It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(politics) Toronto Cops Ready To See Red

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Toronto Cops use infrared light to view into citizen�s homes, claim it�s an excellent tool. The courts first found that the use of infrared images constituted a search under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and police should obtain warrants before use. Judge over turns drug bust of Windsor man, police should have had a warrant to use infrared imaging.

Now the Supreme Court of Canada overturned the decision, York Police are very pleased. Lawyers see it as an invasion of privacy

: www.yorkregion.com
Excerpts:

Toronto Cops Ready To See Red
York police to step up infrared use following court ruling

Nov 4, 2004
Martin Derbyshire, Staff Writer

With the freedom to use infrared technology without first obtaining a warrant, York Regional Police helicopter officers expect to be busy in the near future.

Last week, the Supreme Court of Canada overturned the decision opening the door to a more liberal use of the technology. It's a door York Regional Police are happy to be walking through.

However, in using the technology, police may be trampling all over the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, one York Region legal expert said.

"I see it as an invasion of privacy," Aurora criminal lawyer Barry Switzer said.

"The police and the courts may say I'm comparing apples to oranges here, but it seems like there is a video camera on you at all times these days, every phone call you make, there some disclaimer that comes on telling you this call may be monitored. It's Big Brother turned on its head."
Link

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I really do not like the idea of a couple of guys just flying around snooping in on the people of this country at their personal will looking into peoples homes, to see whether or not they are hiding something, this to me rings of Guilty until proven Innocent

[edit on 7/11/2004 by Sauron]

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Well it depends on what they can use the I-red light for. If some cop used it to bust me for marijuana, I would be extremly mad.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I think in the us, this has been proven to be unconstitutional.

The ability to look at the exterior walls for signatures is one thing,
but to look inside with any device is an invasion of privacy (without a warrant).

new topics

join