It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: U.S. to test weapons in Australia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 03:38 AM
link   
The United States may begin testing weapons in Australian. Both governments are working on a defense training agreement that would include a multi million dollar upgrade of Australian facilities and test ranges.

www.cnn.com
SYDNEY, Australia (CNN) -- Australia's defense alliance with the United States may soon reach a new level with plans for the Pentagon to test new-generation weapons, including smart bombs, Down Under.

News reports in Australia Friday said Canberra and Washington were working on a defense training agreement which included multi-million dollar upgrades of Australian defense facilities and the weapons testing.

Australia and the U.S. have been developing ever closer militiary ties in the past decade under the auspices of the ANZUS defense treaty which was developed more than 50 years ago.

Former ANZUS treaty adviser Professor Ross Babbage, who has just returned from defense briefings in the U.S., told the Queensland state-based Courier-Mail newspaper that new fighting tactics and cutting-edge communications would be tested in Australia.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Australia and the U.S. have been forging closer and closer military ties since the ANZUS defense treaty which was signed over 50 years ago. In addition, Australia is a major partner in the F-35 JSF project. The have also worked closely in several operations including both Gulf Wars.

[edit on 11/6/04 by FredT]

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Half the country will start muttering "Maralinga". What's the matter, Nevada and New Mexico getting crowded?

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Its nothing new. They have been doing major exercises here since I can remember and I'm 36. They announced this news here six months ago, and it may involve some pre positioned equipment for exercises here at the ranges being improved.

We already have a Singaporean Brigades worth of kit stored here for the same purpose and RSAF has a training school at RAAF Base Pearce, North of Perth.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Let's not forget Australia's participation in the anti-ballistic missle shield. You scratch our back and we'll scratch yours. Btw, there's still plenty of stuff getting blown to hell in NM. I spent part of my vacation there this summer. We drove through the Alamagordo area and the automated roadblocks are still funtional, so I assume that the missles are still a flyin.

new topics

top topics

join