It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mean Methane Levels reach 1800 ppb‏

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Mean Methane Levels reach 1800 ppb On May 9, the daily mean concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere of Mauna Loa, Hawaii, surpassed 400 parts per million (ppm) for the first time since measurements began in 1958. This is 120 ppm higher than pre-industrial peak levels.

This unfortunate milestone was widely reported in the media. Now another milestone has been reached that looks even more threatening than the above one. On the morning of June 16, 2013, methane levels reached an average mean of 1800 parts per billion (ppb). This is 1100 ppb higher than pre-industrial peak levels.

Source

It doesn't really explain what caused the rise in Methane clearly, I suppose there are a number of reasons that we could all go into, I just thought I would share the article and see what everyone else thought.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by sarahlm

I'm not any kind of geologist, but maybe there is a lot of underwater volcanoes spewing methane into the atmosphere (sp?)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by sarahlm

I knew this day would come. Prepare the corks men! We will soon be addressed by the U.N. that we can no longer release flatulence into our atmosphere. We are still compiling the Global Flatulence Index to see who is responsible.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I think this could indicate a large quake or volcanic eruption is about to happen. I just posted your thread on the 2013 Quake Watch thread: www.abovetopsecret.com... looking for answers by the pros

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by sarahlm

en.wikipedia.org...

Mauna Loa is one of five volcanoes that form the Island of Hawaii in the U.S. state of Hawaiʻi in the Pacific Ocean, and the largest on Earth in terms of volume and area covered

www.geo.mtu.edu...

An erupting volcano will release gases, tephra, and heat into the atmosphere. The largest portion of gases released into the atmosphere is water vapor. Other gases include carbon dioxide (CO2), sulfur dioxide (SO2), hydrochloric acid (HCl), hydrogen fluoride (HF), hydrogen sulfide (H2S), carbon monoxide (CO), hydrogen gas (H2), NH3, methane (CH4), and SiF4. Some of these gases are transported away from the eruption on ash particles while others form salts and aerosols

Seriously... Why are they measuring Methane levels from Hawaii which has active volcano's which release methane, and the measurements done on top of another volcano even though it hasn't erupted since 1984...

top topics

join