It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Africa Will Starve and Asia Will Drown in 30 Years Due to Climate Change

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Everyone should read this article. This is easy to see coming down the pike, yet many people want to ignore it out of laziness or selfishness. Even western countries are being effected by climate change, so it will effect everyone.

www.takepart.com...

Africa Will Starve and Asia Will Drown in 30 Years Due to Climate Change

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Hmmm... They've kinda failed with a near 100% ratio for predictions up to this point. Why would predictions now be more reliable? They seem to be missing something.

Just since Jan. 1, 2013, ABC, CBS and NBC morning and evening news programs have aired 92 stories about “climate change” or “global warming.” Not a single one of those stories mentioned the “warming plateau” reported even by The New York Times on June 10. The Times wrote, “The rise in the surface temperature of earth has been markedly slower over the last 15 years than in the 20 years before that. And that lull in warming has occurred even as greenhouse gases have accumulated in the atmosphere at a record pace.”

The problems with climate forecasting models weren’t mentioned either, even though a researcher at Sweden's University of Gothenburg found that many climate models couldn’t correctly model known temperatures in China. Investor’s Business Daily reported on March 28 that “Only half of the 21 analyzed climate models were able to reproduce the changes in some regions of China," he said. "Few models can well reproduce the nationwide change."

(Source Story: Networks Fail to Mention ‘Lull’ in Warming in All 92 Climate Change Stories

They really need to explain why the previous fortune telling could be SO far off and wrong...before I'll even buy into looking hard at new sets of data which are, necessarily, based on those old ones. People ask why we skeptics "don't get it"? This is why. There isn't anything even they can agree on to "get" precisely.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I'm not discrediting them, I mean it is the world bank forcasting this... Obama has been on the Climate change wagon as well... Not like they're trying to scare the masses... They don't offer a solution either? So we are all going to die?

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Lots of areas of the planet have been flooded, some turned into deserts, others frozen because of climate change. It's been changing since it started.
It's what the climate does.
And there is nothing anyone can do about it.

But you can rest easy.
The worst of the crisis can be averted thanks to technology.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Poor predictive value does not speak well of a hypothesis. Also factor in "climate gate" and a host of other problems with this hypothesis as reasons people are climate change deniers. My background is molecular biology, not meteorology or geology, yet I'm scientifically literate (I think) and the evidence for man-made global warming is less than convincing (to me). I won't deny climate change is happening, just the cause. In undergrad, the professors were careful to state the relationship between greenhouse gas emissions and climate change was one of correlation, not causation. The concentrations of water vapor in the atmosphere is greater than that of CO2 and is ten-times more potent to boot. Again, this isn't my content area and folks will be quick to correct me. But, even if it is a greenhouse thing, what are we to do? Reduce emissions? Good luck on that. Changing the behavior of millions, if not billions, won't happen in time to be of effect. On the flip side, if global climate change is due to the Earth's precession (or even partially due to it), what is to be done? Nothing can be done in that case. Perhaps I'm cynical, but I see nothing productive ever coming about to combat this problem...and people will suffer, which is a damned shame.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
There is significant overlap between those who fear a changing globe and those who fear overpopulation.

So I often wonder: what's the problem?

Too many people being irresponsible for too long and Asia floods.

A lot fewer people to be irresponsible.

Nature is self correcting. Let it do its job.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Absolute arrogance. The climate change crowd bases its argument on the fact that humans play a hand in climate change; that we are able to fundamentally change the composition of our planet to destroy it. We like to believe that we created this problem... makes us feel like a powerful race. But we aren't that powerful; we affect this planet a hell of a lot less than we like to think we do.

If this planet is going through a warming phase, it is more likely than not a natural process that we have no control over whatsoever... and that is what science refuses to grasp, because it is beyond their control.

We like to pretend that we can change or control this planet to suit our needs. Maybe, we have to change and control our needs to suit this planet...
edit on 26-6-2013 by madmac5150 because: Pulled over by the comma police...

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Several scientists are blaming weather whiplash — both high and low extremes — on a jet stream that's not quite playing by its old rules. It's a relatively new phenomenon that experts are still trying to understand.

"I've been doing meteorology for 30 years, and the jet stream the last three years has done stuff I've never seen," said Jeff Masters, meteorology director at the private service Weather Underground. "The fact that the jet stream is unusual could be an indicator of something. I'm not saying we know what it is."

Link

Seems meteorologists are seeing are seeing strange things happening

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

sounds like a declaration of war

i doubt asia [china and japan] are just going to twiddle their thumbs
and let western geo-engineering/weather war efforts *COUGHING* I mean AGW/CC kill them off

weather is a funny thing.
as shown by the backlash that's been hitting the US & EU, weather wise

and the USAF and US-MIC have made serious and intractable enemies of the Elementals
especially Sylphs, who can [and have] shut down/deactivate nuclear weapons and facilities
[some call them UFOs or Orbs, in asia they're called dragons when visible in the sky ]
with ease

so ultimately, this is just chest pounding, the result of fantasist drooling over all the resources and empty real estate THEY think they're going take.
note the very "Sane" need to let everyone in on their plans, but in a fashion that allows them deniability.

[no wonder the geo-engineering forum is full of 'bots and shills
]

edit on 26-6-2013 by TheMagus because: added edit & comment

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by madmac5150
Absolute arrogance. The climate change crowd bases its argument on the fact that humans play a hand in climate change; that we are able to fundamentally change the composition of our planet to destroy it. We like to believe that we created this problem... makes us feel like a powerful race. But we aren't that powerful; we affect this planet a hell of a lot less than we like to think we do.

If this planet is going through a warming phase, it is more likely than not a natural process that we have no control over whatsoever... and that is what science refuses to grasp, because it is beyond their control.

We like to pretend that we can change or control this planet to suit our needs. Maybe, we have to change and control our needs to suit this planet...
edit on 26-6-2013 by madmac5150 because: Pulled over by the comma police...

You makes some good points, and I agree with much of what you say. I would disagree, though not totally, with this being a control issue. The Earth is, obviously, a complex, dynamic place. It has changed in the past, is changing now and will change in the future. I think science struggles because what is driving climate change is likely multi-causal. Experimental scientists like the nice one-to-one relationship with cause and effect, and well...this isn't a nice tidy situation.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinker9917

Several scientists are blaming weather whiplash — both high and low extremes — on a jet stream that's not quite playing by its old rules. It's a relatively new phenomenon that experts are still trying to understand.

"I've been doing meteorology for 30 years, and the jet stream the last three years has done stuff I've never seen," said Jeff Masters, meteorology director at the private service Weather Underground. "The fact that the jet stream is unusual could be an indicator of something. I'm not saying we know what it is."

Link

Seems meteorologists are seeing are seeing strange things happening

I find it funny when earth things are referred to as "new phenomenon".

Given the age of the planet 30 years of observation is nothing. Even ten thousand years of records is hardly anything.

New? Seems more like "new to you" sort of new.

People like to act as if time only began a few weeks before they were born and seem to think time will stop within a century of their lifespans.

For all we know the day to day constants we take for granted as having always been and always will be are just small periods of a greater cycle or a period of anomalies over the span of millions of years of a greater constant that we in our small window of experience will never get to see let alone understand as being the "norm."

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Careful Wrabbit... when you point out the obvious fundamental flaw in the Global Warming Theory, it usually switches tracks to, "So you don't believe we are poisoning the Earth?"

While I do believe we are hurting the planet in more ways than one, that isn't what starts the discussion. All I ask is for people to stay on topic and not switch to side topics until we are done with the first.

Sorry for that bit of rant, but every time I or someone else shows the flaws of this theory, others with opposing views never admit your right or at least have a valid point. Instead they call us flat earthers and assume we don't think we are doing harm to the planet.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by FatherStacks

You know the maddening thing here? I read your post. Twice, in fact. Just to be sure I hadn't missed anything and I'm confident I didn't. What I got from it was that you think it's possible, whether likely or not, and it should be part of the overall considerations. Would that be fair to say?

If *THAT* were how the "consensus of science" (except for the rest who don't agree) were to present it? I'd have a whole different attitude. Present the possibility that we're doing it or could be a contributing factor? Well, somewhere in there probably does lay the truth of the matter and it's insane not to consider and look at.

The problem always comes in the "all or nothing" approach and to the exclusion of other action, it seems. It *IS* man made or we're too dumb to get it. It *IS* happening, despite climate evidence showing no such thing for years now in what has been a stalled pattern vs. predictions. They basically say we shouldn't believe our lying eyes and ears ....then call us stupid for not seeing it their way.

Crazy, huh?
edit on 26-6-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

This quote from the OP's article, if correct, is downright frightning.

By the 2030s, doughts and heat will render 40 percent of current maize-growing land unusable. By the 2050s, depending on where you are on the continent, the proportion of the population that is undernourished will increase by 25 to 90 percent.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by FatherStacks

You know the maddening thing here? I read your post. Twice, in fact. Just to be sure I hadn't missed anything and I've confident I didn't. What I got from it was that you think it's possible, whether likely or not, and it should be part of the overall considerations. Would that be fair to say?

If *THAT* were how the "consensus of science" (except for the rest who don't agree) were to present it? I'd have a whole different attitude. Present the possibility that we're doing it or could be a contributing factor? Well, somewhere in there probably does lay the truth of the matter and it's insane not to consider and look at.

The problem always comes in the "all or nothing" approach and to the exclusion of other action, it seems. It *IS* man made or we're too dumb to get it. It *IS* happening, despite climate evidence showing no such thing for years now in what has been a stalled pattern vs. predictions. They basically say we shouldn't believe our lying eyes and ears ....then call us stupid for not seeing it their way.

Crazy, huh?
edit on 26-6-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

Edit:
Climate change is possibly happening, I won't deny that part of it. I won't 100% confirm it either, because my experience of 33 years living on this rock is a drop in the bucket compare to how long Earth has existed. The science around it is shaky, and there are many who stand to gain from promoting climate-change scare and the "green-lifestyle." But I think this is a more complex problem with many contributing factors, not just one. Factors including politics, economics, power etc. You're absolutely right, the all-or-nothing approach is misguided and useless.Like others have said, we perhaps should work on minimizing pollution (which most people would find reasonable) and learn to live within the changing environment.

edit on 26-6-2013 by FatherStacks because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-6-2013 by FatherStacks because: clarity

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
There are many reasons Africa is starving...colonialism, inner-political conflict, misuse of resources, welfare-dependency...but Climate Change is not one of them...or at least not nearly the most prominent one.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

hey really need to explain why the previous fortune telling could be SO far off and wrong

Actually, they've been very accurate as far as predicting that there will be more flooding and damaging storms, drought, animal migrations, plants changing their life cycles, etc.

Climate change is basically proven and accepted by almost all scientists. It's just capitalist and religious extremists who don't accept it.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Well, if they've been very accurate in anything we can look at and examine and debate for methods used and results achieved, there should be no problem linking to some of the data and studies where we can sink our teeth into the topic and get to the heart of things, right?

Calling people Capitalists like it's a slur or religious extremists is how to insure fight never gets to debate ....and as I keep saying? We're in a 50% divided nation with politics and world view. One side doesn't get it's way without the other side at least being okay with it. Either side. Any issue. Such is life...so selling the case is necessary. Forcing the case is a fail right out the gate. Much of this argument hasn't sold anything but trying to convince me I'm just plain stupid if I don't get "facts" as one side presents it...and ignore the men with letters after their names on the other side saying the opposite.

Both sides, strictly speaking, are wrong. At least to their extremes of position, they are. Entirely Wrong.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
There are many reasons Africa is starving...colonialism, inner-political conflict, misuse of resources, welfare-dependency...but Climate Change is not one of them...or at least not nearly the most prominent one.

Said it better than I could.

@OP

There is NO food shortage is the world. There is a food WASTE problem. Those are significantly different things.

Asia drowning, well, all the coastal places on earth are going to flood eventually cause we are idiots and build cities in the most destructive environments or locations on the planet. That's not climate change's fault, that's bad city planning.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by CB328

hey really need to explain why the previous fortune telling could be SO far off and wrong

Actually, they've been very accurate as far as predicting that there will be more flooding and damaging storms, drought, animal migrations, plants changing their life cycles, etc.

Climate change is basically proven and accepted by almost all scientists. It's just capitalist and religious extremists who don't accept it.

Lol....are you serious? None of that is or has been happening.

The weather is not worse now than it has been in the past, the worst hurricanes ever recorded, were before I was born in 78. There have not been great animal species migrations, sure when it is warmer animals will range outside their "normal" areas, but when it is warm during the winter the birds don't go as far south, when it is colder than normal, they go farther, nothing mysterious about any of that, they lack technology to stabilize their living conditions, so they adapt to their environment instead.

It has been stated by the same scientists your trying to stand on the shoulders of, that increased temps will not cause more severe weather patterns, that is somthing the MSM likes to use for sensationalist headlines, "SEE, PROOF OF GLOBAL WARMING, IT WASN'T AS COLD AS NORMAL FOR A WEEK THIS WINTER, AND THERE WAS A TORNADO THAT DIDN'T APPEAR EXACTLY IN THE TIME FRAME WE SAID IT SHOULD!!!!!l

It is all BS, and you know it, at least try to be objective.

They have been predicting crap since I was a kid, none of it has come to pass, and I am 35 now, one in the late 90s said that the temps would rise by several degrees by 2015, we are almost there, and not even a full degree of rise before the plane levelled out, and has remaned steady for over a decade, despite Co2 emmissions increasing by factors.

Nothing they said has happened, nothing they say will happen, they are posers, they won't release their source codes for their models, because we will find out it is so rigged it is worse than a back alley slot machine.

Just a small quote from one of your "leading" climate "experts" for context on the subject..."hide the decline!!"- James Hansen. East Anglia University

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join