It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Asteroid mining company wants to put your face in space'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Just ran across this.

I think its a pretty cool marketing idea. I mean, I would pay $25 to have my face on a satellite billboard with an Earth backdrop to raise some funds. Better than Times Square. Maybe I'm a sucker.

Hail our Google Overlords!

What say you?

A privately owned asteroid mining firm, backed in part by Google Inc's founders, launched a crowd-funding project on Wednesday to gauge public interest in a small space telescope that could serve as a backdrop for personal photographs, officials said.

Planetary Resources, based in Bellevue, Washington, plans to build and operate telescopes to hunt for asteroids orbiting near Earth and robotic spacecraft to mine them for precious metals, water and other materials.

It also plans an educational and outreach program to let students, museums, armchair astronomers and virtual travelers share use of a telescope through an initiative on Kickstarter, a website used to raise funds for creative projects.

Planetary Resources aims to raise $1 million by June 30 to assess public appetite for participating in a space project. It expects to launch its first telescope in 2015.

For a pledge of $25, participants can make use of a "space photo booth" by sending a picture to be displayed like a billboard on the side of the telescope with Earth in the background. Its image would then be snapped by a remote camera and transmitted back.

Starting at $200, participants can use the telescope to look at an astronomical object.

Source

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

Thanks for bringing this to mine and others attention. I think it is very cool; I live in Seattle and I may just take a trip to Bellevue. The $25.00 price for the picture I think is very affordable for most.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
That sounds interesting. Too bad I don't live in Bellevue though (or Washington for that matter). Although...perhaps this is for the best. Because I'm not exactly a photogenic kind of guy to be honest. But then again, having Earth in the background has got to count for something right?

In any case, I would definetly encourage anyone even remotely interested to give this a shot. Because, if nothing else, you would have an interesting story to tell. Plus, the price isn't outrageously expensive.
edit on 29-5-2013 by Lunarian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Hey, this is less than an hour away from me, what say we all pitch in for the $200 and I'll go search for Nibiru? We need some type of coordinates though... $200 a pop can get expensive... Maybe we should decide the top 5 most likely locations, and try to raise an even Thou... I think its time for the 1st Annual ATS Search For Nibiru CarWash! Any ladies wanna donate their bodies to science??

We can always just take the money and go party... I'll just find some generic "nibiru" image online and we can make a thread proclaiming "Nibiru: Found!" that will get thousands of flags
And we will sell the pics of the carwash as an Unauthorized Ladies of ATS Calendar and make a bundle...Oh, I may have forgotten to mention, it will be a Bikini carwash.

Ah, crud...thinking out loud again. Really gotta stop doing that. Don't need anymore messages in my inbox with "Ill Mannered Post Removed in the subject line...

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by 3n19m470

I would "donate" my time for that!!

Wife might not be happy, but oh well.....The chance to find Nibiru!!!!
Maybe she would want to wash some cars??

So we give them $25 or $200 and they get the funding to mine asteroids for billion dollar finds??

How about if you donate money to them, you get that percentage of what they find....THEN I am in for sure!!!
edit on 5/31/2013 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join