It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question for all you techies out there

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by SLO7H

laptop is working fine once i put the original memory back in. should hae removed the battery first and grounded myself before fitting the new ones but you learn something new every day.
when i fitted the new memory, only thing that came on was the power light and nothing else....

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

Yes, remember to take the battery out first. Don't touch the memory chips on the RAM sticks directly, only handle them from the sides. If you do have to touch the chips directly, make sure you're grounded to some other metal first.

It would also be a good idea to reset the BIOS (CMOS) after you install your memory, but before you put everything together and turn it on. You can do that by finding a battery that looks like a watch battery:

(image is only an example and not of your laptop)

That battery will be under one of the covers on the bottom of your laptop. Take it out for about 60-seconds. Make sure the other bigger battery is out, and power unplugged when you do this. After 60-seconds, put that watch battery back in, put everything together. And you should be good to go.

If you need any more help, feel free to PM me directly.

edit on 1-7-2013 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I got this in an email from them today's:

Thanks for your reply. I am very sorry but these parts have now been de-activated against this system as they are a specific high density part and your system requires a 16 chip low density part.

I have set up an RMA number to exchange your parts under warranty and the return details with RMA number are below.

So I will be returning them and hopefully they will send the correct memory back to me. I will of course take more care when fitting them this time....

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I have 8 gigs of ram on my desktop and I hardly ever see it going over 2gig. Sometimes if I am multitasking real hard or gaming it then it will go up to like 3-4. Usually it sits at around 6400 free. That much in your older system is probably overkill beyond 4gigs. Yes today's apps and games are ram hogs, but upgrading ram doesn't always increase performance. There is a tradeoff. If you need it then it helps, but increasing ram slows the overall ram timings. If you don't have a dedicated video card then more ram might help. There is a difference between having a on-board video card that uses it's own ram and having 4 g's of system ram running at 2-2-2-2 and having 8g's of ram running at 9-9-9-32. Sometimes for better performance it makes more sense to go less ram but better performance ram that has tight timings and has some overclocking headroom.

Oh and as far as handling ram or any other device. Yes you need to take precautions especially getting ram in a package after ripping it open handling foam stuffing, bubble wrap etc. there's a good chance you're going to be statically charged. Touching the cold water copper inlet side of your hot water tank will release it if any. Just ground yourself out on something a sink, a fridge, car door handle.
edit on 4-7-2013 by sean because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   
new memory arrived today and i followed advice of you guys ans its working perfectly and shows up as 4gb in each slot. that and my new 1tb hard drive i fitted makes it go really better than ever.
thanks for all the info......

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join