the supposed attack remember the chants?

new topics

top topics

join