It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake County

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Before there was Paranormal Activity, before there was The Blair Witch Project--there was a charming little movie called Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake County (1998.)

It is a feature-length mockumentary style story told entirely through a handheld camera. It follows the McPherson family on the night of their 'alien abduction.' Although it is quite campy and humorous by today's standards, it set the stage for future movies to be presented in this style. Originally airing on the now extinct UPN channel, it caused a bit of a stir for those who couldn't tell whether the footage was intended to be real or fabricated.

The program caused a level of confusion and controversy upon its initial telecast that echoed earlier reality-muddying incidents such as Orson Welles' War of the Worlds radio broadcast...Another way in which this video misled its viewers, was the way in which it was filmed. The style would soon be made popular through The Blair Witch Project...and controversy and confusion also centered on the lack of disclaimers

en.wikipedia.org...:_Incident_in_Lake_County#Controversy

I remember watching the truncated and edited version as it aired. I was a young lad at the time and it was a plenty scary bit of film! Looking back, it's good for a few chuckles. Incidentally, less-than-stellar, low-budget movies with bad actors and uninspired dialogue is a hobby of mine (thanks, Hollywood!)

It's a tacky movie, but a fun one! If you have nothing better to do this weekend, pop up the popcorn, turn down the lights, and watch if you dare!

www.imdb.com...

edit on 14-6-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

I don't know what I just watched there... The end was cheesy... but the "alien" craft was quite well put together... The aliens looked a little cheesy too, but you really don't get a good look at them in any case...

Perhaps Its just ironic the camera goes fuzzy at the perfect moments, but the transformer malfunction couldn't have been faked... I've seen one spaz out like that before... They literally explode just like that...

IF this was faked... it took a lot of money to do...

I don't know what else to say about this video... has it been debunked yet? Its pretty old...

Good stuff though...

S&F
edit on 14-6-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Thanks for the vid NB! I absolutely LOVE cheesy movies and will watch it this weekend. I watched a pretty good alien abduction type movie yesterday called Dark Skies. If you haven't watched it yet it is worthy of a bucket of popcorn.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

I don't know what I just watched there... The end was cheesy... but the "alien" craft was quite well put together... The aliens looked a little cheesy too, but you really don't get a good look at them in any case...

Perhaps Its just ironic the camera goes fuzzy at the perfect moments, but the transformer malfunction couldn't have been faked... I've seen one spaz out like that before... They literally explode just like that...

IF this was faked... it took a lot of money to do...

I don't know what else to say about this video... has it been debunked yet? Its pretty old...

Good stuff though...

S&F
edit on 14-6-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

It was a movie taped just like Blair Witch to insinuate that it could be real. I saw this a few years back and I think it's pretty darn good to be honest.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

Thanks for the vid NB! I absolutely LOVE cheesy movies and will watch it this weekend. I watched a pretty good alien abduction type movie yesterday called Dark Skies. If you haven't watched it yet it is worthy of a bucket of popcorn.

I just watched this movie this past weekend. I was pleasantly surprised. I even got the wifey to watch it and she really enjoyed it even though she hates anything to do with aliens.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
has it been debunked yet?

No need to debunk it! It's definitely an amateur movie.

There's several continuity errors (people in different places when the camera makes a turn,) there's some audio problems (the girl who is supposedly playing an alien piano ditty,) not to mention the last scene where the camera is in the kitchen but everybody sounds like they're speaking in a microphone

Granny's ever-present wine glass is always full even after they seem to run through the house is another big tip-off. I never saw one drop of wine spill! I could even criticize the cheesy acting and even cheesier dialogue. (Unless the people of Lake County are just naturally cheesy
)

It was aired as a mockumentary to fool people back in the day. It's not real. You can even visit the imdb.com page (in the OP) to see the actors credited and learn some trivia about the movie.

Still a fun movie for what it's worth--and it was an important one for bringing out others like Blair Witch and Paranormal Activity.

edit on 14-6-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join