It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Brits campaign backfires in Ohio

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 01:24 AM
link   
A British newspapers attempt to influence voters in the pivotal state of Ohio may have had the opposite effect. The Guardian, a left leaning paper launched a program that targeted swing voters in Ohio in an attempt to sway their votes to John Kerry. The letters written by The Guardians readers were targeted at non affiliated voters in Clark County.

story.news.yahoo.com
When the left-leaning British newspaper The Guardian launched a campaign last month to allow its readers to correspond with working-class swing voters in Ohio, it hoped to start a friendly dialogue between foreigners interested in the 2004 presidential campaign and U.S. voters who would decide its outcome.

The project began a conversation, but it didn't have the desired effect.

The letters - many of which criticized the war in Iraq, spoke of fear abroad of U.S. foreign policy and implored recipients to vote President Bush out of office - were attacked as an invasion of privacy and intrusion into U.S. sovereignty. House Speaker Dennis Hastert threatened to take away The Guardian's congressional press privileges. Conservative talk show hosts Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity lambasted the project on the air.

"It fired up our side, not just in Clark County, but across the state," said Jason Mauk, spokesman for the Ohio Republican Party. "We got hundreds of calls from people reporting this to us and asking what they could do. We even heard from wavering American Democrats abroad who told us this helped them make a decision to vote for Bush."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The letters were critical of Iraq, and urged voters to oust President Bush. . House Speaker Dennis Hastert has threatened to take away the papers congressional press privileges. Even Ohio State Democrats called the effort counterproductive. It also appears to have provided the Ohio Republican Party with an issue to rally the troops. Clark County was among the 5% of the counties that went Republican compared to 2000.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 04:15 AM
link   
we go and stick our nose into other countries govt ourselves and 'help' to place the desired leaders where we want them. can't people express their opinions, even if they are not americans. i mean they are in iraq with us, they are one of our main supporters. our policies have affected them. i can understand if they question if their soliders (ie children, siblings, etc) would be over in iraq if bush didn't become the president in 2000. i doubt if they were not our main supporters in the iraq war, would any of them bothered to write. and they have been our main supporters, blair has backed us up & still continues to do so.

im not happy that it seemingly (although i have to question) made people vote for bush though. but...

new topics

join