It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you part of The Stampede?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Someone just told me about this today. Apparently it was started by Ben Cohen of Ben & Jerrys ice cream. I couldnt find anything about it on ATS search so i thought id post it to see what everyone thinks.

It's time for everyday
Americans to have a voice!

The Stampede is tens of thousands of Americans legally stamping messages on our Nation’s currency to #GetMoneyOut of Politics. As more and more stamped money spreads, so will the movement to amend the Constitution.

We're over 25% of the way to an amendment.
states have voted for it. 150 Members of Congress support it.

stampstampede.org

On average, dollar bills stay in circulation for five years and pass through approximately 1,750 hands.[3] As Ben Cohen told Wired: "It's a really effective way of breaking through the clutter and interacting with people...I see it as a really cost-effective form of guerrilla marketing."[2] The campaign concluded that every dollar bill is seen by an average of 875 people, meaning that if 100 people stamped ten dollars a day for a year, the messages would reach over 300 million people.[1] Ben Cohen describes it as a "petition on steroids".[5] The campaign drew inspiration from Where's George? which has marked and tracked over 215 million dollars since 1998.

Source Wiki

It seems like a pretty decent idea, i wonder if anything will ever come of it?

edit on 24-6-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
As soon as any 'stamped' bill hits a bank, it will be taken out of circulation.

its a neat idea, but totally pointless.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Yes, these people are costing the taxpayers money. They have to make a new bill to replace that one.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse

Yes, these people are costing the taxpayers money. They have to make a new bill to replace that one.
Yup.

An idea like this has to be implemented on a medium that isnt controlled like money is, for it to work.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

But in the big scheme of things that the tax payers have to pay billions for ,military , government, DHS etc is a few bits of paper really going to break the bank? Maybe having to replace the bills and the tiny extra cost associated with it might get the message reported on a bit faster.

What does it cost to print a dollar 9c?

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

It will just piss off those producing the money and there will be laws enforced that are already on the books about defacing money.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   

It will just piss off those producing the money and there will be laws enforced that are already on the books about defacing money.

Will be pretty impossible to trace who printed each note. Sometimes you have to piss a few people off to get the message across. Its painfully clear that sitting around and doing nothing isnt going to make the situation any better in America.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD

Will be pretty impossible to trace who printed each note. Sometimes you have to piss a few people off to get the message across. Its painfully clear that sitting around and doing nothing isnt going to make the situation any better in America.

You can stamp it on every bill you get. That bill will be out of circulation within weeks.

Again, its a cool idea, but an EXTREMELY inefficient method of communication.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Of course that depends on how quickly they get banked. Ill bet that dollar bills get passed around as change more than they get deposited in a bank. People are much more likely to bank higher denominations.

It may be not the most efficient way to get a message across but at least people are trying. I think the novelty factor alone will get them reported on which spreads the message beyond the original media the message was written on.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Of course that depends on how quickly they get banked. Ill bet that dollar bills get passed around as change more than they get deposited in a bank. People are much more likely to bank higher denominations.

It may be not the most efficient way to get a message across but at least people are trying. I think the novelty factor alone will get them reported on which spreads the message beyond the original media the message was written on.

Thats simply not true. Marked bills rarely last in circulation more than a few weeks, most only a couple of days.

Also, this is not a new idea. People have done this before. You know why it didnt work? Because marked bills are taken out of circulation.

What you'll really get, if people do have any success with this(which i doubt), is laws passed that make any marked bills worthless, meaning retailers and banks wont accept them.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

At the site they say

Every dollar you stamp will reach 875 people, if you stamp 5 dollars a day for a year, that's over a million. Together, we can create a stampede that Congress can't ignore

Even if it was less than that i think that's still worth it to raise awareness

Pessimism and apathy never get anything changed.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   

It's a double edged sword. How long before Google, Facebook, Amazon etc 'Sponsor' the dollar?

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

At the site they say

Every dollar you stamp will reach 875 people, if you stamp 5 dollars a day for a year, that's over a million. Together, we can create a stampede that Congress can't ignore

Even if it was less than that i think that's still worth it to raise awareness

Pessimism and apathy never get anything changed.

1)What site? I see no link? eta: nevermind, I see you are referencing the one promoting the stamp.

2)Its not apathy to learn from history experience.

I know people want to feel like they are doing something, but you have to be smarter than this, if you actually want to make a dent.
edit on 24-6-2013 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

The link was provided in the OP but here it is again as you missed it stampstampede.org

Very pessimistic attitude you have, just because things are hard you shouldn't give up trying. Its never easy to make a change.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
We should be scratching and clawing, fighting back with every method possible. STOP with this "merr my voice might not get heard so ill just sit back and wait for a good idea". Get out and make change! Do you people not see what our world is coming too?! This world is so far gone. Where is your animalistic fight for survival? Being on this website can only do so much. Our numbers need to grow, the support for change must be quick. Am I the only one preaching to the still asleep? You know they really weren't lying when they said you can do whatever you want with your life. How about we all live it? Rant ended

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by safetymeeting
We should be scratching and clawing, fighting back with every method possible. STOP with this "merr my voice might not get heard so ill just sit back and wait for a good idea". Get out and make change! Do you people not see what our world is coming too?! This world is so far gone. Where is your animalistic fight for survival? Being on this website can only do so much. Our numbers need to grow, the support for change must be quick. Am I the only one preaching to the still asleep? You know they really weren't lying when they said you can do whatever you want with your life. How about we all live it? Rant ended

So its your, and the op's contention that if you do not think this idea will work you are apathetic and doing nothing?

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
as kids we uded to tear the silver strip out of the pound note and that is illegal in this country

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Judging by the other posters putting down the idea yeah. I do think that. Go outside and look at the people. Just look, what do you see. You see lazy people content with this life. If the message was working why haven't things changed?

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by safetymeeting

Judging by the other posters putting down the idea yeah. I do think that. Go outside and look at the people. Just look, what do you see. You see lazy people content with this life. If the message was working why haven't things changed?
Seriously? If you dont support an idea that has already been proven to not work, you are apathetic and lazy? SERIOUSLY?

Things dont change because people dont use their brains. THATS what I see.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Go on with your life good sir. You will see, probably too late though.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join