It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people say Arafat is a terrorist?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 12:59 AM
link   
If I was a native American, I would support the slaughter of "Americans" who slaughtered us and took our land.

The sad thing is, there are barely enough Native Americans left to form anything.

The Palestinians will not allow the same to happen to them. The Israeli's are out of control, and are getting what they deserve. Especially Sharon, who needs to be removed.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Arafat is a terrorist he won't work with anyone to bring peace to his people. The former prime minister resigned because Arafat didn't want to give up power. And that is the only thing that matters to Arafat is power. You can't reach peace with violence, Israel is hear to stay, and the only way peace can be made is when Arafat is gone. And from what i hear that should be any day soon.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 01:54 AM
link   
1. The so-called "Palestinian" areas were parts of Jordan (the West Bank) and Egypt (Gaza) until they were occupied by Israel during wartime.....a war intended to utterly destroy the state of Israel and kill all of the Jews residing therein. There has NEVER been a "Palestinian" nation, nor a unified palestinian Arab people.

2. Over the past three decades, Yassir Arafat has not only engaged in terrorist activities himself, but has directly supported terrorist activities by Hamas and others against Israel, and openly advocated the destruction of Israel and the genocide of its inhabitants.

THAT'S why Arafat is a terrorist. Anyone who says otherwise is delusional.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I think it can safely be said that Zionists wrote the book on terrorism in the Middle East in their effort to drive the British out of Palestine.

For example:

- March: Anglo-American committee arrives in Palestine to investigate British white paper of 1945.

- May: Anglo-America committee report indicates 61, 000 - 69,000 armed members in Zionist organizations Stern, Haganah and Irgon; declares special armies illegal, recommends 100,000 more immigrants and the cancellation of land ownership regulations. Palestinians strike in protest.

- June: Arab League convenes in Bludan (Syria), approves 'secret' decisions and warns UK and US that ignoring Palestinian rights will affect their interests in the Arab world.

- July: British white paper on terrorism in Palestine accuses Haganah, Stern and Irgon of 'violence and destruction'.

- July 22: Irgon blows up the King David Hotel in Jerusalem killing 91 people (among them British, Palestinian and Jewish employees of the mandate)

- July: Anglo-American conference convenes in London, suggests a federal plan (M-G) to solve the Palestinian problem. Suggestions rejected by both Zionist and Palestinian leaders.
www.palestine-net.com...

Arafat is called a terrorist because he engages in and supports terrorism.

[edit on 04/11/7 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by cstyle226
If I was a native American, I would support the slaughter of "Americans" who slaughtered us and took our land.

The vast majority of Native Americans are loyal Americans and the Navajo have a storied history of valor in combat in defense of the United States.

meme.essortment.com...

navajocentral.org...

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

The vast majority of Native Americans are loyal Americans and the Navajo have a storied history of valor in combat in defense of the United States.

meme.essortment.com...

navajocentral.org...

I am aware of that, but all I'm saying is I would have never accepted that, and would have probably been killed when all the invaders were busy putting down the "resistance."

How many Native Americans are left? It's America's genocide if you ask me.

[edit on 7-11-2004 by cstyle226]

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Very true Cstyle,

If the American invasion happened right now there would be outcry on an unimaginable scale. It's only because it in in the past that so few actually think about it. Water under the bridge, lets get on with it attitude.

The sad fact is that this is what time does, with each new generation these crimes turn into the boring 1 hour history classes at school.

Arafat is not going to let people forget. As the first reply to this post said, one man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter.

I'm guessing that he does not see his attacks as terrorism, instead, he sees it as his due and just right as a palestinian. It's the same in Northern Ireland. The catholics will always see it as the British occupying "thier" Ireland, they believe it's their right to get back what they feel is theirs.

[edit on 7-11-2004 by Snoopdopey]

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   

The sad thing is, there are barely enough Native Americans left to form anything.

According to the 2000 census, there are about 4.1 million native Alaskan and American people in the US alone. More than enough to do alot of things.

As for the Palestinians, or Philistines, they have no more claim to the area than the Jews do. These two peoples have been fighting over this land since David and Goliath.

Arafat is a terrorist, because he sanctions actions whose sole purpose is to cause terror in others by striking indescriminately and at the weak and innocent. So do the Isrealis. That doesn't change the fact that Arafat is a terrorist.

www.census.gov...

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I have stated this in another thread. In the late 1800's and the early 1900's Jewish people were buying the land from Arabs who thought it was unimportant, could never support agriculture. If there were really any claims to this land by Palestinians they sold it in legal transactions long before any of us were around.

With the creation of Israel in 1948 they have constantly been attacked and have constantly defended themselves. They have given back the Sinai Penninsula with the Peace treaty between themselves and Egypt. They would more than likely give up the Gaza Strip if they could be reassured that they would not be attacked, but as of yet they have not been able to get that promise from Arafat, and now they never will.

Arafat is not a Palestinian and never was. He is Egyptian. As far as his terrorist past just ask the Israeli atheletes killed in Munich. Just ask Mr. Klinghofer about Arafats terrorist connections. Oh, I forgot that they shot and killed a wheel bound person who was American and not Israeli when thet threw him overboard of the Achilli Loro (spelling). The only reason that they did kill him was because of his name.

With the idiocy of some people, mostly younger people I hope; in about 20-30 years you will probably say Osama bin Laden is a "freedom fighter"

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snoopdopey
They took 56% of the land when they only owned 7% when it was created in 1948, AND.... They then went on to illegally occupy the West Bank and settle over 400,000 people there???

[edit on 6-11-2004 by Snoopdopey]

Israel didnt just go around unproked invading other countries.

Israel was founded on May 14, 1948 Immediately, the Arab states rejected the partitioning and invaded Israel. Israel weathered the attacks and by 1948 had actually gained some land as part of the fighting.

Finally, after numerous and persistent terrorist raids by arabs, Israel invaded Eygpt's Sanai Desert on October 29, 1956. British and French forces aided Israel briefly. A United Nations cease fire was agreed upon on November 6, beginning a shaky truce which only lasted until Egypt's President Nasser demanded the U.N. Emergency Force on May 19, 1967. Egyptian forces immediately reoccupied the Gaza Strip and closed the Gulf of Aqaba to Israeli shipping.

On June 5, the Israelis struck back in the 6 days war, retaking the Gaza strip, as well as the area on the Sinai Peninsula to the Suez Canal, and captured Old Jerusalem, Syria's Golen Heights, and Jordan's West Bank. Another U.N. arranged cease fire occured on June 10, 1967.

Egypt and Syria once again attacked Israel on October 6, 1973 on the Jewish Yom Kippur holiday, and were supplied by massive Soviet airlifts of material. Responding to the secret Soviet aid to the Arabs, the U.S. added airlift to Israel, and the Israeli's drove across the Suez Canal.

Again a cease fire was arranged on October 24, and a U.N. peace- keeping force was left in the area. Beginning on January 18, 1974, the Israeli's withdrew from the Suez Canal's West Bank, and by 1976 all troops had withdrawn from all areas except the Sinai. In 1982, Israel returned the Sinai to Egypt.

Israel has been attacked over and over again much of the land they have gained has come as a result of other countries invading them and losing. Most of the land was kept as a buffer zone to aide Israel in case of future attacks. Israel could have taken much more land then the area the kept.

www.milnet.com...

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by x_y_no
Nonsense. There has never been a "Palestinian" country - it was British territory, and before that part of the Austrio-Hungarian empire, etc.

On top of that, very many "Palestinian" families don't have particularly deep roots in the area either. Arafat, for instance, comes from Egypt.

But at any rate, the British acted entirely within their power when they agreed to the UN partition. The Jews lawfully accepted this arrangement, despite it being far short of what they believed they had divine right to. The Palestinians and their Arab supporters chose to reject this arrangement and embark on a decades-long campaign to attempt to annihilate the state of Israel. Only the most perverse of interpretations can blame this mess on the Israelis.

As for why Arafat is a terrorist - it's because he was the prime architect of the Palestinian strategy of killing innocent civilians in an effort to break the will of Israel.

---

EDIT: Portions of Arafat's family did come from Gaza. I figured I'd better clarify that before someone labels my entire post a lie due to that omission.

[edit on 6-11-2004 by x_y_no]

27% of Jewish Israeli's were not born in Israel. How deep are their roots?

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX

Originally posted by Snoopdopey
They took 56% of the land when they only owned 7% when it was created in 1948, AND.... They then went on to illegally occupy the West Bank and settle over 400,000 people there???

[edit on 6-11-2004 by Snoopdopey]

Israel didnt just go around unproked invading other countries.

Israel was founded on May 14, 1948 Immediately, the Arab states rejected the partitioning and invaded Israel. Israel weathered the attacks and by 1948 had actually gained some land as part of the fighting.

Finally, after numerous and persistent terrorist raids by arabs, Israel invaded Eygpt's Sanai Desert on October 29, 1956. British and French forces aided Israel briefly. A United Nations cease fire was agreed upon on November 6, beginning a shaky truce which only lasted until Egypt's President Nasser demanded the U.N. Emergency Force on May 19, 1967. Egyptian forces immediately reoccupied the Gaza Strip and closed the Gulf of Aqaba to Israeli shipping.

On June 5, the Israelis struck back in the 6 days war, retaking the Gaza strip, as well as the area on the Sinai Peninsula to the Suez Canal, and captured Old Jerusalem, Syria's Golen Heights, and Jordan's West Bank. Another U.N. arranged cease fire occured on June 10, 1967.

Egypt and Syria once again attacked Israel on October 6, 1973 on the Jewish Yom Kippur holiday, and were supplied by massive Soviet airlifts of material. Responding to the secret Soviet aid to the Arabs, the U.S. added airlift to Israel, and the Israeli's drove across the Suez Canal.

Again a cease fire was arranged on October 24, and a U.N. peace- keeping force was left in the area. Beginning on January 18, 1974, the Israeli's withdrew from the Suez Canal's West Bank, and by 1976 all troops had withdrawn from all areas except the Sinai. In 1982, Israel returned the Sinai to Egypt.

Israel has been attacked over and over again much of the land they have gained has come as a result of other countries invading them and losing. Most of the land was kept as a buffer zone to aide Israel in case of future attacks. Israel could have taken much more land then the area the kept.

www.milnet.com...

Let me get this straight. Israel didn't go around invading unprovoked. It was the Arabs fault. Is it possible that the creation of Israel provoked Arabs?

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Ok, i've having a look at some of the references given by members to this discussion. Basically the conflict boils down to who has "the rights" over the land of palestine. I will try and keep this limited as this information can be found on the links provided. But in order to save members going through all of it, i will try and provide the basis of the argument on the land rights.

The archeological record indicates that the Jewish people evolved out of native Cana'anite peoples and invading tribes. Some time between about 1800 and 1500 B.C., it is thought that a Semitic people called Hebrews (hapiru) left Mesopotamia and settled in Canaan. Canaan was settled by different tribes including Semitic peoples, Hittites, and later Philistines, peoples of the sea who are thought to have arrived from Mycenae, or to be part of the ancient Greek peoples that also settled Mycenae.

... Hence from the Jewish perspective, they have the original rights to the land. However, this land was invaded by the Arabs...

During the seventh century (A.D. 600's), Muslim Arab armies moved north from Arabia to conquer most of the Middle East, including Palestine. Jerusalem was conquered about 638 by the Caliph Umar (Omar) who gave his protection to its inhabitants. Muslim powers controlled the region until the early 1900's. The rulers allowed Christians and Jews to keep their religions. However, most of the local population gradually accepted Islam and the Arab-Islamic culture of their rulers

... So from the Arab perspective, even though the land originally belonged to the Jews, it had since been occupied by the Romans, before being conquered by the Arabs, who held the land for 1300 years.

After this the conflict erupts through constant political bickering and secret deals.

The Arabs felt as if they were being left out of the picture, as the British debated with the Zionist council who had the interest of securing a Jewish state in the land of Palestine. Since Palestine was under a British mandate at this time, and the population was mainly Arab, you can understand why they felt angry with these discussions.

Rioting took place as it seemed more and more likely that the Zionists would have their way with the British. In order to halt these riots the British created immigration quotas for Jews to be allowed into Palestine.

In response to the riots, the British began limiting immigration and the 1939 White Paper decreed that 15,000 Jews would be allowed to enter
Palestine each year for five years. Thereafter, immigration would be
subject to Arab approval.

However at the same time masses of Jews were being slaughtered by the Nazi's, which put ever increasing pressure on the British government to secure a Jewish state in Palestine. Add to this the fact that Jews could no longer legally immigrate to the land of Palestine, and you see how fragile the situation was.

In response to this pressure and the ever increasing rioting, the British passed the decision to create a Jewish state to The United Nations Special Commission on Palestine who recommended that Palestine should be divided into a Arab state and a Jewish state.

Since the Arabs believed that this was thier land and nobody else's, they regected this recommendation. However as we all know, the state of Israel was created in 1948. Since then Israel has been under constant attacks from the Arab states.

From reading the information provided by the members of this forum, it has become clear that no one side has the full right to the land. The Jews were the first to settle, but after an ancient war, the Arabs had lived, cultivated and put thier labour into the land for over 1000 years.

The Jews feel they have the devine right to the land, and, the Arabs feel as if their land was stolen from them by foreign powers.

In agreement with the other members, no terrorist bombings can be justified. So in this case Arafat can be labelled a "terrorist". However, from an Arab perspective the Jews can also be labelled "terrorists" because they are still occupying the land which the Arabs believe is theirs also.

From here we can take a philosophical view on things, some philosophers believe that if one has laboured on the land then it is duely theirs. While others may claim that the first settlers are the rightful owners no matter any future settlers involvement.

I hope i haven't made any members fall asleep.

Thank you to apw100 for providing a very informative link on the subject. More details can be found here. www.mideastweb.org...

I hope i have concentrated on the argument of property with this post, which i believe to be the ultimate factor in this conflict irrespective of any political leaders agenda's, political groups or secret contracts between external states.

Snoop.

[edit on 8-11-2004 by Snoopdopey]

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Who has original rights to the land is Humanity.
There is historical evidence that the earliest known modern humans evolved in what is now the state of Israel 92,000 years
If the UN can give it the UN can take it back many religious faiths have a claim to the area but tince the begining of time it has been the true world superhighway with the migration theories would that help peace many religious faiths have a claim to the area but tince the begining of time it has been the true world superhighway with the migration theories
Turn it all into a great museum with no permanent residences and no wars all are welcome. But what could the UN do with all the displaced people

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 02:40 AM
link   
THE FIRST COMMONWEALTH (ca. 1004 - 586 BCE)
ca. 1004 King David captures Jerusalem from the Jebusites. Makes Jerusalem the capital.
(As some scholars point out, King David did not found Jerusalem, but conquered an already-inhabited city that had been in existence for 2,000 years.)
1010 - 970 Reign of King David.
ca. 960 King Solomon begins to build the First Temple.
928 Division of Kingdom into Israel (north) and Judah (south).
722 Assyrians conquer northern Kingdom of Israel.
701 Hezekiah successfully withstands Sennacherib's attack on Jerusalem.
597 Babylonians capture Jerusalem.
586 Nebuchadnezzar destroys city and First Temple and exiles Jews to Babylon.
THE PERSIAN PERIOD (539 BCE - 332 BCE)
539 Fall of Babylon.
538-37 Cyrus allows Jews (about 50,000) to return to Jerusalem from Babylon
520 Works begins on the building of the Second Temple under Zerubbabel.
515 Completion and rededication of the Second Temple.
445 Nehemiah appointed governor of Judea by Artaxerxes and rebuilds city walls.
397 Ezra the Scribe initiates religious reforms.
THE HELLENISTIC PERIOD (167 BCE - CE 63)
332 Alexander the Great conquers Palestine.
323 Death of Alexander in Babylon - Wars of Succession begin.
320 Ptolemy I captures Jerusalem.
320 - 198 Rule of Egyptian Ptolemies.
198 - 167 Rule of the Syrian Seleucids.
167 Antiochus IV of Syria outlaws Juda and desecrates the Second Temple.
THE HASMONEAN PERIOD (167 BCE - CE 63)
167 - 141 Maccabean War of Liberation.
164 Judah Maccabee recaptures Jerusalem and restores Temple.
166 - 160 Rule of Judah the Maccabee.
160 - 143 Rule of Jonathan.
143 - 135 Rule of Simon Maccabeus.
ROMAN PERIOD (63 BCE - 324 CE)
63 General Pompey and his Roman legions conquer Jerusalem.
63 - 37 Hasmonean rules continue but under protection of Rome.
40 Rome appoints Herod King of Judea.
40 - CE 4 Reign of Herod the Great.
37 King Herod captures Jerusalem.
18 Herod commences rebuilding of Temple.
ca. 7 BCE - ca. 31 CE Life of Jesus of Nazareth
4 BCE Jerusalem is governed from Caesarea by Roman procurators.
Herod dies.

New Testament Period under Roman Rule (First Century CE)
26 - 36 Pontius Pilate, Roman procurator of Judea.
27 - 31 The ministry of Jesus.
31 Crucifixion of Jesus.
63 Temple completed.
66 Jews revolt against the Romans.
70 Jerusalem is demolished by Titus; survivors are exiled or sold into slavery.
132 Bar Kochba leads a doomed revolt against Rome.
135 Emperor Hadrian rebuilds Jerusalem; builds new walls and renames the city Aelia
Capitolina and country Palestine; bans Jews from Jerusalem.
BYZANTINE PERIOD (324 - 638)
313 Emperor Constantine legalizes Christianity.
324 Constantine becomes sole ruler of the empire.
326 Queen Helena discovers Gologotha and other holy sites; her son, Constantine, builds the Anastasis (Church of the Holy Sepulchre).
438 Empress Eudocia allows Jews to live in Jersualem.
614 Persian conquest of Jerusalem.
628 Emperor Heraculis recaptures the city.
EARLY MUSLIM PERIOD (639 - 1099)
638 Six years after the Mohammed's death, Caliph Omar captures Jerusalem; Jews readmitted.
691 Dome of the Rock is built by Caliph Abd al-Malik.
715 Al-Aqsa Mosque is completed by al-Walid al-Malik.
750 Power shifts from the Umayyards of Damascus to the Abbasids of Baghdad; Abbasids continue to enhance Jerusalem.
969 Fatimid conquest is soon followed by destruction of churches and synagogues.
1071 Seljuks devastate Jerusalem.
CRUSADER PERIOD (1099 - 1187)
1099 Crusaders led by Godfrey de Bouillon, capture Jerusalem; Baldwin I declared king; Jews and Muslims are slaughtered.
1187 Kurdish general Saladin captures Jerusalem from Crusaders; permits Jews and Muslims to return and settle in the city.
AYYUBID and MAMLUK PERIOD (1187-1517)
1229 Treaty returns Jerusalem to the Crusaders.
1244 Mamluk Sultans defeat the Ayyubids and rule Jerusalem; city again in Muslim hands.
1260 Mamluks of Egypt rule Jerusalem from Cairo.
1267 Rabbi Moshe Ben Nahman arrives from Spain, revives Jewish congregation.
1275 Marco Polo stops in Jerusalem on his way to China.
1291 Acre, the last Crusader stronghold in the Holy Land, is captured by the Mamluks.
1348 Black Death Plague hits Jerusalem.
1492 Jews arrive following Spanish Exile.
OTTOMAN PERIOD (1517 - 1917)
1517 Palestine and Jerusalem become part of the Ottoman Empire.
1537 - 1541 Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent rebuilds the city walls.
1799 Napoleon invades Palestine but does not try to conquer Jerusalem.
1831 Mohammed Ali of Egypt rules the country for nine years.
1838 First consulate (British) opens in Jerusalem.
1849 Consecration of Christ Church, first Protestant church in the Near East.
1860 First Jewish settlement outside walls of the city.
1892 Railroad connects the city to the coast.
1898 Visit by Dr. Theodor Herzl, founder of the World Zionist Organization.
THE BRITISH MANDATE PERIOD (1917 - 1948)
1917 British conquest and General Allenby's entry into Jerusalem.
1920 The Mandate for Palestine is conferred on Britain.
1921-29 Arab-Jewish disturbances.
1936-39 Arab-Jewish disturbances.
1925 Hebrew University buildings are inaugurated.
1947 United Nations Resolution to create a Jewish and an Arab state in Palestine.
1948 British withdraw from Palestine; the country is invaded by armies from neighboring states; the State of Israel is declared on May 14.
THE ISRAELI PERIOD (1948 - )
1948 - 49 Israel War of Liberation (also known as the "1948-1949 War").
1949 Israel-TransJordan Armistice Agreement signed; Jerusalem divided between two countries.
Jerusalem proclaimed capital of Israel; East Jerusalem is ruled by Jordan.
1967 Israelis capture Old City during Six-Day War.
1973 The Yom Kippur War.
1979 Egypt and Israel sign peace treaty.
1987 Beginning of Intifada.
1993 Israel and the PLO sign the Declaration of Principles.
1995 Israel and Jordan sign peace treaty.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join