It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State authroity to require (or not) GMO labeling shot down by Senate.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I watch CSPAN a lot and as I listened to the vote on this and kept hearing the 'nays' I was feeling sick, fearful of hearing the end result. I finally looked for the results tonight...and I am sick.

What is this going to mean to the states that have already passed legislation? According to the below, lawsuits.

Huff Post

Sanders has noted that more than 3,000 ingredients are required to be labeled, but genetically modified ingredients are not part of that list. His state and Connecticut have passed laws to require such labeling, but Sanders said local leaders fear that large biotech corporations such as Monsanto could sue the states on the grounds that they are preempting federal authority. He said his bill would make clear that states can do what they want on the issue.

And the argument for reason it wasn't passed?

But Sen. Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich.), the chair of the Agriculture Committee, argued that the measure "is not germane to the farm bill" in the first place. She also said the labels run counter to science and the public interest in healthy food.

I beg to disagree with Sen. Stabenow.

I hope it goes to the supreme court. And where were all the republicans that tout states rights? Guess they like most of the Dem's are in Monsanto's pocket.

Whole foods and some other outlet are labeling in 2014 and they are interstate. Hoping they don't mess with them.

Anyway...sick I am. Was so hoping.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Why would anyone not want to know what is in their food...

The faith people have in big companies in frightening.

Did common sense go away in the last decade or so?

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by liveandlearn

Another win for Monsanto and the likes. God forbid someone actually knew what they were eating. They own the government so why should they lose a vote? They paid for it, so all I can say is I hope we all don't get screwed but it seems we passed that point a long time ago.

The more things change, the more they stay the same, right? Or so I heard.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I was just thinking, they are actually giving the right to corporations to decide and not the states if the continue allowing Whole Foods and others to decide and not states.

new topics

top topics

join